Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Harrumph
    Find a brewery / brewpub that serves an IPA from a cask. It's the "proper / traditional" way. The natural carbonation and being served through a beer engine make for a creamy/smooth mouth feel, rather than thesharp/acidic feel of a Co2 forced carbed keg.

It's tough to find a IPA on cask/beer engine as it's not something your local TGIFridays is going to have. But it will honestly reset your taste for what an IPA should be.
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

Picture Unrelated
    Ok, so you don't like IPA, not a big deal. By starting a thread about it there must be one of two things going on:

1. You want to like them but it's not working.
    2. You want to be validated in your opinion.

So which one is it? I'm sure lots of people would be happy to provide an "IPA Starter" kit of beers to try if you wanted to learn to appreciate them. For any Utah resident I would suggest something like Squatter's Chasing Tail then maybe a Uinta Cutthroat, follow it up with an Epic Cross Fever Amber, and if you're still hanging in there try a Squatters IPA. The Squatters IPA is one of the most balanced IPAs I've tried while still having that nice IPA hop profile.

Then once you've acclimated your palate, find yourself a Stone Ruination and cry yourself to sleep.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by G-reg View Post
    Find a brewery / brewpub that serves an IPA from a cask. It's the "proper / traditional" way. The natural carbonation and being served through a beer engine make for a creamy/smooth mouth feel, rather than thesharp/acidic feel of a Co2 forced carbed keg.

It's tough to find a IPA on cask/beer engine as it's not something your local TGIFridays is going to have. But it will honestly reset your taste for what an IPA should be.
    While this is definitely a great way to experience an English IPA, serving an American style pale ale, IPA, or IIPA this way would be a waste. The british believe that their IPAs should be aged for at least 4 months before serving to eliminate the unwanted hop flavors and to be "traditional". American IPA's OTOH should be served as fresh as possible in order to enjoy the flavors of the various hop aromas and flavors.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    It took me a long time (and the right IPA) before I liked IPA's. I still tend to go for strong ales and stouts more often than IPA's, but there are some that I really enjoy. Funnily enough the beer that converted me was purchased due to it's featuring Thomas Vanderham on Lighthouse's Switchback IPA

Switchback IPA | Lighthouse Brewing Company
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/lostboyscout | www.beerscout.ca
    Knolly Chilcotin | Surly Long Haul Trucker

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    wow, nice to see someone else dislikes IPA...i just can't get into it. I've tried many brands over the years but can't deal with the bitterness. At least I think that is what i'm tasting that I don't like.... I like lagers much more and it may be a crime to say it but I enjoy Michelob Light, although i think it may be on the chopping block at Budweiser. I remember reading someplace sales are plummeting the last couple years....what a same .

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gobriango View Post
    Am I the only person on Earth who loves beer but hates IPA's ???

I feel like everyone of them all tast the same.

So who else out there loves beer but never drinks IPA's ????
    Plus 1!

IPAs literally taste pale and bitter to me. Hate it. Love just about any other beer out there.

Harrumph
    Quote Originally Posted by Placibo View Post
    wow, nice to see someone else dislikes IPA...i just can't get into it. I've tried many brands over the years but can't deal with the bitterness. At least I think that is what i'm tasting that I don't like.... I like lagers much more and it may be a crime to say it but I enjoy Michelob Light, although i think it may be on the chopping block at Budweiser. I remember reading someplace sales are plummeting the last couple years....what a same .
    The various American Lager styles exist for marketing. Purchase Rando Lager.... Add water to desired "lite-ness". ... Add more waterif going "ultra."
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

I kill hills.
    Jan 2013
    The thought of pouring a dogfish head 60 minute down the hatch is making me salivate.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I enjoy beer. Dogfish 90 minutes IPA is a tasty piece of paradise. A cold Coors after cutting the grass is heaven. If someone doesn't like IPA but prefers something else, good for them. I would recommend trying many different beers and rate them for yourself. Anything you enjoy remember it, if not do not get it again.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    me to

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I love both!

mtbr member
    I didn't like IPAs until I got older.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I mostly drink IPAs, but I do enjoy lots of other beers.

Mtb Extraordinaire
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by zebrahum View Post
    Ok, so you don't like IPA, not a big deal. By starting a thread about it there must be one of two things going on:

1. You want to like them but it's not working.
    2. You want to be validated in your opinion.

So which one is it? I'm sure lots of people would be happy to provide an "IPA Starter" kit of beers to try if you wanted to learn to appreciate them. For any Utah resident I would suggest something like Squatter's Chasing Tail then maybe a Uinta Cutthroat, follow it up with an Epic Cross Fever Amber, and if you're still hanging in there try a Squatters IPA. The Squatters IPA is one of the most balanced IPAs I've tried while still having that nice IPA hop profile.

Then once you've acclimated your palate, find yourself a Stone Ruination and cry yourself to sleep.
    It's number 1. I'm definitely not looking for validation. Again, I just cant understand why every person I have ever met that likes beer, always goes for IPA's. ALWAYS !!!! What am I missing ? I know my taste buds are changing and I am liking different beers all the time but it's been about 10yrs of trying different beers and I just dont get the IPA draw.

Anyway I did try Sam Adams Double Agent IPL, which is an IPA mixed with a Lager and I thought that was really good. I would defintely drink a few more of them. So who knows maybe some day I will get there and then the "I love IPA's" thread will appear.

Mtb Extraordinaire
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Placibo View Post
    I really like Lagers as well.

I did just try Sam Adams Double Agent IPL (an IPA mixed with a Lager) and it was really good. I would definitely drink more and look forward to it.

Maybe that is something for you to try.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Do you like grapefruit juice or grape fruit in general? Do you like anything that tastes bitter?

mtbr member
    everyone has different tastes and thats ok. yours will mature with time

Thread Killer
    Sam Adams Octoberfest was the first beer I ever imbibed (I like to pretend that night with Old Milwaukee never happened). But, reading the old Beer forum here turned me onto the idea of heavy, hoppy beers before I even turned 21...So, by the time I was of legal drinking age, I was all about the hops, and still am to this day. IPA's, for me, are always a safe bet. I do understand the feeling that some people have that IPA's are very repetitive, since it is one of the things that drives me away sometimes (it takes a very critical mind to decipher the differences between a good portion of 'em), but I'd pretty much eat hops for breakfast if I could.

Mmmm...hops...

Mtb Extraordinaire
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by trevor_b View Post
    Do you like grapefruit juice or grape fruit in general? Do you like anything that tastes bitter?
    Not so much for grapefruit or grapefruit juice but I love lemons limes oranges and insanely dark chocolate.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfruits View Post
    everyone has different tastes and thats ok. yours will mature with time
    Rep'd
    2006 Specialized FSRxc / 2006 Redline Conquest / 2009 Specialized Allez
    Gone: 2002 Specialized Big Hit / 2004 Kona Stinky

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I've never hated any beer and certainly never an iPa.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    NB Belgo is one of the few takes on it I can handle

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    For me, the taste of an IPA after mowing the lawn or working in the yard is simply superb. I don't know why but the bitterness hits the tongue which triggers that thing in the brain like your sex center. I'm serious! Not like sexual or anything. Ha!

Also IPAs aren't as filling like a stout or porter or even a wheat. Anytime I go out I'm always asking for an IPA. Love them, but I have also tried some that were almost too hoppy.

I will say this though. It wasn't an overnight love affair. I remember years ago ordering a Pale Ale (sort of hoppy instead of my usual Boulevard Wheat Beer. I really had a difficult time getting it down. But over time (years i don't recall) I began to enjoy the bitterness of the Pale more than the wheat.

I say stick with it! Your tastes will come around.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

I love beer, I hate IPA !!!

@Kapusta maybe you just don't like cascade? Idk. I just tried some of the goose island beers and I was impressed. I was going to suggest st Arnold's Ellis's ipa but I think that's all cascade.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I've never been an IPA lover but as the years have passed and I've been forced to drink them as part of a sampler or beer tour or what have you, they are slowly growing on me. I think it's like learning to like beer or coffee the first time. It's horrible right away but as you consume it more it slowly grows on you.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast