Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Afric Pepperbird

I love Portland's Voodoo Donuts....

.... but this seems a bit much to me. Has anyone tried it?

Rogue Bacon Maple Ale

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Local store had it. When I asked about it there were only negative comments.

Beer Please!
    I loved it, and I have a second bottle in my collection waiting to be sampled.

Don't buy it and expect it to be anything but heavy and smokey with a touch of bacon and maple.

I feel it delivers exactly what it promises, the problem I think is people are expecting something other than what it promises on the label.
    telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

Hi.
    It's too thin, and all you taste is the overpowering smoke flavor.

I think it was a cool idea, but their base wort was too light with too thin of a mouthfeel and their smoked malt was way too heavy. And they used maple "flavoring" instead of maple syrup...I'm not a huge fan of breweries who pump artificial adjuncts into their beers.

mtbr member
    I split a bottle with my bro and I had to force it down. It was not what I was expecting. It does come in a cool bottle though.
    Ride Bikes
    Drink Beer

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    COLOR not so nice......

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Not sure how it is yet, I have 3 bottles in my fridge that my wife picked for me last weekend in Portland.

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by TBarnaby View Post
    Not sure how it is yet, I have 3 bottles in my fridge that my wife picked for me last weekend in Portland.
    Not as good as the doughnut itself, but an interesting experience nonetheless! Crack one open and let us know what you think - post some pics and what you thought if you get a chance!

mtbr member
    Shared it with 15 or 20 people. 2 liked it, a few gagged. Most poured it out and wouldnt finish. Its truly foul.

Paper Mill Aleworks
    Well...I guess I'm in the minority whom didn't think it was all that bad.
    As jmartino pointed out, it was a bit thin for sure, and artificial maple lacing isn't my first choice.
    That said, I appreciated the effort, and didn't mind the heavy smoke.
    I think my 5oz taster was just enough though, and a whole bottle would be difficult to get through.
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Winston Churchill

mtbr member
    I have some coming my way when my brother visits, I am looking forward to trying it. Mostly because of the all the people that say it was disappointing, I will let you know what i think in a couple weeks....
    A person who never made a mistake,
    never tried anything new..... Albert Einstein

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by JFryauff View Post
    Well...I guess I'm in the minority whom didn't think it was all that bad.
    As jmartino pointed out, it was a bit thin for sure, and artificial maple lacing isn't my first choice.
    That said, I appreciated the effort, and didn't mind the heavy smoke.
    I think my 5oz taster was just enough though, and a whole bottle would be difficult to get through.
    Yeah I definitely appreciate the effort too, and I think it would be really cool if they did a "Voodoo Doughnut Series" of beers highlighting some of the crazy flavor combos that place creates.

mtbr member
    Terrible beer.

It's got an overpowering smoky flavor and then a really chemical fake maple bacon taste at the end followed by bitterness.

Had such potential to be amazing. I feel like Rogue made the beer and had already invested in bottle artwork and the partnership and felt obliged to send the beer to market while trolling the beer drinking public.

Beer Please!
    Quote Originally Posted by blumena84 View Post
    I have some coming my way when my brother visits, I am looking forward to trying it. Mostly because of the all the people that say it was disappointing, I will let you know what i think in a couple weeks....
    I thought you are in Socal? I was able to find this at my Local BevMo in Oceanside a few months back.
    telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

mtbr member
    I am , i know total wine and more has a couple of cases. My brother said he had got one and was going to bring it out here. So i didn't bother buying one, and just waiting until he got out here.
    A person who never made a mistake,
    never tried anything new..... Albert Einstein

Afric Pepperbird
    Quote Originally Posted by jtmartino View Post
    Yeah I definitely appreciate the effort too, and I think it would be really cool if they did a "Voodoo Doughnut Series" of beers highlighting some of the crazy flavor combos that place creates.

I'd love to see more Voodoo Doughnut options, too.

It's a shame their Nyquil-glazed donuts, and their Pepto-Bismal donuts were shut down by the local health officials.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jtmartino View Post
    Not as good as the doughnut itself, but an interesting experience nonetheless! Crack one open and let us know what you think - post some pics and what you thought if you get a chance!
    Probably this weekend...

Hi.
    That Stone beer is excellent. I'm a huge fan of Hop in the Dark, and 10 Barrel's Apocalypse is a decent beer too, but I don't remember Watershed. Old Crustacean is great for after-dinner. Nice selection

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Sadly I have a bit of a bomber problem, there's another 30ish bottles that don't require fridgeration sitting on another shelf. Luckily, my wife likes beer too so it's pretty easy to justify my spending a hundy buying beer from time to time. I haven't had the 10 Barrel or Watershed yet, it actually came in a IPA 4 pack. So many beers, if they only let me drink at work I could get through them all.

While she was in Newport she also conned this from the distillery...

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    OK, the Maple Bacon Ale was kind of a let down. Way to "additve-y" for my tastes. The smokey flavor made me think of liquid smoke. It's a cool idea and I'm glad I tried it but I doubt I will buying anymore of it. It's gotten to the point that most beers of any style are getting so good that it's hard to find something truly outstanding any longer and I feel the need to try the gimmick beers to keep me from constantly buying the same old thing.

The bottle shop near my work still has like four cases full of it. Even though it's got a bad rap I'm going to get two or three bottles just for shits and giggles. I'll let you know what I think.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Id scrap the passion forum all together, its a breeding ground for unicorn milkers, rainbow chasers and candy cotton farters.

mtbr member
    I had a bottle, it was...........interesting. I kept my expectation low!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I've had a bottle of it for a month but haven't had a chance to try it.

Certainly gets mixed reviews.

Hi.
    As Ralph Wiggum once said, "It tastes like burning."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by monzie View Post
    The bottle shop near my work still has like four cases full of it. Even though it's got a bad rap I'm going to get two or three bottles just for shits and giggles. I'll let you know what I think.
    Definitely buy a couple, its a great "trolling your friends" beer

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast