Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Paper Mill Aleworks

Happy Prohibition Repeal Day!

On Jan 16th 1919 Congress, at the urging of the Women's Christian Temperance Movement, passed the 18th Amendment, outlawing alcohol. Thirteen years later, running on a platform that included the repeal of Prohibition, FDR won the presidency and as promised, on Dec 5th 1933 the final states needed to obtain a majority passed the 21st Amendment and Prohibition was repealed.
    Be sure to raise a glass of beer (or whatever you’d like) and toast this return not only to the legalization of alcohol, but also the return of distillation and brewing traditions to the US.

To check out more about the 18th & 21st Amendments….

The 18th Amendment
    Ratified 16 January 1919

Section 1. After one year from the ratification of this article the manufacture, sale, or transportation of intoxicating liquors within, the importation thereof into, or the exportation thereof from the United States and all territory subject to the jurisdiction thereof for beverage purposes is hereby prohibited.

Section 2. The Congress and the several States shall have concurrent power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.

Section 3. This article shall be inoperative unless it shall have been ratified as an amendment to the Constitution by the legislatures of the several States, as provided in the Constitution, within seven years from the date of the submission hereof to the States by the Congress.

The 21st Amendment
    Ratified 5 December 1933

Section 1. The eighteenth article of amendment to the Constitution of the United States is hereby repealed.

Section 2. The transportation or importation into any State, Territory, or possession of the United States for delivery or use there in of intoxicating liquors, in violation of the laws thereof, is hereby prohibited.

Section 3. This article shall be inoperative unless it shall have been ratified as an amendment to the Constitution by conventions in the several States, as provided in the Constitution, within seven years from the date of the submission hereof to the States by the Congress.

Cheers!
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Winston Churchill

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004
    Indeed!

And, tomorrow, December 6, 2012, will mark the repeal of another prohibition in the State of Washington.

Weed Forum anyone?

beater
    Better make it a cocktail! Beer was legalized by Congress ahead of the repeal by removing it from the "intoxicating liquors" category.

A dram may be in order tonight.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

Hi.
    If it weren't for Prohibition, we wouldn't have Boardwalk Empire. Looking forward to the next season

Beer Me!
    Cheers my friends! It will be some Anchor Christmas Ale tonight!
    My Bike: FORM Cycles Titanium Prevail 29er

"Any wheel size is better than sitting at a computer all day." -Myself

Beer Please!
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    I know just the thing.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

Paper Mill Aleworks
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    Better make it a cocktail! Beer was legalized by Congress ahead of the repeal by removing it from the "intoxicating liquors" category.

Yes, but only in 19 states, not nationwide.
    Plus it limited beer to an ABV of 3.2%, as that was considered too low to induce intoxication.
    Either way, I have no issues celebrating "Brew Years Eve", and Repeal Day...just another excuse to drink
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Winston Churchill

tl1
    Bicyclist
    Quote Originally Posted by jtmartino View Post
    If it weren't for Prohibition, we wouldn't have Boardwalk Empire. Looking forward to the next season
    We still have prohibition and it's waaaaaaaaaaaay more expensive and damaging to society than alcohol prohibition ever was so I'll not be celebrating just yet. I wonder what sort of great romanticized stories we'll see about Mexican drug cartels and other prohibited substance providers on HBO in the future?

Paper Mill Aleworks
    Quote Originally Posted by tl1 View Post
    We still have prohibition and it's waaaaaaaaaaaay more expensive and damaging to society than alcohol prohibition ever was so I'll not be celebrating just yet.

Even in this thread...you...I don't even...really?

I wonder what sort of great romanticized stories we'll see about Mexican drug cartels and other prohibited substance providers on HBO in the future?
    Showtime did it...it's called "Weeds"

Hi.
    We still have prohibition and it's waaaaaaaaaaaay more expensive and damaging to society than alcohol prohibition ever was so I'll not be celebrating just yet. I wonder what sort of great romanticized stories we'll see about Mexican drug cartels and other prohibited substance providers on HBO in the future?
    This is the Beer forum, and we are talking about beer. Please stay on topic.

Quote Originally Posted by JFryauff View Post
    Seriously. Upgraded from troll to "forum cancer."

Beer Please!
    tl1 just likes to troll. I am surprised people continue to feed him. He loves posting stuff just to get people riled up.

I liken his consistent pestering of us to the guy who goes into a racing fans forums and post up article after article showing the dangers of racing.

Or goes into a fast food lovers forum and post articles about how bad for heath fast food is.

Or goes into a Android forum and posts about how apples are better.

or goes into an apple forum and praises google....

you see where this is going right?

There is no way to defeat a troll, just ignore his posts like he does not exist and eventually he will stop trying.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

tl1
    Bicyclist
    This is the Beer forum, and we are talking about beer. Please stay on topic.

Seriously. Upgraded from troll to "forum cancer."
    OK Mom. Boardwalk Empire is all about the beer I guess. Maybe not, because I only see them drinking illegal liquor, not beer, on the show. How about you practice what you preach and stay on topic in the first place? You may be promoted to "forum nanny scold" if this continues.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Happy Prohibition Repeal Day!-boardwalk-empire-opening-waves-full-bottles.jpg  

tl1
    Bicyclist
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    tl1 just likes to troll. I am surprised people continue to feed him. He loves posting stuff just to get people riled up.
    As long as we're off topic and expressing on our opinions about other forum members, I think you just love to get riled up by anything that requires you to think along different lines than you're used to. I think a great deal of life is a "troll" to you.

tl1
    Bicyclist

Showtime did it...it's called "Weeds"
    I love your self portrait, thank you very much for posting it, it was very brave. "Weeds" is in the past not the future. It was also hardly equivalent to shows like Boardwalk Empire that glorify straight out incredibly violent gangsterism. Gangserism that is directly caused by substance prohibition. How many shootouts and mass murders and how much incredibly widespread systemic public and private corruption has happened lately related to alcohol?

Paper Mill Aleworks
    I love your self portrait, thank you very much for posting it, it was very brave.
    It's my good side too.

tl1
    Bicyclist
    It's my good side too.
    Ruggedly handsome you definitely are. With a chiseled mug like that you could definitely have a chance with a girl like this.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Beer Me!
    Here is a gif to lighten the mood:
    My Bike: FORM Cycles Titanium Prevail 29er

"Any wheel size is better than sitting at a computer all day." -Myself

rod skinner
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Guerdonian View Post
    Here is a gif to lighten the mood:
    When I was a kid we had a raccoon has a pet. Brings back fond memories.
    btw raccoons we legal to own in California until 1964, when they were outlawed having them as pets.

Paper Mill Aleworks
    Quote Originally Posted by norton55 View Post
    btw raccoons we legal to own in California until 1964, when they were outlawed having them as pets.
    I wonder what sort of great romanticized stories we'll see about raccoon owners and other wild animal shelter providers on HBO in the future?
    ...in lieu of the inevitable.

I eat cats
    Nascar (stock car racing) was an outcome of prohibition.. So if you are a fan then perhaps prohibition did do some good or if you are not a fan then there's even more reason to scoff at prohibition. I'm not a fan nor a hater but I am definitely a beer drinker!
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    You see, I don't have a single brand name in my signature because I know most bike brands and component brands 99%.

tl1
    Bicyclist
    ...in lieu of the inevitable.
    There's a reason racoons aren't ideal as pets. They've been known to include baby faces in their diet. You knew I couldn't disappoint you.

Michigan girl, 10, ravaged by raccoon as a baby gets reconstructive surgery

Charlotte Ponce was attacked by her parents' pet raccoon when she was only 3 months old. Since then she's had a series of operations to rebuild her face. This latest one has given her a new nose.

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...icle-1.1212962

Hi.
    OK Mom. Boardwalk Empire is all about the beer I guess. Maybe not, because I only see them drinking illegal liquor, not beer, on the show. How about you practice what you preach and stay on topic in the first place? You may be promoted to "forum nanny scold" if this continues.
    This topic is about Prohibition. Boardwalk Empire is about Prohibition. You bring up marijuana

Please go find a journal article online that defends your use of that logic.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    CHEERS!!! I drank to celebrate

tl1
    Bicyclist
    Good movie review about prohibition here.

In 1971, Richard Nixon declared a war on drugs in America.

It is a war that was lost long ago. Drugs are cheaper and more plentiful now than ever before in the U.S. Yet over the past 40 years there have been some 45 million drug arrests here and the country's prison system has become the world's largest, bloated with nonviolent offenders busted for drug offenses.

For decades politicians have trotted out the drug issue as easy high moral ground flag to be waved, ignoring the massive injustice and economic waste engendered by this useless campaign. And they continue to ignore reality even as law enforcement officers, judges and prison authorities decry the situation.

This is the subject matter of writer-director Eugene Jarecki's "The House I Live In," a stark appraisal of the wreckage the war on drugs has caused over the years. Jarecki ("Why We Fight") is no stoner proselytizing on behalf of altered behavior; he's just looking at the too-many lives that have been ruined by this ridiculous quest.

He travels to more than 20 states, talking to narcotics officers, prison guards, families and individuals whose lives have been destroyed.

He traces the racist roots of the drug war — minorities are arrested at a much higher rate for drug offenses — and follows vice cops who can't even make sense of what they're doing.

He speaks with a federal judge who is forced by mandatory sentencing laws to sentence a man to 20 years in prison even though the punishment ridiculously outweighs the crime. He tracks how seizure laws have made police departments dependent on drug busts as a source of revenue.

Basically, he exposes the whole tragic mess, as well as the low political motivations that drive such insanity. "The House I Live In" leaves you shaking your head in deadened wonder at the waste of it all.

Movie review: 'House I Live In' examines drug war America keeps losing | The Detroit News | detroitnews.com

tl1
    Bicyclist
    This topic is about Prohibition. Boardwalk Empire is about Prohibition. You bring up marijuana

Please go find a journal article online that defends your use of that logic.
    Actually I said exactly nothing about marijuana and was talking about prohibition alone which we suffer from far more today than we did back in the times of alcohol prohibition. Lest the fevered imaginations go to work again and imagine that I'm advocating the use of drugs I'm not.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast