Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    swag ho Administrator

Hopslam vs. Pliny

Who has tried both? Which one is the winner?

What would you say are other contenders?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hopslam vs. Pliny-img_2282.jpg  

IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I prefer Pliny. Contender and winner would be Heady Topper out of what used to be The Alchemist in Waterbury Vermont (KILLER mountain biking) before it got flooded. They still brew it though and my buds will mail me a case whenever they make it up there. Another solid contender would be Vortex out of Fort George Brewery in Astoria Or. Just thought I would mention those 2 because you may never here of them on a beer forum and they very solid

swag ho Administrator
    I've had Heady Topper a couple times. Very well done indeed!!
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I'll concur Vortex is good ****. And I drink Heady Topper on a regular basis. Never had Pliny and not even sure I'll ever bother hunting it down, unless I'm in that area. There are so many amazing beers available just here in Vermont, I don't see the need to hunt down all the hyped up stuff from everywhere else. I visit every brewpub or brewery I can when I travel (which is a lot), but I've quit trading with folks.
    It's a good time to be a beer drinker. Heady times we live in.

Beer Please!
    This is too hard to determine. One would need to be able to try both when fresh side by side. My understanding is the two are not usually released at the same time.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

Hi.
    FC you comparing Elder or Younger with Hopslam?

Either way I prefer Pliny. Hopslam is lacking in the citrus department for me this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    This is too hard to determine. One would need to be able to try both when fresh side by side. My understanding is the two are not usually released at the same time.
    Hopslam was just released and Younger is on tap now. The only way to compare the two is to bring a bottle of Hopslam to a bar serving Younger since it's not bottled. Elder is made all the time so it's easy to compare.

I've had both Younger and Hopslam recently. Younger is A LOT better, but Younger is no longer the top beer in my book - I've had a bunch of imperial IPAs in the past year that I prefer.

mtbr member
    I think there are probably 500 IPA's that would be considered "condenders" these days.

Pliny rocked everyone's socks off a few years ago, but now it really doesn't stand out to me in any way.

These days, I'm liking Odells Myrcenary (double IPA), Odells IPA, Oscar Blues Gubna (double) and Deviant Dales (practically a double 8%, same as Pliny), and the Firestone Union Jack and Double Jack.

There are so many....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    Which one is the winner?
    We are.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    If were talking imperial or double IPA's see if you guys can find some Alpha Centauri by Hop Valley. One of the most tasty & drinkable Imperials I've had at 9%. It's cheap to.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by willapajames View Post
    I'll concur Vortex is good ****. And I drink Heady Topper on a regular basis. Never had Pliny and not even sure I'll ever bother hunting it down, unless I'm in that area. There are so many amazing beers available just here in Vermont, I don't see the need to hunt down all the hyped up stuff from everywhere else. I visit every brewpub or brewery I can when I travel (which is a lot), but I've quit trading with folks.
    It's a good time to be a beer drinker. Heady times we live in.
    Heady times indeed. Can you get Vortex in Vermont? If so where I would like to let my east coast friends know where they can get it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    If were talking imperial or double IPA's see if you guys can find some Alpha Centauri by Hop Valley. One of the most tasty & drinkable Imperials I've had at 9%. It's cheap to.
    +1. I only got to try Pliny once, but I like Alpha Centauri better in my non-scientific taste poll. Might be the most under-appreciated beer from Oregon.
    Noogie...Noogie...Noogie.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    My favorite non pliny IPAs

Mother Earth Kismet
    Stone Enjoy-By
    Caldera IPA
    Alpine Exponential Hoppiness
    Sierra Nevada Torpedo (cheap and tasty)

a dad
    Jan 2004
    The first time I had a Elder I thought it was the greatest ever.. but, so much has changed since then.

I recently had one (3 weeks ago). Its still really good, but many others have caught up.

We can't get any of the Bells in Colorado, that sucks.

Recent ones that I really liked (may not be the best, but sometimes different is best)

Stone Enjoy-by is really really good.
    Cigar City Jai Alai I thought was amazing
    21st Amendment IPA is a good, mellow, easy drinking one
    AleSmith IPA is very good and a good price
    Uinta Detour

My sister sent me the Heady for Xmas.. wow, that was probably the latest greatest for me..
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    Heady times indeed. Can you get Vortex in Vermont? If so where I would like to let my east coast friends know where they can get it.
    Nope, I haven't seen it in Vermont, at least not Montpelier/Stowe. I've had it at the source in Astoria. Fort George is a great place, really dig it there. Being a science-liking kinda person, I especially like that they occasionally have scientific presentations, accompanied by beer. My folks live in Ocean Park Washington, across the river from Astoria, so I get there once a year or so.
    However, the Coop in Montpelier did actually have the "Sunshine" Oatmeal Pale Ale a few times (also excellent, especially on tap), but I haven't seen it in a while. Bet you could request it. They often seem to be bringing in new stuff there.
    Then again, I am actually headed out to WA tomorrow, and will probably bring back some Fort George brews. Maybe we can trade...

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by willapajames View Post
    Nope, I haven't seen it in Vermont, at least not Montpelier/Stowe. I've had it at the source in Astoria. Fort George is a great place, really dig it there. Being a science-liking kinda person, I especially like that they occasionally have scientific presentations, accompanied by beer. My folks live in Ocean Park Washington, across the river from Astoria, so I get there once a year or so.
    However, the Coop in Montpelier did actually have the "Sunshine" Oatmeal Pale Ale a few times (also excellent, especially on tap), but I haven't seen it in a while. Bet you could request it. They often seem to be bringing in new stuff there.
    Then again, I am actually headed out to WA tomorrow, and will probably bring back some Fort George brews. Maybe we can trade...
    Ah cool, I know Ocean Park a bit as I go up to Long Beach once in a while. Astoria is a spectacular spot. I live in Portland so no issues getting Fort George beers here. Not sure if you've been but Forge George recently (maybe within 2 years) opened a small bar in the back of their brewery which I prefer over their restaurant side. Also I highly recommend driving out to Fort Stevens St Park. Drive to the end where there is a MASSIVE jetty as the Columbia River dumbs in to the Pacific...it's pretty intense. Also Rogue has a tap house out on the pier on the Columbia in Astoria with a maritime museum you can walk around. Maybe you know all this but just thought I'd throw it out there. If you happen to make out here in summer & want to get on some rides look me up. Enjoy your trip.

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by jtmartino View Post
    FC you comparing Elder or Younger with Hopslam?

Either way I prefer Pliny. Hopslam is lacking in the citrus department for me this year.

Hopslam was just released and Younger is on tap now. The only way to compare the two is to bring a bottle of Hopslam to a bar serving Younger since it's not bottled. Elder is made all the time so it's easy to compare.

I've had both Younger and Hopslam recently. Younger is A LOT better, but Younger is no longer the top beer in my book - I've had a bunch of imperial IPAs in the past year that I prefer.

Pliny The Elder vs. Hopslam is what I meant. Two bottles... head to head.

Interesting note about the Hopslam changing every Josh. I didn't know that. Yes, the Hopslam this year definitely has no citrus or floral nature to it.

fc
    IPA will save America

Afric Pepperbird
    I'd take a good half a dozen Oregon IPA's over those in a heartbeat.

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post
    I'd take a good half a dozen Oregon IPA's over those in a heartbeat.
    Name some beers. We've actually tried many, many Oregon IPAs. San Diego too.

fc
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Dirtwolf is a double IPA from Victory that is an excellent beer!! Just got some and I'm really digging it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Name some beers. We've actually tried many, many Oregon IPAs. San Diego too.

fc
    Who is "we've"? Your focus group? I applaud your efforts to support the beer forum. The old Pliny vs. other beers usually brings out a strong response. Pliny clearly being one of the most over-hyped beers in the history of second-wave brewing. It's not Pliny's or RR's fault. It's an excellent beer. But the hype machine makes the reputation hard to live up to. And the reputation seems more than a bit dated. Full disclosure, as I've mentioned before in this thread, I've only had Pliny once. It's impossible to find in my neck of the woods. I will gladly try it again next time I get the chance. Maybe my opinions will change.

I'm not saying my choices are better…I just like them more than Pliny. Different hop styles and whatnot, mind you.

Alpha Centauri by Hop Valley
    Both the Boneyard IPA's are better
    Wanderlust IPA from Breakside (only tried the bottled)
    Clusterf*ck IPA (only tried bottled)

I'm sure Dirt Farmer has a couple others to add to this list. Oh, and I'm not one of those Oregon vs. Cali folks. Cali beers are great.
    Last edited by Slow Danger; 02-14-2014 at 05:10 PM.

Readin & Postin since '02
    Jul 2006
    I keep hearing about Pliny Killers (Elder and Younger), but so far the recommended beers that I have tried, just haven't knocked Pliny off the throne yet. Don't get me wrong, I like most of what I've tasted, but for me, the floral and citrus just work on another level.

At the end of the day, Life is too short to drink bad beer, so enjoy what you drink and drink what you enjoy.

Hi.
    Pliny The Elder vs. Hopslam is what I meant. Two bottles... head to head.

Interesting note about the Hopslam changing every Josh. I didn't know that. Yes, the Hopslam this year definitely has no citrus or floral nature to it.

fc
    Sometimes brewers change the recipe to adapt to what's available from hop growers. Sometimes they change the recipe for fun. And sometimes the hops themselves are different - 2013 and 2012 were very different years in terms of weather and precipitation for many hop growers. I'm sure this had a pretty substantial effect on some hop harvests. Younger is very different this year too...

Quote Originally Posted by Slow Danger View Post
    Who is "we've"? Your focus group?

I'm sure Dirt Farmer has a couple others to ad to this list. Oh, and I'm not one of those Oregon vs. Cali folks. Cali beers are great.
    When Francis says "we," he means most of the NorCal forum, local industry people and anyone who comes to visit. He has a tendency to take people out on awesome MTB rides and then ply them with good beer afterward....

And Oregon makes ridiculous IPAs. I'd rather have Boneyard or Crux over Pliny any day of the week. But I'm still a sucker for Alpine, Societe and Pizza Port's stuff...

mtbr member
    If you like a big Imperial IPA, look up a Double Crooked Tree from Dark Horse Brewery in Marshall, Michigan. 12% and tasty too!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jtmartino View Post
    When Francis says "we," he means most of the NorCal forum, local industry people and anyone who comes to visit. He has a tendency to take people out on awesome MTB rides and then ply them with good beer afterward....
    I figured it was something like that. I just had to bust Francois' chops a bit since he's the builder of the clubhouse.

I find what you're saying about the variations in beer and hops from year-to-year interesting. I have no idea why I hadn't thought about the variations in growing years/weather cycles as pertains to the taste of beers. It's so obvious. Lately, I've been having a lot of "that doesn't taste how I remember it" moments. I figured it might be due to changes in taste buds, or even changes in what I'd eaten the day I tried a beer. Could easily be just a variation in the hops, or even how the bottles were stored/handled before I got them.

Oh, and I forgot to mention the Crux IPA as well.

swag ho Administrator

Hopslam vs. Pliny

Quote Originally Posted by Slow Danger View Post
    Who is "we've"? Your focus group? I applaud your efforts to support the beer forum. The old Pliny vs. other beers usually brings out a strong response. Pliny clearly being one of the most over-hyped beers in the history of second-wave brewing. It's not Pliny's or RR's fault. It's an excellent beer. But the hype machine makes the reputation hard to live up to. And the reputation seems more than a bit dated. Full disclosure, as I've mentioned before in this thread, I've only had Pliny once. It's impossible to find in my neck of the woods. I will gladly try it again next time I get the chance. Maybe my opinions will change.

I'm not saying my choices are better…I just like them more than Pliny. Different hop styles and whatnot, mind you.

Alpha Centauri by Hop Valley
    Both the Boneyard IPA's are better
    Wanderlust IPA from Breakside (only tried the bottled)
    Clusterf*ck IPA (only tried bottled)

I'm sure Dirt Farmer has a couple others to add to this list. Oh, and I'm not one of those Oregon vs. Cali folks. Cali beers are great.
    Actually yeah. We have a group of 50 that taste beer regularly. Sometimes at my house with over 100 bottles. Usually though after a ride everyone brings 3 bottles to share. We have a Facebook group too with nonstop beer chatter.

Good choices on the beer. The Pliny style of beer (floral, fruity) is what I enjoy the most so I try to taste them all. One has to be bottled though to compare. Pliny on tap is wayy better than bottled as well.

-autocorrected-
    Last edited by francois; 02-15-2014 at 07:55 PM.
    IPA will save America

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast