mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Habanero Sculpin IPA

My local bottle shop just got a keg of this in. I loved it. I wish they would bottle it or I lived in a place were I could buy it in growlers. Hands done one of the best beers I have tasted so far.

I love spicy foods. The first few sips are not that bad, but by the end your feeling the heat a little.

I'm your density
    I work a few miles from Ballast Point and went to their homebrewmart / tasting room last year when this and other spicy styles were on the board (incl. Indra Kunindra, a curry-cayenne stout). I like (love) BP brews and spicy food too, and the samples were tasty, but I couldn't do pints of these styles.
    "Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left."
    — Ty Webb

PRETENDURO
    I am a fanatic of hot chile peppers (have been using hot sauce and chile peppers since I was a wee lad back in the late 1970s), especially red savina habañeros as well as ghost chile peppers (naga jolokia), but cannot imagine it tasting good in beer. I’d have to try a glass first however to decide though.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Chili pepper brews are awesome. Surprisingly refreshing, but with a spicy heat. I can't drink a ton of it, but a glass here and there is great.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

mtbr member
    I've tried most of the ballast pt chili/pepper brews. They are good for a taster but most of them have been strong enough they ruin the taste of the beer (and that of any tasters you do after). I'm all for experimentation but I really don't think this really helps make the beer better.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    I've tried most of the ballast pt chili/pepper brews. They are good for a taster but most of them have been strong enough they ruin the taste of the beer (and that of any tasters you do after). I'm all for experimentation but I really don't think this really helps make the beer better.
    I guess you have to be a fan of Chilies and spicy foods. I like the heat and the flavor the chili peppers add to the brew. I'm a big fan of Billy's Chilies as well.

mtbr member

Habanero Sculpin IPA

Stone has a smoked chipotle pepper version of their porter. The earthiness of the chipotles compliments the porter nicely. Very low heat level.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

Afric Pepperbird
    I'd love to try this!

Can anyone compare this to Calapooia Brewing's Chili beer, even though it's not made with habaneros... but rather Anaheim, Serrano, and Jalapeno peppers?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    As a huge local Sculpin fan, I wasn't too impressed. I like the fact that they went for something exotic but it's just not my thing. On a side note, the Fathom IPL they just put out is pretty good.