mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Homebrew Explosion!

Ive read about these but never experienced one til now. I brewed up a nice all-grain Sierra nevada Pale ale clone last sunday at my parents house (my apartment is too small). I came home the following saturday and the air lock was blown off and there was krauzen splattered everywhere. Is this batch ruined since I really have no idea how long it sat uncovered? Ill post pictures soon.

Paper Mill Aleworks
    Had the krausen died down, or was it still bubbling away? If it was still bubbling/fermenting, a CO2 barrier should still be in place, and no harm may have been done. I'd just replace the airlock, and see what happens. I'd also check into making a blow-off tube
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Winston Churchill

mtbr member
    My wife's snow board still has rasberry seeds stuck to it from a Rasberry RIS blowout five years ago.

I have switched over to blow off tubes for all of my primaries now.
    A 7 gallon carboy also helps prevent disasters.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jafstl38 View Post
    Ive read about these but never experienced one til now. I brewed up a nice all-grain Sierra nevada Pale ale clone last sunday at my parents house (my apartment is too small). I came home the following saturday and the air lock was blown off and there was krauzen splattered everywhere. Is this batch ruined since I really have no idea how long it sat uncovered? Ill post pictures soon.
    It will probably be OK. There is only one way to know - finish it and drink... !
    I was gonna stop by and see you, but the Jehovas witnesses came by. When they left I started drinking. Voicemail from Paul

Hi.
    I've popped the airlock a few times and haven't had any problems...as JFryauff said, you could be safe with a CO2 buffer!

Plays with tools
    The damage is done. Recap it and let it finish, then taste it when it goes into secondary fermentation and again when it's headed to packaging. If you taste something off at that point it's most likely bad. Even if you don't I would drink it quick! Most sanitation problems get worse with age. There have been several examples of breweries sending beer out that was later discovered had mild infections.

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by customfab View Post
    The damage is done. Recap it and let it finish, then taste it when it goes into secondary fermentation and again when it's headed to packaging. If you taste something off at that point it's most likely bad. Even if you don't I would drink it quick! Most sanitation problems get worse with age. There have been several examples of breweries sending beer out that was later discovered had mild infections.
    Good points. A small, initially undetectable infection could sour a whole batch. The funny thing that is keeping the beer refrigerated will slow the infection, but it needs to be warmer in order to bottle carb. Kinda screwed if you have some active bugs in there.

That said, I've had violent blowoffs before (when I used really big starters) and they didn't turn out infected. Could be fine.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    When I use a LOT of hops I get a lot of blow off. Just run your airlock with an extended tube into a pitcher of saniwater. It looks scary, but you should be fine.

As everyone stated, you won't know till you taste it.

Wait till you get into sour beers. Talk about "iffy" feelings.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jtmartino View Post
    The funny thing that is keeping the beer refrigerated will slow the infection, but it needs to be warmer in order to bottle carb.
    Sounds like its time for a keg party!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I agree, finish fermenting, bottle carb for a week, put it in the frig, and have a party asap.

Quiet Professional

Re: Homebrew Explosion!

If you had to once finished you could pasturize the beer if you were worried about microbial infestation.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

Paper Mill Aleworks
    Pasteurization as a home-brewer is very tricky, and if the damage is done, pasteurization will do nothing for an already metabolized infection. Too risky in my opinion.

But before we go jumping the gun on that...have we even found any concern of infection yet? what's the consensus of the beer in question? it's been two weeks since the episode took place, have you tastes it jafstl38?
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Winston Churchill

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!

Re: Homebrew Explosion!

+1 for blow off tubes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Just bottled it, we'll see what happens!