Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: IPA popularity

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I used to despise IPAs until one night after a long cold ride. Got back to the truck and someone cracked open and IPA and handed it over...can't turn down a free beer, so I went for it. I don't know what happened that night but i've been hooked to IPA since. Ranger is a favorite and easy to find. Snake dog IPA, Dog fish head 60 minute IPA, Aviator Hog Wild IPA are some of my favorites. Something about that bitterness just works for me.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    thanks for sharing

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I got hooked on IPA during last cross season... they seem to go great with biking!

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Quote Originally Posted by thisisbenji View Post
    I got hooked on IPA during last cross season... they seem to go great with biking!
    Yes, I can see how an IPA pairs well with cold weather, rain and mud

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Seems everyone I talk to, work their way up to the IPA's. Not sure I like em' too hoppy for me. I suppose the high Alc content is benefit.

mtbr member
    IPA's are always what I drink unless there is a free option. I'm not much into beer, and IPA is the only type I enjoy the taste of, never went through any other stages. I'm glad they are much more available now, used to be my only option pretty much was to get a growler at Phantom Canyon in Colorado Springs. Still can't beat their creamy bitterness from a bottle, and basement temp really lets you taste it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    IPA's are definitely an acquired taste, but once you have it, look out. There is also nothing better in the world than a great bike ride followed by a great IPA.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I've been a big IPA fan for a few years now. I think the draw is simplification & amplification - they simplify what makes a good brew (hoppy flavor, no extreme flourishes or flavors) and amplify those qualities, often resulting in a higher gravity & stronger flavor. They are a beer drinker's beer, and I'd agree somewhat of an acquired taste. It's easy for them to seem like too much at first, but stick with it and good things will happen. Perfect post-ride brew.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rydbyk View Post
    They taste like they have tree sap brewed into them or something of that nature. Is just the high amount of hops?
    Yup, the extra hops is what makes an IPA taste that way. I wouldn't call it like tree sap though. I love IPAs. They gotta be nice and cold though. It's not hard to acquire a taste for them. They taste just like a lager, but more hoppy. Another good thing about a beer that is high in hoppiness is that hops are supposed to act like an anti-inflammatory so if your aching after a hard ride, and IPA is a perfect choice.

puts the FU in fun
    I got into IPAs because they're everywhere. The main local brewery here in Kansas City, Boulevard, has been making their Pale Ale for years, and it's one of their most popular beers. Therefore it's available at every bar, liquor store, convenience store and grocery store in the area. It might not be a "true" IPA, but drinking it made me realize I liked hoppy beers, and sent me down a slippery, albeit delicious, slope.
    Everything in moderation. Including moderation.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Ipa

Check out Moylans, Novato, CA
    4-5 diffeent IPA's and a good place to find one you like.

mtbr member
    I'm a strait hop head and drink them almost exclusively. But that's not to say I won't drink some other fine crafted beers. Personally I think brewers as a whole are putting a lot of efforts into making the ultimate IPA. Because of this we are all reaping the benefits....... One non IPA I am looking forward to trying is the laguanitas brown shugga. I have heard great things.

mtbr member
    I just can't get into them...not refreshing to me at all with all the hops...but then again...I usually just drink Coors Light

I like most Pale Ales..that is about as much hops as I can stand.
    Last edited by TiGeo; 11-30-2012 at 06:12 PM.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Finally its Friday, Aaaaaah!!

IPA popularity-ipa.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by danorano View Post
    Yup, the extra hops is what makes an IPA taste that way. I wouldn't call it like tree sap though. I love IPAs. They gotta be nice and cold though. It's not hard to acquire a taste for them. They taste just like a lager, but more hoppy. Another good thing about a beer that is high in hoppiness is that hops are supposed to act like an anti-inflammatory so if your aching after a hard ride, and IPA is a perfect choice.
    You're right, I wouldn't call it tree sap either. I believe the term they use to describe that flavor is resinous or piney.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Id scrap the passion forum all together, its a breeding ground for unicorn milkers, rainbow chasers and candy cotton farters.

mtbr member
    You gotta warm up a good IPA to get the taste! Too cold numbs them, removes the pinesol taste

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Personally, I think many brewers hop away their mistakes. I love ipa's along with many other styles off beers. But I have noticed that many of the ipa's are hoppy without balance. But one thing I haven't considered when tasting these beers on tap is that they may have been flavored for bottling. I usually don't drink much beer at home because there are great beers on tap everywhere in Portland.

I thing I do agree with a previous poster is that most of the time ipa's are served way too cold. I'll often order two in non chilled glasses and experience the beer as it warms up.

Bridgeport used to have hand pulled ipa's way back in the day. Ummm, that brings back some good memories.

But I'll drink many different styles of beer. Honestly the best beer is a free beer. If your buying, I'll probably drink it with a smile as long as its a craft style beer.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by CuzinMike View Post
    I got into IPAs because they're everywhere. The main local brewery here in Kansas City, Boulevard, has been making their Pale Ale for years, and it's one of their most popular beers. Therefore it's available at every bar, liquor store, convenience store and grocery store in the area. It might not be a "true" IPA, but drinking it made me realize I liked hoppy beers, and sent me down a slippery, albeit delicious, slope.
    They make the Doublewide IPA which is very tasty as well!

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Quote Originally Posted by Poe4soul View Post
    Personally, I think many brewers hop away their mistakes. I love ipa's along with many other styles off beers. But I have noticed that many of the ipa's are hoppy without balance. But one thing I haven't considered when tasting these beers on tap is that they may have been flavored for bottling. I usually don't drink much beer at home because there are great beers on tap everywhere in Portland.

I thing I do agree with a previous poster is that most of the time ipa's are served way too cold. I'll often order two in non chilled glasses and experience the beer as it warms up.

Bridgeport used to have hand pulled ipa's way back in the day. Ummm, that brings back some good memories.

But I'll drink many different styles of beer. Honestly the best beer is a free beer. If your buying, I'll probably drink it with a smile as long as its a craft style beer.
    Yeh, I have heard that it is easy to mask brewing mistakes with lots of hops in an IPA.. Apparently you don't use an IPA to determine who is the most skilled brewer out there.. not sure if this is correct...just been told this.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    It gets me drunk on a "low" budget.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I enjoy IPAs for their complex bitter tastes. They are definitely an acquired taste but are definitely at the top of my list.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    for me why i like IPA's, Dipa's, triple IPA's(weyerbacher hop'solutely) is simple, i used to like weed, the smell feel taste of good bud was awesome, but i have a job that does random testing, enter the humble hop, distant cousin of weed, that resiny goodnees, the aroma, ah I love hops, strange right? but thats just me

mtbr member
    reported

Except when I'm driving
    Mar 2012
    I used to not like IPAs now I don't want anything else. I'm not sure what happened, maybe I just grew to like it after drinking so many pilsners and having to get up 5 times a night to piss. I think the aroma of the hops puts you in some sort of trance like state also, a different feeling than less hoppy ales. I would agree that drinking an IPA or two or three after a ride makes everything good.
    I'm bored and at work or else I would be riding

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Hop Shortage from Knee Deep Brewing. #sogood

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast