mtbr member
    Mar 2012

long term bar build

We all need a place to enjoy a good drink or three. My house has a large basement and in the 70s some one had built a super cool bar with the super stylish press board wood paneling. They also covered up the large brick chimney with the fake wood as well. I've decided to give a little life back into my basement with a refreshed bar and hang out space. Sadly i think when they built the existing bar they had a few too many while building it because its a train wreck. So I'll be building a new one from scratch moving the location to the other side of the basement to make better use of the space and existing water and drain lines. Its going to be a long slow low budget project goal is to have a function bar by labor day weekend.

The staring point

Got the wood panels removed covering the brick work. and that's where I'm at now. Hopefully over the next few weeks I can start getting a layout set up and start building the new bar

Name:  IMG_0033.JPG
Views: 687
Size:  40.9 KB
    Keep access to public lands open.
    http://30daysofbikingerie.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Glad to see you're uncovering the brick - it's a shame to hide that awesome character. I would love to have exposed brick in my place. Good luck with the project.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/lostboyscout | www.beerscout.ca
    Knolly Chilcotin | Surly Long Haul Trucker

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!

Re: long term bar build

Agreed... I'm contemplating putting in brick veneers for a look that is a little more "industrial" and has some more character than just paint. Nice!

Paper Mill Aleworks
    Exposed brick
    Looks like a great area to start with.
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Winston Churchill

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!

Re: long term bar build

Agreed... I'm contemplating putting in brick veneers for a look that is a little more "industrial" and has some more character than just paint. Nice!

~~~
    Very cool! Keep the updates coming!

When we were house shopping several years back, we saw a lot of houses that were remodeled in the 70's and so many of them had the man cave/bar that was so popular. This looks all too familiar!

mtbr member
    Nice project.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    thanks for the kind words everyone. I'll get a few more photos tonight of the old bar stripped down

could be cool. I dunno about the brick veneer, though. I'd try to find a way to frame the brick you have and showcase it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I wont be adding a brick venner I think that was another poster talking about something they would like to do to give an industrial look.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    had the day off today so I moved the old bar to roughly were I'd like to build the new one. I plan on removing the slop sink and replacing it with a smaller sink and a kegorator

~~~
    Give it a trial run by drinking a beer or three there.

mtbr member
    Is there already a home bar thread, or should this become the official mtbr home bar thread? I don't have a home bar, but I want inspiration.
    You're so cute internet tough guy. Noogie...Noogie...Noogie.

Beer Please!
    How did I miss this thread when it posted 2 weeks ago?

What a great Idea, first I am jealous that you have a basement to begin with, homes with basements in California are very hard to come by.

I am guessing that the hanging ceiling is covering pipes and other ugly looking stuff? You have plans to do anything with that ceiling?

Are you going to make it into a lounge type setting with comfy seats so you can sit and contemplate the beer you drink there?

I am really looking forward to this build. My wife and I almost turned our third room in our house into a lounge with a bar. Instead it became a second bedroom for family and friends to stay in.
    telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

~~~

long term bar build

Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post

I am really looking forward to this build. My wife and I almost turned our third room in our house into a lounge with a bar. Instead it became a second bedroom for family and friends to stay in.
    If I were to stay with you, I'd be perfectly happy sleeping in the bar.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    How did I miss this thread when it posted 2 weeks ago?

What a great Idea, first I am jealous that you have a basement to begin with, homes with basements in California are very hard to come by.

I am guessing that the hanging ceiling is covering pipes and other ugly looking stuff? You have plans to do anything with that ceiling?

Are you going to make it into a lounge type setting with comfy seats so you can sit and contemplate the beer you drink there?

thanks. I do plan on having some really comfortable chairs and such down there and possibly a TV or projector screen mounted on the brick wall. The drop tiles cover up pipes and electrical stuff. I'd love to do something with them but right now they fit in the "not broken and don't have $ to replace category"

Beer Please!
    Have you thought about painting them to help remove some of that static white feel they give off?
    telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    hmm never thought about painting them. Something to think about.

Beer Please!

mtbr member
    Check the distance between the bar and the sink. You want to turn around without taking a step to put the drinks on the bar...