Thread: Hopslam...

Yes, that's fonetic

Hopslam...

...anyone tried it? Does it live up to the hype?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    It costs close to $20 per 6 pack and it is delicious! I wish I could have found a second one to buy. It is awesome, but I love IPAs, especially doubles or imperials. It is like a hop bomb in your mouth. It is pretty balanced so not offensively bitter but it is very hoppy. If you can find some to buy, it is definitely worth it if the style is up your alley.

No no...the OTHER LA.
    Jul 2005
    Bell's doesn't ship to NM, so I never had a chance to sample a fresh Hopslam. Currently being in Florida for a few more month, that changed last week, when a local pub had it on tap.

My opinion: Good beer, but not much better than Hoptimum. For 10% ABV, it is really smooth, with an awesome hop nose and a bit on the dry side. I had it fresh on tap, and the glass went down pretty quickly but I felt it at the end and really didn't have much desire for a second. I would recommend it, especially if the price doesn't have much impact on your beer decisions.

Paper Mill Aleworks
    It's good...very good, but no beer lives to it's hype, pretty much ever.
    Here in PA, I can get cases for around $60, so it's not that bad and we get plenty.
    If I had to hunt it out, and pay $20/sixer, I might be less enthusiastic about it.
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Winston Churchill

mtbr member
    Best IPA I have ever had....I should have bought a case instead of a sixer because I can't find it anymore.

ready to ride
    Meh. It's good but not great. Not worth the cost. That said if my beer store didn't sell out of it I would have bout a six or two. So yes worth a try. Actually the burger joint around the corner has it on tap, and had one last night. Hmmm maybe I should hop on the bike and go get one.
    Sent via my heady vibes from the heart of Pisgahstan

mtbr member
    Four years ago, I was blown away with Hopslam the first year I was able to try it (it was like $13.99 or $16.99 a sixer). Since then, I have been unimpressed with this brew. It is really good, but in no way is it any better than many other DIPA's out there. DIPA is my favorite beer style, but I personally think this beer is too hyped. I appreciate the honey in the malt character, and love the hop flavors and aromas, but would not give this my gold medal. I think there are many other excellent examples of really good DIPA out there (ie: Firestone Walker's Double Jack, Pliny the Elder, DFH Burton Baton, DFH 90 min, Great Divide Hercules, plus many other's not offered in bottles by craft brewers).
    Since I started homebrewing, I've been able to clone this beer, and since then, I have really been demotivated to spend the $20 on a sixer only to be left feeling slightly unsatisfied.
    Making Milk by Day, Beer by Night