Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Almost time to try my "Better Late Than Never" Summer Ale. My second batch of beer, the first being a Milk Stout that came out stupendous if I do say so myself.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I have been on a SMaSH kick lately, going to do a Vienna/Mt. Hood SMaSH soonish. Was pretty popular on my last camping trip.

Paper Mill Aleworks
    Bottled our yet to be named IPA today.

Big malt presence, which seems to have been balanced nicely by the Chinook and Cascade hops.
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Winston Churchill

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by opiate82 View Post
    I have been on a SMaSH kick lately, going to do a Vienna/Mt. Hood SMaSH soonish. Was pretty popular on my last camping trip.
    I did a Simcoe and Australian Galaxy SMaSH late spring and they were two of my favorite beers. I split a 5 gal. batch of wort. Now that the very hot weather has passed, I'll likely do two batches this weekend. I'm thinking Amerillo and Falconers Flight. I also will do a Citra IIPA, based off a Citra IPA that has been loved by everyone I've had try it. Time to get the yeast out of the fridge and get starters going.........

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Got a Stone IPA clone, my Punk King pumpkin ale, and a hoppy amber ale on draft right now. Belgian Strong ale in primary for the last month, and brewing up an Arrogant bastard clone and a milk stout next week.

Tough work refilling an empty pipeline, but someone's got to do it.

mtbr member
    I'm just starting to brew a winter beer. It's the winter warmer from NB. I'm hoping it will be good.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Brewed up an awesome pumpkin pie spiced amber ale, cant wait for it to be finished!

Paper Mill Aleworks
    Spent the weekend in Brooklyn, assisting a buddy in his first BIAB since moving into his new apartment. A Dunkleweisse.

Sunday, I took gravity readings of both the Hop Harvest Ale (Left), and the Tropical Jam Session (Right). Then racked the latter onto Chinook hops, fresh guava and peaches, where it'll sit for a week or so.

The harvest ale is tasting very nice, and will probably get cold-crashed by mid week. The session brew is very lite, but has a nice dry fruit flavor, with very little hop presence...hopefully the dry-hopping will help with that.
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Winston Churchill

mtbr member
    oatmeal brown on the schedule for saturday with a citra pale on deck.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    lets more beer

Paper Mill Aleworks
    Kegged two new beers Sunday.

Our all homegrown and wet-hopped "Hop Harvest" red ale came in at an easy drinking 5%, with great hop presence, and Chinook/Nugget aroma.

The second is a very easy drinking 3% session experiment we've dubbed "Tropical Jam Session". A light bodies fruit beer, brewed with as well as secondaried with fresh guava and peaches, along with a Chinook dry-hopping. Heavy tropical aroma, and mild sweetness.

mtbr member

CO Wild Hop Pale Ale

Brewed a pale ale with some freshly picked hops. We rode for a short super steep climb about a mile at 13% grade, to the wild hop vines. picked about a 1/4 of a gallon ziploc bag full, the rode back down to find a lot more growing close to the trailhead. Filled the rest of the bag plenty for adding some at the 0 min and leaving some for dry hopping.

Homebrewers... Who's brew today-imag0077-3-.jpg
    Oh picked some rose hips too (red things in bag)...

Paper Mill Aleworks
    Quote Originally Posted by cdaler View Post
    Brewed a pale ale with some freshly picked hops. We rode for a short super steep climb about a mile at 13% grade, to the wild hop vines. picked about a 1/4 of a gallon ziploc bag full, the rode back down to find a lot more growing close to the trailhead. Filled the rest of the bag plenty for adding some at the 0 min and leaving some for dry hopping.

Oh picked some rose hips too (red things in bag)...
    That is awesome!
    I wish I could stumble upon some wild growing hops around here, super cool.
    Can you describe the initial aroma of the hops you found?
    Please let us know how the brew turns out.

mtbr member

CO Wild Hop Pale Ale

The hops are very mild at first especially when they are green on the vine; the first time I found them I didn't even think they were beer hops, just some branch of the hop family. They get very spicy and pungent once they dry, just like the whole cone hops used in homebrew kits, so I decided to try them. The pic was taken at 7800' elevation and very few hop cones were left. Only where the vines were protected from the wind and cold. The cones at the upper elevation were pretty dry on the vine, at the lower elevation 7300' the hops we found were still green and much more flowery mild when picked. I picked on Tuesday and brewed on Thursday, and the dry cones really fell apart so I used a mesh bag to keep the mess to a minimum.

I took the hops over to the local microbrewery to see if they had an idea of what kind they were, but they didn't.

mtbr member
    I just got back into homebrewing after a long hiatus following a Mr Beer disaster. I currently have a Brewer's Best Oktoberfest in the primary, 2 gallons of mead waiting for clearing and hopefully good to go for our pagan winter solstice ride, and a batch of the White House Honey Ale in the secondary. The honey ale will be racked next Friday. I'm pretty excited to get back into it and am having a hard time deciding what to brew next. It really is a fun hobby.

Quote Originally Posted by pointerDixie214 View Post
    I am thinking a Pecan Brown Ale, and maybe some kind of stout or porter.
    You plan to use real pecans or extract? What's your plan to cut down on the nut oil effect on the final head?

mtbr member
    Couldn't wait to open my Lemongrass Thai.P.A. for a taste.

Next to brew is hard apple cider and possibly a stout.

Paper Mill Aleworks
    That is a dark IPA...what was the grain bill?
    Looks yummy though!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JFryauff View Post
    That is a dark IPA...what was the grain bill?
    Looks yummy though!
    Thanks. It does push the boundaries of color for an IPA. It's an extract/specialty grains brew with 7lbs light DME and 12oz 40L caramel malt, 6oz 120L caramel and 4oz 165L pale chocolate malt.

The rest of the recipe can be seen here: http://hopville.com/recipe/1651346

Paper Mill Aleworks
    Quote Originally Posted by gsoroos View Post
    12oz 40L caramel malt, 6oz 120L caramel and 4oz 165L pale chocolate malt.
    That would explain it
    Looks great though.

I brewed a DIPA a while back that used Crystal 20L and 40L, and it was a very nice burnt umber hue, with a heavy malt backbone...so I can only imagine what a little 120L and chocolate would do. I'm sure it's nice and toasty.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I have 2 underway at present: A Woodfordes Norfork Wherry with Safale S04 Yeast and an extra 500g of beer enhancer and another Wherry with Nottingham S04 Yeast and an extra 500g of beer enhancer. The first one has been kegged while the second is still underway in the FV

Paper Mill Aleworks
    Just tapped a well conditioned English style "best bitter" ale.

Traditional English bitter malt bill, but wet-hopped with American Chinook and Nugget.
    It's biscuit-hop aroma matches it's medium bodied, toasted and bitter hop flavor, with a traditional off-dry ESB finish.
    Weighing in at just a tad shy of 5% ABV, it drinks easy.
    Served at 54 degrees with low carbonation, in order to mimic an casked English real ale as best as I am able to.

Unofficially dubbed "The Bitter End", we'll see if it passes muster and makes it into a regular/semi-regular rotation.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JFryauff View Post
    Just tapped a well conditioned English style "best bitter" ale.

Traditional English bitter malt bill, but wet-hopped with American Chinook and Nugget.
    It's biscuit-hop aroma matches it's medium bodied, toasted and bitter hop flavor, with a traditional off-dry ESB finish.
    Weighing in at just a tad shy of 5% ABV, it drinks easy.
    Served at 54 degrees with low carbonation, in order to mimic an casked English real ale as best as I am able to.

Unofficially dubbed "The Bitter End", we'll see if it passes muster and makes it into a regular/semi-regular rotation.
    Looks great!

mtbr member
    a rye saison on deck for sunday.

fermenting: oatmeal brown and citra pale.

Paper Mill Aleworks
    Every year...for the past four years anyway...we create a Holiday/Christmas cider to gift to family and friends.

This year, we put together a Basque cider, a kind of cider hybrid.
    Using 5lbs of Belgian grains we steeped in the cider for some additional fermentables, brown sugar, and brettanomyces.
    It was fermented with a Belgian Ardene's and champagne yeast blend, the aged for 8 months on oak, with an inoculation of Brettanomyces bruxellensis.

Pre-carbonation tasting is wonderful. Apple and acidic-funk nose, light/dry mouth-feel, smooth apple flavor with mild sour/oak tannin undertones that finishes with an intriguing malt backbone. The potency of this cider hits just under 12% ABV, but you'd never no it

mtbr member
    CO Wild Hop Pale Ale- Update
    Well kegged it today. Sat in primary for about 2 weeks then been in secondary fermenter since. Was going to keg before Christmas but that didn't happen. The initial taste is very promising smooth and surprisingly a little malty with a good hop finish. I'll let it sit on the CO2 a few days and report.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast