I <3 NM

No good Maker's Mark Watering Down Its Whisky

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Maker's Mark cuts amount of alcohol in its bourbon to meet demand | Mail Online

Maker's Mark waters down its alcohol content by 3% so it can make more
    "Someone must have put alcohol in my beer last night." ~ Mr. Richard Baty, Esq.

Paper Mill Aleworks
    I didn't realize Maker's Mark was a subsidiary of AB-InBev!
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Winston Churchill

Beer Please!
    booooooooooooooooooooo!
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

Hi.
    Another reason for me to stick with Elijah Craig, aside from the superior taste

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jtmartino View Post
    I'm with this guy. I've turned down free Maker's Mark before and bought a shot of something else at the bar.

Maker's is gagworthy which is sad because it is most people's first introduction to nice bourbons.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I'm not against Makers, I think it's good middle of the road whiskey. But this is BS that they would change their recipe to meet demand. Laws of economics here folks! Raise the price, decrease distribution, ect, ect. I'm guessing some of the higher ups screwed up and are covering their assses.

Whatever, not the end of the world, and I'm sure their marketing dept makes more than I but it seems like they are devaluing their product to me. I'd rather drink Old Crow anyways....

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I prefer Knob Creek so it doesn't affect me. Also, when Knob Creek didn't have the supply to meet demand, instead of compromising their product, they shut 'er down until they had enough (this was in 2009). It was the noble thing to do.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/lostboyscout | www.beerscout.ca
    Knolly Chilcotin | Surly Long Haul Trucker

Beer Please!
    Quote Originally Posted by bipolarbear View Post
    I'm not against Makers, I think it's good middle of the road whiskey. But this is BS that they would change their recipe to meet demand. Laws of economics here folks! Raise the price, decrease distribution, ect, ect. I'm guessing some of the higher ups screwed up and are covering their assses.

Whatever, not the end of the world, and I'm sure their marketing dept makes more than I but it seems like they are devaluing their product to me. I'd rather drink Old Crow anyways....
    That is what I was thinking, if the demand is so high, just raise the price a bit, isn't that how capitalism is supposed to work?

I don't currently own any makers mark, and after reading this I surely will not ever buy it or recommend it. I have already told a few friends about this.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Too many other good whiskeys out there to be loyal to Makers. Whether you can taste it or not, this is just telling of how they value their product and their commitment to quality. WHat's next? RR cutting back on hops in the Plineys? You'll never notice. Bud cutting back on beachwood and rice? This is ALMOST as bad as when Mad Dog 2020 stopped selling 20 oz bottles of 20% abv malt liquor!

And it seems as though this is getting more press than they would probably like too. The return of the Hitler Meme:

I <3 NM
    Brilliant marketing move...

Crop Dusting Magistrate
    Sep 2005
    Reminds me of back in the late 80's when Jack Daniels went from 90 proof to 86 proof.
    Even though I dislike JD, I did go out and buy one of the very last 90 proof bottles. I still have it...unopened.

I don't think Maker's will lose any market share doing this.
    It wasn't me

Beer Please!
    That meme was fantastic!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JFryauff View Post
    I didn't realize Maker's Mark was a subsidiary of AB-InBev!
    I love this!

Quote Originally Posted by jtmartino View Post
    The 14 yr. old is my favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by bipolarbear View Post
    Whether you can taste it or not, this is just telling of how they value their product and their commitment to quality.
    Maker's is made with different ingredients than other bourbons. It burns on the tongue, while other bourbons burn down the throat.

I'm no expert, I just live in Bourbon country and don't want them messing with success.
    I especially like Maker's 46.
    If you visit their website, they have reversed their decision to lower ABV.

The old-timer distillers sip their bourbon over crushed ice. It's meant to be mixed with a little bit of water to take the burn away.

Come on down to KY and take the Bourbon Trail Tour. You will learn a lot.
    (member of Bardstown Whiskey Society).
    ...tires sing, mud flies, dust settles, faces smile...

I <3 NM

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I have loved Makers for many years although it's definitely more of an "ever day" bourbon and not a special occasion bourbon.

I was shocked and dismayed when I heard about this....as many have suggested, why not just raise the price?

Now that they have reversed their decision but it still speaks to what their priorities are; I will think twice about this when buying as there are many alternatives that are on par and also less expensive. The price of Maker's has risen with the popularity and now they make this strange decision.

hmmm, now where is that Knob Creek of mine anyway....

~J

Beer Please!
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBNate View Post
    too late, now that I know they are part of inBev they will never get a dime of my money.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LostBoyScout View Post
    I prefer Knob Creek so it doesn't affect me. Also, when Knob Creek didn't have the supply to meet demand, instead of compromising their product, they shut 'er down until they had enough (this was in 2009). It was the noble thing to do.
    This. Makers is my back-up of my back-up of my back-up if the don't have Knob Creek.
    Pisgah Area SORBA

Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    ... your idea of technical may be much different than other peoples idea of technical.

I <3 NM
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    too late, now that I know they are part of inBev they will never get a dime of my money.
    Mine either - although I have had Know Creek in my cabinet since '08.

mtbr member
    Elijah Craig 12 year is good stuff as well... or their 20 yr, if you're feeling spendy.
    Pisgah Area SORBA

Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    ... your idea of technical may be much different than other peoples idea of technical.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Gotta love Maker's Mark!