Mtb Extraordinaire
    May 2006

Hate IPA's, buuuuuuuuuut !

I recenlty started a thread titled "Love Beer, Hate IPA's" about a month ago. In that time I was determined to try to find an IPA that I at least could agree on was a good tasting beer. Holy **** I found it .... Dogfish Head 90min IPA. Damn that is a greaaaaaaaaaat beer !!! I think I like it because it taste very creamy to me. Even though it has that IPA taste which I dont like, it's creamy like texture makes it all good. So what do IPA lovers think about this beer ?

I have had a few different IPA's over the last month and found nothing I really liked.

400lb Monkey (English IPA) - pretty gross
    Double Hearted Ale - OK at best
    Golden Moneky - OK would drink again but ehh

But damn 90min is a killer. My new favorite beer for sure. So what do all the IPA lovers think of this brew ?

Mtb Extraordinaire
    May 2006
    I also had their 60min IPA. Which I choked down half the glass before pouring it out.

Paper Mill Aleworks
    Well, I suppose it'd good you're trying new ones for reference, but IPA's may just be something that doesn't suit your palette. Nothing wrong with that.

90 Minute has a strong malt backbone, which may have been why you enjoyed it more. The mouth-feel will be creamier as you described, and can be quite a departure from "regular" IPA's.

Of the others you mentioned, Two Hearted and 400LB seem to have a heavier hop profile, without the malt backbone to balance it out...just the style they represent.

Golden Monkey on the other hand is not an IPA at all
    It's a Tripel.
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Winston Churchill

Beer Please!
    If you live on the east coast or somewhere that gets a varied distribution of Hebrew Beers, try the R.I.P.A. on Rye, it is thier Rye IPA aged in Rye Whiskey Casks. It is hard to find out west but one of my favorite IPA's of all time.
    telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

mtbr member
    90 minute is a much more Traditional/English interpretation of the IPA style. It's a tasty beer but it is vastly different than the more "Modern" versions which don't have the malt backbone that JFryauff mentioned and have A LOT more hop presence. Different strokes for different folks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    If you like the 90, I suggest Great Divide's Hercules, and Avery's Maharaja.

mtbr member
    You are tasting the malt in the 90min. That is one of the best examples of an American DIPA out there. You are tasting balance and a slightly higher final gravity (sweeter, more mouthfeel, more body). It's hard to start liking ipas starting with the imperials. Start by tasting 6 different examples of British ipas (or extras, bitters, or pales, or esb). Then taste 6 American made British ipas/bitter/pale/esb generally found on the east coast. Then try American pale ales like Sierra Nevada, alpha king, bells, Great Lakes, and stone (levitation and pale). Then go the ipas and DIPAs. You'll eventually find a hop balance you enjoy. Take notes on IBU's, ABV, yeast strains, and ingredients - wheat especially. It adds that creaminess you like as well as oats and barley. Do you like tropical fruits, pine trees, or freshly cut wet grass? All I can say is to drink all you can.

mtbr member
    Not an IPA fan and canít wait for the wave to be overÖ.but the 90min IPA is great stuff, though the Palo Santo Marron is my favorite from DF. The only other IPA that I can stand is from Bridgeport, just canít stand beer that tastes like a fruity flower.
    Quote Originally Posted by k1creeker View Post
    "yeah, she's fat, but you'd take her for a ride."

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Full Sale IPA. It's so yummy.