mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Just drank a damn good Belgium ale

Belgiums are hit and miss w/me - more miss. This one was very good. After drinking this one I'd like to try the Trappist Westvleteren 12 you all rave about. This was sort of a fruity, caramel, barleywine flavor to me. It seemed a very dangerous of a drinker as it did not seem like a 10.5% ale.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    looks thick

Paper Mill Aleworks
    It's a very well balanced beer, dark toffee and nice little alcohol burn, it's always been a favorite of mine.
    Check out Cuvée Van De Keizer Blauw (Blue) if you can, it's similar in style/taste, but I think it beats out the Draak just a tad.
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Winston Churchill

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by JFryauff View Post
    It's a very well balanced beer, dark toffee and nice little alcohol burn, it's always been a favorite of mine.
    Check out Cuvée Van De Keizer Blauw (Blue) if you can, it's similar in style/taste, but I think it beats out the Draak just a tad.
    Thanks, I will. Belmont Station has a whole section dedicated to beers like this - I'll look for that next time I'm there.

Hi.
    Also check out the Rochefort beers (6, 8 and 10), and St. Bernadus 12. Between the 1940s and 1990s, St. Bernadus was the contract brewer for the St. Sixtus monastery, who is known for their Westvleteren beers. It's a good alternative to Westy 12, since the yeast stain and recipes are similar.

Beer Please!
    Welcome to the wide world of belgiums!

Now that you have adapted your pallet time to try a Geueze.
    telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

Beer Me!
    Quote Originally Posted by jtmartino View Post
    Also check out the Rochefort beers (6, 8 and 10), and St. Bernadus 12. Between the 1940s and 1990s, St. Bernadus was the contract brewer for the St. Sixtus monastery, who is known for their Westvleteren beers. It's a good alternative to Westy 12, since the yeast stain and recipes are similar.
    Solid suggestions the Golden Draak is considered a "Belgian Dark Strong" this was the first beer style that got me fully hooked on craft beer, so i get how you are into them.

Some of my personal favorites in this style not mentioned already are:
    Tres Pistoles by Unibroue
    Brother Thelonius by Northcoast
    Alligash Black
    Nostradamus by Brasserie Caracole
    Three Philosophers by Ommegang (this one was my "conversion" beer, first beer i ever said "i didn't know beer could taste like this" too)

I am sure there are more, but those came into my head right away.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Picked up a few of your suggestions

Hi.
    Oh man you're gonna enjoy those. Serve them at 52-55 degrees F for the right experience .

Paper Mill Aleworks
    Great selection! Had two out of three last night, great stuff!
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Winston Churchill

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    The Rochefort 10 was very good.

I hate hog damage.
    Nov 2007
    St Bernardus Abt 12 is one of my favorites. I could drink it all day. Gulden Draak is interesting, but I'm not a huge fan. With Belgians, you want to drink them out of a goblet. Or out of the bottle...or off the floor if you happen to spill it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    The Cuvee was very similar to the Draak, but seemed a bit more "caramel" or sweet to me - hard to tell w/out a side by side. Very good though.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mg6682 View Post
    The Cuvee was very similar to the Draak, but seemed a bit more "caramel" or sweet to me - hard to tell w/out a side by side. Very good though.
    Man, its taking me a while to drink this one - seems like a never ending bottle Lips are sticking to my glass - lots of caramel. Gonna have to buy another bottle for storage. I know peeps who're gonna like this.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    It's "Belgian" ale and you are drinking it out of a Sam Adams Boston Lager Glass! Double Faux pas!!!

Just giving you a hard time.

I tend to lean towards the darker belgians as well.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Belgiums are hit and miss w/me - more miss.[/IMG]
    Curious as to which ones you've had and didn't like. It would be good information if you would like other suggestions.

While not as dark as Gulden Draak, Delerium Tremens and Tripel Karmeliet are two reasonably easy ones to find that I really enjoy.

Also, a red wine glass will do if you don't have any Belgian tulips to drink from...but if you keep on this path something tells me that you will soon have a few tulip glasses.

Moderator Moderator
    I'm more partial to the darker Belgians as well. If you can find it, try the Grand Cru from Brasserie des Rocs.

Brasserie Des Rocs Brewery

Get a good tulip glass as others have mentioned!
    Niner Bikes employee. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Niner-...3652275?ref=ts
    Front Range Forum Moderator

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Boognish View Post
    Curious as to which ones you've had and didn't like. It would be good information if you would like other suggestions.

While not as dark as Gulden Draak, Delerium Tremens and Tripel Karmeliet are two reasonably easy ones to find that I really enjoy.

Also, a red wine glass will do if you don't have any Belgian tulips to drink from...but if you keep on this path something tells me that you will soon have a few tulip glasses.
    Well, to be honest, the last time I had a Belgium prior to these I thought Coors was good beer. Went from Coors to Dead Guy Ale. Now that I've had a chance to sample some of the good, oak aged special reserve beers, Dead Guy tastes like water. Here's where the Belgiums are now stepping in. So far, most of my liked beers, across the board, tend to be darker and stronger ABV. I dont mind a little sweetness or fruit, but overboard on the grapefruit or sugar and I really dont care for it. I do like IPA's, but more of a 90 min IPA flavor.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    The darker Belgium style ales are definately taking over my taste buds - this one is probably one of the best tasting beers I've had in a while. Sorta of a sweet, malty flavor, something flavor - kind of like a 90 min IPA crossed w/a Belgium. Very good.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    By far my favorite - gonna go buy a few more of these.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    This one was good - sort of a caramel w/a taste of alcohol (12%). Worth trying.

mtbr member
    one of my favorites, if you find it try it quality beer. easy drinking, a little sweet,with a touch of Belgian candy sugar.Nostradamus - Brasserie Caracole - Falmignoul, Belgium - BeerAdvocate

Paper Mill Aleworks
    This one was good - sort of a caramel w/a taste of alcohol (12%). Worth trying.

"Scaldis Noel"
    Very tasty stuff...I actually used two bottles of it in a recent stew we made, and man did it lend some great flavors.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    +1 on the St Bernardus Abt 12

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    the gouden carolus (pictured above) in red from either 2009 or 2011 is (i think) the best belgian ale out there...but that's if you like it lighter, as i do. yum!