mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Lost breweries...

Wife and I were talking about summer beers a week back. Noticed we have not seen Pete's Strawberry Blonde for awhile. After a quick check we found out Pet's closed. Always loved Strawberry Blonde and their Winter Brew.

got me thinking of other "lost" brews, Catamount was a favorite of mine in the early 90's out of Vermont. What breweries do you miss?

Paper Mill Aleworks
    Pete's went the way of extinction under The Gambrinus Company, whom just didn't see the revenue stream it had hoped.

Catamount imploded, lack of good marketing strategy, and a nervous board of directors.

I miss Heavyweight Brewing from NJ, always great stuff to try as a newer craft beer enthusiast.
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Winston Churchill

beater

Lost breweries...

I have a signed copy of Pete's book that I found in a Palo Alto bookstore's bargain bin in summer '96. They must have had a book signing that didn't go as well as they hoped. Anyway, it was an interesting read.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    We had Sacramento Brewing Company here in town. Big selection of brews, but my favorite was SacSquatch, a big, malty Scottish brown ale.

When the economy took a dump, the brewery closed up.They had new owners that thought they were just buying a resturant with a minor brewing operation. However, the resturant was there to support and prop up the brewery. It was more than they bargained for and they folded in the late 2000's.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

mtbr member
    Sorry for the tangent, but I've been told that Abita has a nice strawberry beer out now. I haven't had it though.
    You're so cute internet tough guy. Noogie...Noogie...Noogie.

Beer Please!
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewtality View Post
    We had Sacramento Brewing Company here in town. Big selection of brews, but my favorite was SacSquatch, a big, malty Scottish brown ale.

When the economy took a dump, the brewery closed up.They had new owners that thought they were just buying a resturant with a minor brewing operation. However, the resturant was there to support and prop up the brewery. It was more than they bargained for and they folded in the late 2000's.
    That is weird, most brew pubs do super well no matter what the economy is doing. My wife has been taking hospitality classes in college and the brew pub is the most profitable of all hospitality models out there. Something like 250%.

There was a Brewery in San Diego called Airdale that I won't say I miss because I only had a chance to try one of their beers, it was a good beer, but they had no tasting room, no bottles, no growlers, the only way to try the beer was to find it on tap, or buy a keg at BevMo. They have been gone for a few years now.
    telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

mtbr member
    Bert Grants brewery here in Yakima, WA was a pioneer of the craft industry and ahead of its time. Opened in 1982 and operated until 2004. Bert passed away in 2001.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by boostin View Post
    Bert Grants brewery here in Yakima, WA was a pioneer of the craft industry and ahead of its time. Opened in 1982 and operated until 2004. Bert passed away in 2001.
    Grant's is what came to mind for me as well. One of the first breweries in the country to brew both India Pale Ale and Russian Imperial Stout in bottles.

mtbr member
    I remember Grants. I also have fond memories of Smith and Reilly. Honest beer was one of my first steps on the road to craft beer.
    Only two infinite things exist: the universe and stupidity. And, I am unsure of the universe
    - Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    It's been gone for a while now. I still miss Morro Bay Brewery along the California coast.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Yeah, Grants was one of the originals, for sure! I met Bert a couple of times, cool dude.
    I miss a lot of the old-school NW brewers- Saxer, Portland Brewing, Thomas Kemper.
    Then again, we have such an embarrassment of riches, that we should be able to pull thru.