Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: IPA popularity

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Love the IPA's unless they overdue it on the hops

I love candy, unless they overdo it on the sugar.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Id scrap the passion forum all together, its a breeding ground for unicorn milkers, rainbow chasers and candy cotton farters.

Jul 2012
    I find that the hoppiness of an IPA is at first an acquired taste that can then become addicting - kinda like hot sauce. At first it's unappealing, but with more tries you develop a palate, and eventually get into the habit of pushing the taste (meausred in IBUs for beer, Scoville Heat Units for sauce) further and further.

I also agree with someone's earlier point that because the most mainstream breweries are unlikely to produce IPAs due to their limited appeal, they are more popular with micros.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy View Post
    "I feel like I am missing out on something, but my taste buds lead me to other types of beer more along the lines of a Guinness... :

Man, Guiness sucks. Try Lion Stout or Samuel Smith's Imperial Stout. I'm not going to try to talk you into IPAs, either you like them or you don't.
    I don't think Guiness sucks at all. It's just a different kind of stout, not at all as rich or flavorful as many others, but it is not supposed to be. But I think it is a great choice when I want to drink something that goes down easy, clean and refreshing, but still has flavor. Low cal, too. As awesome as many Imperial Stouts are, they are simply a whole different animal from something like Guiness. It's apples and oranges.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

FX4
    mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    You haven't had a Guiness until you have had one in Ireland! Yum. Has nothing to do with American IPAs or stouts though. Different thing.

Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by FX4 View Post
    You haven't had a Guiness until you have had one in Ireland! Yum. Has nothing to do with American IPAs or stouts though. Different thing.
    I'll second that. Once you have one from the Guiness factory, you can't really drink 'em back over in the States anymore.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by baybiker9 View Post
    I'll second that. Once you have one from the Guiness factory, you can't really drink 'em back over in the States anymore.
    I'd love to taste a Guiness like it's supposed to taste, not the yuck that is available here in the US of A (sorry Guiness lovers). There are just so many others available here that are better than Guiness.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    What happened to me was I started drinking IPA's and I can't go back to anything else. Everything else I try doesn't have the pow flavor profile I now require. It's like IPA's have done something to my palette. Yeah I know everyone is different, yeah I know people are going to say I haven't tried this or that. But, my point is that is what I believe is the cause of the popularity. The big beer hoppy off the scale flavor. Just my two cents. I don't know jack about beer. Just that if I stop drinking it, Stone and a few others will notice it on their spreadsheets.
    Ride it like you stole it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Most american big brewers use rice as the grain of choice to build up sugars in the wort. It was like coffee 20 years ago in this country, We didn't know what we were missing. My parents drank folgers and Uban. Then whole bean coffee started to be more and more common in the stores. Most IPA's are brewed with real ingrediants and not overely processed. With all the choices of grains, HOPS and even yeast strains they become an art form as well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by rydbyk View Post
    Why so popular with so many people all of a sudden?

I haven't read all of the posts.

In short, flavor, combined with pinpoint marketing, add in a dash of media (Internet beer forums...).......and you get the new superhero of beers.

I was the standard Coors light "effing near water" consumer for years. About 5 years ago I tried a Lagunitas IPA and everything changed.

mtbr member
    IPA's are good summer beers to, very smooth and refreshing on a hot day

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Quote Originally Posted by baybiker9 View Post
    I find that the hoppiness of an IPA is at first an acquired taste that can then become addicting - kinda like hot sauce. At first it's unappealing, but with more tries you develop a palate, and eventually get into the habit of pushing the taste (meausred in IBUs for beer, Scoville Heat Units for sauce) further and further.

I also agree with someone's earlier point that because the most mainstream breweries are unlikely to produce IPAs due to their limited appeal, they are more popular with micros.
    Hot sauce was invented to mask the taste of spoiled meats. High IBUs is just an attempt to mask crap beer...

Just kidding..

I have not completely written off IPAs. I can definitely see how they are an acquired taste and a fun style to learn to appreciate...

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    In my country, the Netherlands, beer = watery lager by Inbev or some other megacorp. I am glad that I discovered local breweries with all kinds of great IPA's, stouts, smoked, Kölsch, zwarzbier.

FX4
    mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Didn't Inbev buy all the crappy brewers in the U.S. too?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    Lagers are beers for people with no taste, and poor judgement. Darks are reserved for those who will subject themselves to syrupy foul liquids only to wake up to mud-butt and regret and disregard fine taste completely.

IPA's are reserved for the finest of us, the most astute of beer drinkers. Those of us with better judgement, and fine taste. Savor the pine! All the rest is the devils beer.
    THIS!

Honestly, IPA's are an acquired taste and if you're still on pilsners and lagers then you're still in the "training wheel stages" of beer drinking.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    Last edited by Gman086; 09-20-2012 at 03:14 PM.
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

Beer Me!
    ^^^^ Pretty dang sure you are a spammer.
    My Bike: FORM Cycles Titanium Prevail 29er

"Any wheel size is better than sitting at a computer all day." -Myself

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guerdonian View Post
    WTF?! First time I've ever been accused of that!!! Pretty dang sure you're a poser!

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Where'd that come from? Did I miss something?
    Ride it like you stole it.

Here's how I see it playing out:

G MAN posts, spam-bot posts, Guerdonian calls out spam-bot, mods remove spam, it subsequently looks like Guerdonian called G MAN a spammer, G MAN flips ****, Deano thinks he may have missed something, I post this; Guerdonian may or may not corroborate my story. Yay.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Id scrap the passion forum all together, its a breeding ground for unicorn milkers, rainbow chasers and candy cotton farters.

Paper Mill Aleworks
    Quote Originally Posted by monzie View Post

G MAN posts, spam-bot posts, Guerdonian calls out spam-bot, mods remove spam, it subsequently looks like Guerdonian called G MAN a spammer, G MAN flips ****, Deano thinks he may have missed something, I post this; Guerdonian may or may not corroborate my story. Yay.
    Then I neg rep all of you just for good measure!
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Winston Churchill

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I think I speak for all of us here when I say "huh?"
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I drink whatever beer tastes nice to me - not so I can talk about it like a wine toff.

My case in point:
    http://youtu.be/RjIoJGyhAgk

mtbr member
    'cause hops are like crack?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IPA popularity-lupulin.jpg  

mtbr member
    hi. my name is JC and i'm a recovering hophead.

I used to be all IPAs all the time. But i think beer prefernces change all the time. And right now I prefer pilsners, light lagers...hell, i'm even enjoying the O'fest / Marzen beers right now.

But I'm drinking a Bridgeport Kingpin while I make my daughter and I dinner!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by monzie View Post

LMAO! Okay, I think you nailed it. Sorry Guerdonian!

Carry on and CHEERS!

G MAN

PS - Great post JChasse!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast