Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: IPA popularity

Beer Please!
    It is a personal taste thing, I think a large number of people are into IPA's because it is so trendy to be into them.

Personally I prefer Porter's and Stouts, Belgiums and sours over any other beer type. Then barely-wines, then Reds, then Browns, then Pales, then IPA's.

To each his own.
    telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Hungus View Post
    I feel bad for you. You're missing out on a lot of great beers. Also, as has been pointed out, IPAs and Stouts are both Ales.
    I like what I like as well. I'd love to try more sour's or other types, but I'm pretty certain I don't appreciate lagers or pilsners (at least the American versions?), and as far as other beers go... it's hard when I'm at the liquor store or in the beer aisle to justify paying like $8-12 for a beer I haven't tried and may not like. I'd rather just buy what I know I'll enjoy

Maybe that's where beer tastings/fests come in, but I've actually yet to attend one.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by miss rides a lot View Post
    ... it's hard when I'm at the liquor store or in the beer aisle to justify paying like $8-12 for a beer I haven't tried and may not like. I'd rather just buy what I know I'll enjoy

Maybe that's where beer tastings/fests come in, but I've actually yet to attend one.
    I recently went to a family & friend gathering where each person brought a mixed six pack (or had their spouse pick and bring a mixed six pack) and we had a blind tasting party. We were poured 1-2 oz glasses, one at a time, to smell - taste - enjoy - discuss - rate and write notes on, after which, the beer was revealed to us. That's where I confirmed my dislike of lagars. At the end of the night we were able to sample about 36 different beers, without getting drunk, and have notes about what we tasted and why we liked (or disliked) them.

Beer Me!
    Quote Originally Posted by gsoroos View Post
    I recently went to a family & friend gathering where each person brought a mixed six pack (or had their spouse pick and bring a mixed six pack) and we had a blind tasting party. We were poured 1-2 oz glasses, one at a time, to smell - taste - enjoy - discuss - rate and write notes on, after which, the beer was revealed to us. That's where I confirmed my dislike of lagars. At the end of the night we were able to sample about 36 different beers, without getting drunk, and have notes about what we tasted and why we liked (or disliked) them.
    Yep, or getting a taster platter at a brewery, some tap rooms do this as well. Then its usually 2oz to 4oz tasters of several beers.
    My Bike: FORM Cycles Titanium Prevail 29er

"Any wheel size is better than sitting at a computer all day." -Myself

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    "I feel like I am missing out on something, but my taste buds lead me to other types of beer more along the lines of a Guinness... :

Man, Guiness sucks. Try Lion Stout or Samuel Smith's Imperial Stout. I'm not going to try to talk you into IPAs, either you like them or you don't.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

Hi.
    Or Gruit, (ale fermented with various other herbs). I've been thinking of experimenting with some flavors for brewing a gruit.
    FWIW the "sedative" effects of hops have never actually been clinically proven. The sexual desire thing, on the other hand, is pretty accurate since hops contain compounds shown to be estrogen agonists. Realistically alcohol is a CNS depressant which does the job far better than the hops would.

Quote Originally Posted by GeePhroh View Post
    Hmmm...this is all very interesting. IPAs are practically a benchmark for brewers up my way in Seattle (though it's probably more accurate to call them "NW" or "West Coast" style, if you've ever had a classic English IPA); but over the last 5-7 years or so, IPAs have fallen out of favor somewhat amongst many of the cutting-edge brewers. While it may not account for most of their revenues, there is certainly a lot more hype around Belgian and German styles.
    We were referring more to the fact that the craft beer industry as a whole still thinks IPAs are trendy. Which is why most new breweries' flagship beer is a hoppy IPA. Boneyard is a great example - the first two beers they made were both IPAs, along with almost every other brewery that has opened in Bend in the last 10 years. I think it's because it's fairly easy to make a palatable IPA, so new breweries turn to it as a foundation product.

I like what I like as well. I'd love to try more sour's or other types, but I'm pretty certain I don't appreciate lagers or pilsners (at least the American versions?), and as far as other beers go... it's hard when I'm at the liquor store or in the beer aisle to justify paying like $8-12 for a beer I haven't tried and may not like. I'd rather just buy what I know I'll enjoy
    Try Victory Prima Pils, Lagunitas Pils, or New Belgium Shift (hoppy pale lager). Awesome beers.

Also, there are a lot of dark lagers, not just the American Pale Lagers you haven't liked. Think German beers - bocks, keller biers, marzens, dunkel and helles lagers. Some of those beers come in at 8% or more and have a grain bill reminiscent of a stout or porter.

IThat's where I confirmed my dislike of lagars.
    Very cool you had a tasting, but see my comment above. You probably dislike American Pale Lagers, but the term "lager" covers much more than just light straw-colored beer.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    To me it is weather dependent. I like to drink more IPAs and wheat beer in the spring/summer and more stouts/darker beers in the fall and winter.

I do find the west coast love of an IPA interesting. I went to green flash brewery in San Diego and the majority of their drafts were very hoppy. Another place I went to in the winter had six of their eight taps reserved for IPAs. Back in Atlanta I would have only seen one IPA.

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Interesting responses so far. Had no idea that so many people were in the same boat as me regarding the taste of IPAs.

I should get out and try some DIPAs perhaps if they taste less like a pine tree in my glass.

For anyone in the S. California region, I highly recommend the beer fest put on by Stone. It was at the CSUSM campus of all places. About 50 beers to choose from well beyond Stone products too..

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy View Post
    "I feel like I am missing out on something, but my taste buds lead me to other types of beer more along the lines of a Guinness... :

Man, Guiness sucks. Try Lion Stout or Samuel Smith's Imperial Stout. I'm not going to try to talk you into IPAs, either you like them or you don't.
    Guinness tastes great to me. I do understand that it is a well known beer and is quite trendy but I don't care. In my opinion, it is extremely smooth and easy to drink.

You certainly aren't going to impress any beer aficionados showing up with a six pack of Guinness...that is understood

I do want to try the Lion Stout and SSIS you recommend. I have heard good things about both.

thx

FX4
    mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Well I don't know about it being a fad or only 10 or 15 years old. I started drinking IPAs almost exactly twenty years ago. I liked ale in general and found I liked the IPAs the best. They just seemed to have the right amount of bitterness and flavor in general to my liking. I and a lot of of other people were drinking them long before they were trendy. I think they are trendy because they taste good. The trendiness of them has resulted in better and better IPAs over the years.

mtbr member
    Lagers are beers for people with no taste, and poor judgement. Darks are reserved for those who will subject themselves to syrupy foul liquids only to wake up to mud-butt and regret and disregard fine taste completely.

IPA's are reserved for the finest of us, the most astute of beer drinkers. Those of us with better judgement, and fine taste. Savor the pine! All the rest is the devils beer.

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    Lagers are beers for people with no taste, and poor judgement.
    Right. This beer at 12% abv is for someone with no taste. Good talk.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rydbyk View Post
    Guinness tastes great to me.
    You certainly aren't going to impress any beer aficionados showing up with a six pack of Guinness...that is understood
    Drink what you like, and don't care who you impress.

Lagers are beers for people with no taste, and poor judgement. Darks are reserved for those who will subject themselves to syrupy foul liquids only to wake up to mud-butt and regret and disregard fine taste completely.

IPA's are reserved for the finest of us, the most astute of beer drinkers. Those of us with better judgement, and fine taste. Savor the pine! All the rest is the devils beer.
    You don't sound like the kind of person I'd want to drink beer with...

Beer Me!

LOL, assuming sarcasm this is freaking funny.

Assuming you are speaking seriously...... your wrong, that's it.
    My Bike: FORM Cycles Titanium Prevail 29er

"Any wheel size is better than sitting at a computer all day." -Myself

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I admire those who can drink "anything". I have a friend who, when I pop some IPA favorite of mine will say "hey, this is great ". Then he'll spend all afternoon on his porch drinking Full Sail Session with his crew.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    For me......IPAs are more fun.....I am to the point where ales/lagers without enough hops is just plain boring.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2
    2012 Scott Spark 29 Team
    2013 Scott Scale 970
    2011 Scott Speedster S20
    1999 Specialized FSR Comp

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Guerdonian View Post

Assuming you are speaking seriously...... your wrong, that's it.
    I know a few guys that feel the same way. There are plenty of beer types that I don't appreciate, but I don't generally hate on people for drinking them. Well, except Bud/Coors types They are more affordable; I'll have to give them that.

mtbr member
    I know a few guys that feel the same way. There are plenty of beer types that I don't appreciate, but I don't generally hate on people for drinking them. Well, except Bud/Coors types They are more affordable; I'll have to give them that.
    Honestly, I'd rather drink some Coors Lights with people that don't take themselves too seriously than drink the best IPAs with people who think they know it all.

Hi.
    Honestly, I'd rather drink some Coors Lights with people that don't take themselves too seriously than drink the best IPAs with people who think they know it all.
    WISDOM!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I don't remotely claim to know it all (beers or otherwise), but I'm not a fan of Coors Sorry!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guerdonian View Post
    Someone got it. Thread needed some wild IPA enthusiasm

I dig ipas. I dont think beer drinking is that serious though. Ive covered my bases with most beers, I can appreciate anything well brewed.

Honestly, IPA's are a little more palatable than some more craft beers, and lower ABV (not counting triples etc). Some of these 10+% beers get you too wrecked to really enjoy or go out and taste a bunch of them. Some sours and belgians have some serious flavor, its kind of like a very harsh red wine. Too overwhelming for most people to appreciate.

I think the craft taste and comparative "lightness" of ipas make them popular.

mtbr member
    I drink a lot of coors and bud too Try hanging out and drinking IPA's all night and the bathroom will be your friend that day.. and the next day.

One Pivot, that was hilarious. I got the sarcasm straight away.

I got into IPA's about six years ago. I knew nothing about beer and my friends were into it more than me (now I'm into it more than them, go figure) and would always force them on me. Just try a sip of this one, they would say. I'm adventurous and willing to try anything so I would always give them a go. Found one I thought palatable and my obsession grew from there. I'm into a hugely broad spectrum of styles and flavors and don't really think it's a fair thing to compare two styles since they're not the same catagory. A bit like comparing rap to punk.

I'll drink anything, even PBR. I'll complain about it for a bit but always end up drinking it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Id scrap the passion forum all together, its a breeding ground for unicorn milkers, rainbow chasers and candy cotton farters.

mtbr member
    Someone got it. Thread needed some wild IPA enthusiasm

I dig ipas. I dont think beer drinking is that serious though. Ive covered my bases with most beers, I can appreciate anything well brewed.

Honestly, IPA's are a little more palatable than some more craft beers, and lower ABV (not counting triples etc). Some of these 10+% beers get you too wrecked to really enjoy or go out and taste a bunch of them. Some sours and belgians have some serious flavor, its kind of like a very harsh red wine. Too overwhelming for most people to appreciate.

I think the craft taste and comparative "lightness" of ipas make them popular.
    I'll admit you got me. I think there is a segment of the beer drinking population that feels like IPA is the only style that matters. I admittedly find this slightly annoying.

You bring up a good point on the perceived "lightness" of IPA's. I wonder if in some way their popularity is based on their "lighter" appearance which might make them a bit more approachable to someone who is just getting into beer and perceives darker beers as too "heavy".

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I'll admit you got me. I think there is a segment of the beer drinking population that feels like IPA is the only style that matters. I admittedly find this slightly annoying.

You bring up a good point on the perceived "lightness" of IPA's. I wonder if in some way their popularity is based on their "lighter" appearance which might make them a bit more approachable to someone who is just getting into beer and perceives darker beers as too "heavy".
    You're overthinking it. I drink IPAs because of the taste. If I don't like the taste of a beer of whatever variety I won't drink it. I like the taste of IPAs. Not all of them but if I had to choose one or two to drink solely they'd both be IPAs.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast