Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Lagunitas - Brown Shugga

I stopped in to one of the bodega style liquor stores that I only visit when I am headed to my Mom's for dinner and need to bring some good beer. You know the place, smells kind of stale, run by really shady characters that you have no idea how they get a liquor license or what language they speak, but they manage to have a pretty decent selection so someone knows what they are doing.

Anyways, I came across this six pack of Lagunitas Brown Shugga. Apparently, they intended to sweeten up a Barley Wine with some brown sugar, but what they ended up with was a whole different style of beverage. At first taste is was kind of like a barley wine or a sweet double ipa (circa Small Batch 471). However, any signs of sweet were complemented well by a good balance of hops and malts. The more I drank it, the more I appreciated how delicious this beverage is. At 9.5% and $10.99 a six pack, I was really impressed. I really wanted a 471, but that is now more expensive ($14.99 to $17.99 a six pack). The Brown Shugga was great for the price, warmed me up while outside on a cold afternoon, and I will definately pick some up again. I recommend pouring it into a goblet.

Making Milk by Day, Beer by Night

Sweat is just fat crying.
    Oh hell yeah.
    Mountain Biking Is Not A Crime stickers, free! (You pay postage. PM me for details.)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pynis McDermott
    I stopped in to one of the bodega style liquor stores that I only visit when I am headed to my Mom's for dinner and need to bring some good beer. You know the place, smells kind of stale, run by really shady characters that you have no idea how they get a liquor license or what language they speak, but they manage to have a pretty decent selection so someone knows what they are doing.

Anyways, I came across this six pack of Lagunitas Brown Shugga. Apparently, they intended to sweeten up a Barley Wine with some brown sugar, but what they ended up with was a whole different style of beverage. At first taste is was kind of like a barley wine or a sweet double ipa (circa Small Batch 471). However, any signs of sweet were complemented well by a good balance of hops and malts. The more I drank it, the more I appreciated how delicious this beverage is. At 9.5% and $10.99 a six pack, I was really impressed. I really wanted a 471, but that is now more expensive ($14.99 to $17.99 a six pack). The Brown Shugga was great for the price, warmed me up while outside on a cold afternoon, and I will definately pick some up again. I recommend pouring it into a goblet.

funny you mention this. picked up a case of that one last week. surprisingly not much talk about it here.

gimme friction
    Excellent choice. Lotsa folks say it's better with age, but I like it fresh.

Them boys at Lagunitas sure know how to handle the hops...
    Johnny Ryall rode MTB

Relax. I'm a pro.
    Feb 2004
    Those fellas seem like they're having a lot of fun, eh?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Good stuff, not for the faint of heart. Try drinking one after a ride or on an empty stomach

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lil'stink
    Good stuff, not for the faint of heart. Try drinking one after a ride or on an empty stomach
    a few friends have indicated similar. personally, i haven't found the current release to be overpowering.

jrm
    mtbr member

Like that stuff

The Hairy Eyeball and Granlywine cant be to far behind...

Relax. I'm a pro.
    Feb 2004
    I had a sixer of The Hairy Eyeball a year or two or three ago. Good stuff, great name for a brew.

Former Bike Wrench
    currently consuming 102 IBU's of Hop Stoopid as I type!

Former Bike Wrench
    Yep, drinkin' Brown Shugga' right now...very nice!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    currently consuming 102 IBU's of Hop Stoopid as I type!

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmhhhhh! I love me the hop stoopid. In fact, I love it so much that I have to deny myself the wonderful brew at times just so I don't get too used to it or complacent with it. You know? Something that delicious has to be enjoyed in moderation. Otherwise, it starts to become that beer by which you set the standard, and therefore, you are left with nothing but eminent letdowns.
    Making Milk by Day, Beer by Night

jrm
    mtbr member

Its bbbbbbaaaaaaccccccckkkkkkkkk

be on the lookout. Sure wish they'd release it in bombers though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    My new ritual is a weekend ride at Annadel, followed up with a stop off at the Lagunitas Brewery Taproom. The smoked briskett paired with a couple of lil sumpin ales cures anything. They always have a variety of brews that aren't available elsewhere. Good live music there sometimes too. Parking can be a chore sometimes but it is worth your time. Drop in the next time you are near Petaluma CA.

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jrm View Post
    Fantastic! I was so bummed that they got too high to make it last year...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclotic View Post
    funny you mention this. picked up a case of that one last week. surprisingly not much talk about it here.
    Not recently at least

It's a great beer but they couldnt make the batch last year due to hop availability so I'll have to keep an eye out as it's delicious.

mtbr member
    Based on these comments I'm thinking I should try to find this and give it a try. I've liked everything I've every tried from this brewery.
    Life is like riding a bicycle - in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving. ~Albert Einstein

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by gaba View Post
    My new ritual is a weekend ride at Annadel, followed up with a stop off at the Lagunitas Brewery Taproom. The smoked briskett paired with a couple of lil sumpin ales cures anything. They always have a variety of brews that aren't available elsewhere. Good live music there sometimes too. Parking can be a chore sometimes but it is worth your time. Drop in the next time you are near Petaluma CA.
    Stopped by there when I was in the area on vacation in september. Really cool place. Live music out back every day at 4:20

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by jrm View Post
    Almost all beers that you can buy in 12 oz and 22 oz bottles are more expensive per oz. in the bomber format. Since Brown Shugga is currently a seasonal release, and it's harder to make than Hop Stoopid (and takes more ingredients,) I would assume it would be at least $6 a bomber, whereas six 12 oz. bottles is only $10. A much better deal in the six pack.

Beer Please!
    Quote Originally Posted by jtmartino View Post
    Almost all beers that you can buy in 12 oz and 22 oz bottles are more expensive per oz. in the bomber format. Since Brown Shugga is currently a seasonal release, and it's harder to make than Hop Stoopid (and takes more ingredients,) I would assume it would be at least $6 a bomber, whereas six 12 oz. bottles is only $10. A much better deal in the six pack.
    The worst part about that is so many of my favorite beers only come in Bombers....

If I could get Ballast Point Victory at Sea in a sixxer that would be fantastic!
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jtmartino View Post
    I love my growlers but it seems like most of the time you're either breaking even or paying more for beer when getting it 64oz at a time, at least here in GA.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Love the Brown Shugga was happy to find it on tap at our local Tap House 7 Monks here in Traverse City, MI

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Just picked up a sixer of this last week. Great stuff from Lagunitas. Was wondering why I was "feeling" one beer, then looked at the alcohol percentage. By the fourth it was almost lights out.

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cammccarty View Post
    By the fourth it was almost lights out.
    Damn, buddy...go big or go home!!

mtbr member
    I had a 6 pack of Brown Shugga about two weeks ago. Very tasty and numbed away the pain from trying to get back into running for the winter.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast