mtbr member
    Aug 2010

I found a few bottles of Chimay in the back of the pantry

I purchased several bottles of Chimay a little over 1 year ago and was curious if they are still good to drink? I tried a few google searches but most of the 'how long does beer keep' was for beers like Budweiser, Coors, etc. I thought I remember reading that the trappist brews are good for a long time but I can't find that info now. Any thoughts on this matter are appreciated. Thanks!

Paper Mill Aleworks
    They will be fine, drink and enjoy.
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Winston Churchill

ride more
    Mar 2007
    They will be good, maybe better.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Excellent. Thanks guys. Now I need to figure out which one I will drink tonight - blue, red, triple. Decisions, decisions...

No no...the OTHER LA.
    Jul 2005
    I have bottles of Chimay blue (grande reserve) dating back to 2005. In a couple years I am planning a tasting to see how the different years age. Once you are up close to 10% ABV, 5 up to 20+ years of aging typically won't be detrimental to the beer. I imagine I'll see the beer improves up to 5 years or so and plateaus after that.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Blue cap ages very well, good for years and likely better than when purchased. Red does not age the same way and does go 'bad' after a while, but a year is still okay.

BTW this info is on the Chimay website
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/lostboyscout | www.beerscout.ca
    Knolly Chilcotin | Surly Long Haul Trucker

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Ah so it is on the website! I do in fact see it there now. Hmm not sure how I missed that earlier. I had forgotten how good Chimay is and I'm now through one glass. I'm going to add this to my post ride recovery routine. Thanks again for the responses.

mtbr member
    The longer you keep them the more carbonation you will lose. A friend of mine recently had a bottle of Blue from 1980 at a bar in Europe. It had zero carbonation and in his opinion, it was completely sublime.
    Last edited by Arebee; 01-06-2013 at 11:12 AM.

jrm
    mtbr member

Its going to depend on

which ones you have. Please post the results
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I had the blue on an empty stomach. It was great.

a bottle of Blue from 1980 at a bar in Europe
    amazing. I really didn't know any beer could keep that long. During the holidays I drank mostly Bud light with the red-neck inlaws so this Chimay really hit the spot. I'm glad I found this beer forum. I plan on dropping in periodically because I would like to be a little more sophisticated/enlightened/knowledgable beer drinker.

mtbr member
    Well, I wish to correct my previous statement. The beer I mentioned was a 1990 not a 1980. I searched my buddy's review and here it is:

"The Chimay, surprisingly, still had a good bit of carbonation, though nothing like a new version. The color was a deep mahogany, more translucent than a fresh one would be. I'm pretty familiar with Chimay Blue and its thick, malty, palate coating flavors of dark fruit, anise, raisins and the like. This 1990 vintage beer had none of that. Instead, it was a collection of ethereal wisps of almond, toffee, coffee candy and a dusty, dry wood character. You could taste the cellar, literally. It wasn't a bad thing at all, quite the contrary....The 1990 Chimay definitely had a loss of carbonation. It certainly had less than half of that of a fresh beer, but there was enough to produce a small head."

Note: the completely flat beer was a different one, that he also said tasted very good.