Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 51 to 100 of 102

Thread: IPA popularity

  1. #51
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    6
    Love the IPA's unless they overdue it on the hops

  2. #52
    ******
    Reputation: monzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,990
    I love candy, unless they overdo it on the sugar.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Id scrap the passion forum all together, its a breeding ground for unicorn milkers, rainbow chasers and candy cotton farters.

  3. #53
    Newbie
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    13
    I find that the hoppiness of an IPA is at first an acquired taste that can then become addicting - kinda like hot sauce. At first it's unappealing, but with more tries you develop a palate, and eventually get into the habit of pushing the taste (meausred in IBUs for beer, Scoville Heat Units for sauce) further and further.

    I also agree with someone's earlier point that because the most mainstream breweries are unlikely to produce IPAs due to their limited appeal, they are more popular with micros.

  4. #54
    Bicyclochondriac.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    13,384
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy View Post
    "I feel like I am missing out on something, but my taste buds lead me to other types of beer more along the lines of a Guinness... :

    Man, Guiness sucks. Try Lion Stout or Samuel Smith's Imperial Stout. I'm not going to try to talk you into IPAs, either you like them or you don't.
    I don't think Guiness sucks at all. It's just a different kind of stout, not at all as rich or flavorful as many others, but it is not supposed to be. But I think it is a great choice when I want to drink something that goes down easy, clean and refreshing, but still has flavor. Low cal, too. As awesome as many Imperial Stouts are, they are simply a whole different animal from something like Guiness. It's apples and oranges.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

  5. #55
    FX4
    FX4 is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    452
    You haven't had a Guiness until you have had one in Ireland! Yum. Has nothing to do with American IPAs or stouts though. Different thing.

  6. #56
    Newbie
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by FX4 View Post
    You haven't had a Guiness until you have had one in Ireland! Yum. Has nothing to do with American IPAs or stouts though. Different thing.
    I'll second that. Once you have one from the Guiness factory, you can't really drink 'em back over in the States anymore.

  7. #57
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    7,929
    Quote Originally Posted by baybiker9 View Post
    I'll second that. Once you have one from the Guiness factory, you can't really drink 'em back over in the States anymore.
    I'd love to taste a Guiness like it's supposed to taste, not the yuck that is available here in the US of A (sorry Guiness lovers). There are just so many others available here that are better than Guiness.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

  8. #58
    mtbr member
    Reputation: deano machineo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    171
    What happened to me was I started drinking IPA's and I can't go back to anything else. Everything else I try doesn't have the pow flavor profile I now require. It's like IPA's have done something to my palette. Yeah I know everyone is different, yeah I know people are going to say I haven't tried this or that. But, my point is that is what I believe is the cause of the popularity. The big beer hoppy off the scale flavor. Just my two cents. I don't know jack about beer. Just that if I stop drinking it, Stone and a few others will notice it on their spreadsheets.
    Ride it like you stole it.

  9. #59
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    313
    Most american big brewers use rice as the grain of choice to build up sugars in the wort. It was like coffee 20 years ago in this country, We didn't know what we were missing. My parents drank folgers and Uban. Then whole bean coffee started to be more and more common in the stores. Most IPA's are brewed with real ingrediants and not overely processed. With all the choices of grains, HOPS and even yeast strains they become an art form as well.

  10. #60
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Tillers_Rule's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    561
    IPA's are good summer beers to, very smooth and refreshing on a hot day

  11. #61
    mnoutain bkie rdier
    Reputation: rydbyk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,822
    Quote Originally Posted by baybiker9 View Post
    I find that the hoppiness of an IPA is at first an acquired taste that can then become addicting - kinda like hot sauce. At first it's unappealing, but with more tries you develop a palate, and eventually get into the habit of pushing the taste (meausred in IBUs for beer, Scoville Heat Units for sauce) further and further.

    I also agree with someone's earlier point that because the most mainstream breweries are unlikely to produce IPAs due to their limited appeal, they are more popular with micros.
    Hot sauce was invented to mask the taste of spoiled meats. High IBUs is just an attempt to mask crap beer...

    Just kidding..

    I have not completely written off IPAs. I can definitely see how they are an acquired taste and a fun style to learn to appreciate...

  12. #62
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    9
    In my country, the Netherlands, beer = watery lager by Inbev or some other megacorp. I am glad that I discovered local breweries with all kinds of great IPA's, stouts, smoked, Kölsch, zwarzbier.

  13. #63
    FX4
    FX4 is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    452
    Didn't Inbev buy all the crappy brewers in the U.S. too?

  14. #64
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Gman086's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    4,259
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    Lagers are beers for people with no taste, and poor judgement. Darks are reserved for those who will subject themselves to syrupy foul liquids only to wake up to mud-butt and regret and disregard fine taste completely.

    IPA's are reserved for the finest of us, the most astute of beer drinkers. Those of us with better judgement, and fine taste. Savor the pine! All the rest is the devils beer.
    THIS!

    Honestly, IPA's are an acquired taste and if you're still on pilsners and lagers then you're still in the "training wheel stages" of beer drinking.

    Have FUN!

    G MAN
    Last edited by Gman086; 09-20-2012 at 03:14 PM.
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

  15. #65
    Beer Me!
    Reputation: Guerdonian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,083
    ^^^^ Pretty dang sure you are a spammer.
    "Any wheel size is better than sitting at a computer all day." -Myself

  16. #66
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Gman086's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    4,259
    Quote Originally Posted by Guerdonian View Post
    ^^^^ Pretty dang sure you are a spammer.
    WTF?! First time I've ever been accused of that!!! Pretty dang sure you're a poser!

    Have FUN!

    G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

  17. #67
    mtbr member
    Reputation: deano machineo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    171
    ^^^^ Pretty dang sure you are a spammer.
    Where'd that come from? Did I miss something?
    Ride it like you stole it.

  18. #68
    ******
    Reputation: monzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,990
    Here's how I see it playing out:

    G MAN posts, spam-bot posts, Guerdonian calls out spam-bot, mods remove spam, it subsequently looks like Guerdonian called G MAN a spammer, G MAN flips ****, Deano thinks he may have missed something, I post this; Guerdonian may or may not corroborate my story. Yay.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Id scrap the passion forum all together, its a breeding ground for unicorn milkers, rainbow chasers and candy cotton farters.

  19. #69
    Paper Mill Aleworks
    Reputation: JFryauff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,484
    Quote Originally Posted by monzie View Post
    Here's how I see it playing out:

    G MAN posts, spam-bot posts, Guerdonian calls out spam-bot, mods remove spam, it subsequently looks like Guerdonian called G MAN a spammer, G MAN flips ****, Deano thinks he may have missed something, I post this; Guerdonian may or may not corroborate my story. Yay.
    Then I neg rep all of you just for good measure!
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Winston Churchill

  20. #70
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    7,929
    I think I speak for all of us here when I say "huh?"
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

  21. #71
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    898
    I drink whatever beer tastes nice to me - not so I can talk about it like a wine toff.

    My case in point:
    http://youtu.be/RjIoJGyhAgk

  22. #72
    mtbr member
    Reputation: JChasse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    343
    'cause hops are like crack?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IPA popularity-lupulin.jpg  


  23. #73
    mtbr member
    Reputation: JChasse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    343
    hi. my name is JC and i'm a recovering hophead.

    I used to be all IPAs all the time. But i think beer prefernces change all the time. And right now I prefer pilsners, light lagers...hell, i'm even enjoying the O'fest / Marzen beers right now.

    But I'm drinking a Bridgeport Kingpin while I make my daughter and I dinner!

  24. #74
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Gman086's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    4,259
    Quote Originally Posted by monzie View Post
    Here's how I see it playing out:

    G MAN posts, spam-bot posts, Guerdonian calls out spam-bot, mods remove spam, it subsequently looks like Guerdonian called G MAN a spammer, G MAN flips ****, Deano thinks he may have missed something, I post this; Guerdonian may or may not corroborate my story. Yay.
    LMAO! Okay, I think you nailed it. Sorry Guerdonian!

    Carry on and CHEERS!

    G MAN

    PS - Great post JChasse!
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

  25. #75
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    31
    I used to despise IPAs until one night after a long cold ride. Got back to the truck and someone cracked open and IPA and handed it over...can't turn down a free beer, so I went for it. I don't know what happened that night but i've been hooked to IPA since. Ranger is a favorite and easy to find. Snake dog IPA, Dog fish head 60 minute IPA, Aviator Hog Wild IPA are some of my favorites. Something about that bitterness just works for me.

  26. #76
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    11
    thanks for sharing

  27. #77
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    14
    I got hooked on IPA during last cross season... they seem to go great with biking!

  28. #78
    mnoutain bkie rdier
    Reputation: rydbyk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,822
    Quote Originally Posted by thisisbenji View Post
    I got hooked on IPA during last cross season... they seem to go great with biking!
    Yes, I can see how an IPA pairs well with cold weather, rain and mud

  29. #79
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    12
    Seems everyone I talk to, work their way up to the IPA's. Not sure I like em' too hoppy for me. I suppose the high Alc content is benefit.

  30. #80
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jchull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    68
    IPA's are always what I drink unless there is a free option. I'm not much into beer, and IPA is the only type I enjoy the taste of, never went through any other stages. I'm glad they are much more available now, used to be my only option pretty much was to get a growler at Phantom Canyon in Colorado Springs. Still can't beat their creamy bitterness from a bottle, and basement temp really lets you taste it.

  31. #81
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    73
    IPA's are definitely an acquired taste, but once you have it, look out. There is also nothing better in the world than a great bike ride followed by a great IPA.

  32. #82
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    12
    I've been a big IPA fan for a few years now. I think the draw is simplification & amplification - they simplify what makes a good brew (hoppy flavor, no extreme flourishes or flavors) and amplify those qualities, often resulting in a higher gravity & stronger flavor. They are a beer drinker's beer, and I'd agree somewhat of an acquired taste. It's easy for them to seem like too much at first, but stick with it and good things will happen. Perfect post-ride brew.

  33. #83
    mtbr member
    Reputation: danorano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by rydbyk View Post
    They taste like they have tree sap brewed into them or something of that nature. Is just the high amount of hops?
    Yup, the extra hops is what makes an IPA taste that way. I wouldn't call it like tree sap though. I love IPAs. They gotta be nice and cold though. It's not hard to acquire a taste for them. They taste just like a lager, but more hoppy. Another good thing about a beer that is high in hoppiness is that hops are supposed to act like an anti-inflammatory so if your aching after a hard ride, and IPA is a perfect choice.

  34. #84
    puts the FU in fun
    Reputation: CuzinMike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    111
    I got into IPAs because they're everywhere. The main local brewery here in Kansas City, Boulevard, has been making their Pale Ale for years, and it's one of their most popular beers. Therefore it's available at every bar, liquor store, convenience store and grocery store in the area. It might not be a "true" IPA, but drinking it made me realize I liked hoppy beers, and sent me down a slippery, albeit delicious, slope.
    Everything in moderation. Including moderation.

  35. #85
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    6

    Ipa

    Check out Moylans, Novato, CA
    4-5 diffeent IPA's and a good place to find one you like.

  36. #86
    mtbr member
    Reputation: piratewake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    100
    I'm a strait hop head and drink them almost exclusively. But that's not to say I won't drink some other fine crafted beers. Personally I think brewers as a whole are putting a lot of efforts into making the ultimate IPA. Because of this we are all reaping the benefits....... One non IPA I am looking forward to trying is the laguanitas brown shugga. I have heard great things.

  37. #87
    I like turtles
    Reputation: TiGeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    5,683
    I just can't get into them...not refreshing to me at all with all the hops...but then again...I usually just drink Coors Light

    I like most Pale Ales..that is about as much hops as I can stand.
    Last edited by TiGeo; 11-30-2012 at 06:12 PM.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

    2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

  38. #88
    mtbr member
    Reputation: NuckingFuts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    178
    Finally its Friday, Aaaaaah!!

    IPA popularity-ipa.jpg

  39. #89
    ******
    Reputation: monzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,990
    Quote Originally Posted by danorano View Post
    Yup, the extra hops is what makes an IPA taste that way. I wouldn't call it like tree sap though. I love IPAs. They gotta be nice and cold though. It's not hard to acquire a taste for them. They taste just like a lager, but more hoppy. Another good thing about a beer that is high in hoppiness is that hops are supposed to act like an anti-inflammatory so if your aching after a hard ride, and IPA is a perfect choice.
    You're right, I wouldn't call it tree sap either. I believe the term they use to describe that flavor is resinous or piney.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Id scrap the passion forum all together, its a breeding ground for unicorn milkers, rainbow chasers and candy cotton farters.

  40. #90
    mtbr member
    Reputation: One Pivot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    5,790
    You gotta warm up a good IPA to get the taste! Too cold numbs them, removes the pinesol taste

  41. #91
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    268
    Personally, I think many brewers hop away their mistakes. I love ipa's along with many other styles off beers. But I have noticed that many of the ipa's are hoppy without balance. But one thing I haven't considered when tasting these beers on tap is that they may have been flavored for bottling. I usually don't drink much beer at home because there are great beers on tap everywhere in Portland.

    I thing I do agree with a previous poster is that most of the time ipa's are served way too cold. I'll often order two in non chilled glasses and experience the beer as it warms up.

    Bridgeport used to have hand pulled ipa's way back in the day. Ummm, that brings back some good memories.

    But I'll drink many different styles of beer. Honestly the best beer is a free beer. If your buying, I'll probably drink it with a smile as long as its a craft style beer.

  42. #92
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by CuzinMike View Post
    I got into IPAs because they're everywhere. The main local brewery here in Kansas City, Boulevard, has been making their Pale Ale for years, and it's one of their most popular beers. Therefore it's available at every bar, liquor store, convenience store and grocery store in the area. It might not be a "true" IPA, but drinking it made me realize I liked hoppy beers, and sent me down a slippery, albeit delicious, slope.
    They make the Doublewide IPA which is very tasty as well!

  43. #93
    mnoutain bkie rdier
    Reputation: rydbyk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,822
    Quote Originally Posted by Poe4soul View Post
    Personally, I think many brewers hop away their mistakes. I love ipa's along with many other styles off beers. But I have noticed that many of the ipa's are hoppy without balance. But one thing I haven't considered when tasting these beers on tap is that they may have been flavored for bottling. I usually don't drink much beer at home because there are great beers on tap everywhere in Portland.

    I thing I do agree with a previous poster is that most of the time ipa's are served way too cold. I'll often order two in non chilled glasses and experience the beer as it warms up.

    Bridgeport used to have hand pulled ipa's way back in the day. Ummm, that brings back some good memories.

    But I'll drink many different styles of beer. Honestly the best beer is a free beer. If your buying, I'll probably drink it with a smile as long as its a craft style beer.
    Yeh, I have heard that it is easy to mask brewing mistakes with lots of hops in an IPA.. Apparently you don't use an IPA to determine who is the most skilled brewer out there.. not sure if this is correct...just been told this.

  44. #94
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    9
    It gets me drunk on a "low" budget.

  45. #95
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    30
    I enjoy IPAs for their complex bitter tastes. They are definitely an acquired taste but are definitely at the top of my list.

  46. #96
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    384
    for me why i like IPA's, Dipa's, triple IPA's(weyerbacher hop'solutely) is simple, i used to like weed, the smell feel taste of good bud was awesome, but i have a job that does random testing, enter the humble hop, distant cousin of weed, that resiny goodnees, the aroma, ah I love hops, strange right? but thats just me

  47. #97
    I am with her.
    Reputation: acer66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    889
    reported

  48. #98
    Except when I'm driving
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    170
    I used to not like IPAs now I don't want anything else. I'm not sure what happened, maybe I just grew to like it after drinking so many pilsners and having to get up 5 times a night to piss. I think the aroma of the hops puts you in some sort of trance like state also, a different feeling than less hoppy ales. I would agree that drinking an IPA or two or three after a ride makes everything good.
    I'm bored and at work or else I would be riding

  49. #99
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,001
    Hop Shortage from Knee Deep Brewing. #sogood

  50. #100
    mtbr member
    Reputation: voodoo5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    157
    I need to try this


Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •