Afric Pepperbird

Hoppiness.... ruining beer's reputation??

According to this author/article, it is so.

I think a lot of new beer drinkers are actually gravitating towards hoppy beers! I live in the Pacific NW, where hop is king; yet when I visit my childhood state of Wisconsin, hoppy beers are not very prevalent, yet they are becoming increasingly popular there, slowly but surely.

What is your take on this author's point?

edit: here's an interesting take on the article, found in the comment section

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I think that the response is pretty much on point. It is the super hoppy beers that draw my attention time and time again. The local scene in Utah has quite a few heavily hopped options that I rather love (Hopulent, Hops Rising, and the seasonal Co-Hop-Eration come to mind).
    While I think that brewers should try to have a wide range of offerings that cater to several palates, the connoisseurs will continue to enjoy the strong ales on offer. With that said, you are never going to please everyone. One of our local breweries only makes a few beers I can enjoy. I understand their quality and recommend them highly to any beer lover. I have just found that it's only the pale ales that I enjoy. They are a high gravity specialty brewery called Epic.

mtbr member
    Yea, I'm in the NW too. IPA's are king here, I don't care for them( though I manage to choke them down). I once had a hipster dufess tell me, if I don't like Hoppie berr, then I don't really like beer.

I prefer stouts above all else, but consider myself to have a broad range of taste.

Hillbilly
    I love hoppy beers. Some focus too much on them though, and other beers would be much better with a little less hops. I know most would disagree with me, but Hopslam would be better if they went a tad lighter on the hops.

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004
    The article is truly cutting-edge beer journalism. From about five years ago.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ser jameson View Post
    Yea, I'm in the NW too. IPA's are king here, I don't care for them( though I manage to choke them down). I once had a hipster dufess tell me, if I don't like Hoppie berr, then I don't really like beer.

I prefer stouts above all else, but consider myself to have a broad range of taste.
    That's just stupid! All beers are good for someone, you just gotta find the one for you

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    While I do love all beers (except NAILs- ick!), I think a lot of average to below-average brewers use massively hopped beers to hide off-flavors.