Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Trail Connoisseur

Home-brewers! Lets see your setup.

When we aren't biking this is what we do! Here is a time-lapse video of us making a 10 gallon, all grain batch. The camera died right as the boil started so you'll have to fill in the blanks from there.
    All Grain Brewing (Time Lapse) 2 Hours in 2 Minutes - YouTube

What are you using?

mtbr member
    Awesome video and setup. I really want to get into brewing but I am severely lacking in space living in a small apartment. Someday I keep telling my self.

Trail Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by spn4125 View Post
    Awesome video and setup. I really want to get into brewing but I am severely lacking in space living in a small apartment. Someday I keep telling my self.
    Priorities man! Do you really need that furniture?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RIVER29 View Post
    Priorities man! Do you really need that furniture?
    Yeah because it keeps the girl friend happy...

I guess the real question is do I really need the girlfriend?...

Hi.
    Speaking of priorities, why are you drinking from bottles?

PS - great vid...thanks for sharing!

Trail Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by jtmartino View Post
    Speaking of priorities, why are you drinking from bottles?

PS - great vid...thanks for sharing!
    A lot of times one of us will bring some beer that we don't think anyone has tried. Also, we tend to reuse those bottles when we bottle so that we can give them away without losing all our good 20oz bottles that we paid for. I'm not sure what the case was this day.

Hi.
    A lot of times one of us will bring some beer that we don't think anyone has tried. Also, we tend to reuse those bottles when we bottle so that we can give them away without losing all our good 20oz bottles that we paid for. I'm not sure what the case was this day.
    Oh, that's not the issue. The issue is that you should be drinking from a glass!

Drinking beer from a glass allows you to really experience the beer. It allows volatile compounds to be released and promotes proper head formation. If you're drinking good beer from a bottle, you are really missing out. The only time you should drink from a bottle or can is when you don't have a glass, or when you don't care about the beer!

Drinking a craft beer from a bottle is like buying a Ferrari with an automatic transmission. It just shouldn't be done.

Paper Mill Aleworks
    Very nice...digging the tunes!
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Winston Churchill

Trail Connoisseur
    Oh, that's not the issue. The issue is that you should be drinking from a glass!

Drinking beer from a glass allows you to really experience the beer. It allows volatile compounds to be released and promotes proper head formation. If you're drinking good beer from a bottle, you are really missing out. The only time you should drink from a bottle or can is when you don't have a glass, or when you don't care about the beer!

Drinking a craft beer from a bottle is like buying a Ferrari with an automatic transmission. It just shouldn't be done.
    You are 100% correct in this statement and I have no excuse!

Hi.
    You live in Fort Collins? Maybe you and Guerdonian can hook up for some riding and some brews...he's pretty active on these beer forums.

So is that a custom setup? You guys build it yourself, or buy it pre-made? How's it working out?

Beer Me!
    You live in Fort Collins? Maybe you and Guerdonian can hook up for some riding and some brews...he's pretty active on these beer forums.

So is that a custom setup? You guys build it yourself, or buy it pre-made? How's it working out?
    Bammo, Josh speaks truth. We should grab a brew. PM me. Here is a photo of my setup, already posted in the beer and bike thread, but the only one i had handy. Looks like we are somewhat similar in tastes.

My Bike: FORM Cycles Titanium Prevail 29er

"Any wheel size is better than sitting at a computer all day." -Myself

whatever she says gueuze.
    Quote Originally Posted by spn4125 View Post
    I started doing extract in my 1 bedroom apt. All you really need is a 5 gallon pot to boil about 2-3 gallons of water and use your sink for an ice bath afterwards. Stick your carboy in a closet and you're good. You can definitely make some good beer using extract+steeping grains.

Trail Connoisseur
    You guys build it yourself, or buy it pre-made? How's it working out?
    Part custom from someone else and a lot custom from us. It was the original "Big Beaver Brewery" out of Loveland, CO. When Peter started building his public brewery we bought the kegs, burners, and frame. Since then we have added the automation software, digital probes, fermentation tanks, pumps, etc. that make it our own.

We make a lot of beer (often 10 gallons + a week). Most of it comes out great but when you try a lot of things sometimes you find the thing that you shouldn't have tried. Overall, I would say that it is working amazing... been making beer for years and it just keeps getting harder to pay $9 a six pack for the same stuff I make.
    Last edited by RIVER29; 05-01-2012 at 08:03 PM.

mtbr member
    Awesome setup!

I'm doing small (3 gallon) all grain batches on my stove BIAB style and fermenting in humble ale pales. It works for me and since I brew smaller batches I can brew more often!

My best beer so far is a Munich lager, light/sessionable but still has some malt/hop backbone and it came out very very true to style.

Trail Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by spazzy View Post
    Awesome setup!

I'm doing small (3 gallon) all grain batches on my stove BIAB style and fermenting in humble ale pales. It works for me and since I brew smaller batches I can brew more often!

My best beer so far is a Munich lager, light/sessionable but still has some malt/hop backbone and it came out very very true to style.
    That's how it starts, glad to hear that your doing all grain... really opens the door to creativity in my opinion.

mtbr member
    I have been stove top, partial mash brewing for almost ten years now. I brew every six weeks or so. I have done five different types of IPA, porters, stouts, browns, pale ales, hefeweizens, blonds, reds, dry hopped, wet hopped, whatever.
    I play around with recipes quite a bit too. The best so far has been a bitter chocolate - oatmeal stout based off of a RIS recipe. I can not make enough of that one.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

mtbr member
    That's how it starts, glad to hear that your doing all grain... really opens the door to creativity in my opinion.
    Thanks! I started brewing extract in 5 to 6 gallon batches and I made OK beer. I've really had fun with the massive variety of options with all grain. I'm really starting to nail recepies and make great beer. The next step is to transition to larger batches when the funds allow for better/bigger equipment!

Trail Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by Guerdonian View Post

Those are some nice looking setups! Do you have that ride together yet?

mnoutain bkie rdier
    When we aren't biking this is what we do! Here is a time-lapse video of us making a 10 gallon, all grain batch. The camera died right as the boil started so you'll have to fill in the blanks from there.
    All Grain Brewing (Time Lapse) 2 Hours in 2 Minutes - YouTube

What are you using?
    Inspiring! Thx for the vid River..

Beer Me!
    Those are some nice looking setups! Do you have that ride together yet?
    Yep, its the one in my signature.

We have gotten probably 20+ brews on our system now. Best one was a tripple IPA with juniper named "Indian June" grain bill was 70lbs and I thought it was going to break the stand when the mash tun was full. Came out to 11.5% ABV. Won't be doing another high abv batch like that with 100% grain, deffinitly will be doing a partial extract. Other highlights include a rose hip and hibiscus saison, an apricot preserve heff, and a root bier (brown ale using root beer spices).

Trail Connoisseur
    70lbs! That's insane! I'm assuming your doing 10gl batches? What kind of yeast did you use to get 11.5 ABV? Sounds like you guys are making some cool beers.

Oh yeah, I know there is a whole thread dedicated to it but SICK BIKE! Congrats

Beer Me!
    70lbs! That's insane! I'm assuming your doing 10gl batches? What kind of yeast did you use to get 11.5 ABV? Sounds like you guys are making some cool beers.

Oh yeah, I know there is a whole thread dedicated to it but SICK BIKE! Congrats
    Maybe less, like 50, whatever it was it filled the mash ton to the brim.

I think we got a 9gal yield out of that one. Its a 15gal system, had to double fill the hot liquor tank due to the absorption in the mash bed. It was fun, but like i mentioned, partial extract on anything over 8% now.

I don't remember the yeast but I think it was a barley wine yeast, i would have to look at my notes.

Thanks for the bike complement, I will be down town imbibing and participating in revelry, I will send you a PM to maybe meet for a pint

Edit: should have specified tomorrow or sat, out on the trail tonight

mtbr member
    cool video, what's the name of that song.
    A person who never made a mistake,
    never tried anything new..... Albert Einstein

Trail Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by blumena84 View Post
    cool video, what's the name of that song.
    Thanks! The tune is Dubzilla by Rebelution

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Here's our setup.

The Kegerator

Carb setup

HomeBrew Stand

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast