Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Guinness disapointment

Was in Ireland 2 weeks ago, I kept hearing how the Guinness in Ireland is so much better because your getting the freshest Guinness in the world. Well guess what! it tastes exactly the same as it does here anywhere else. Tastes good, nothing wrong, just exactly the same. So if anyone is heading to Ireland hoping to be in for a treat when sipping a pint of Guinness, I suggest you focus your enthusiasm on exploring the beautiful country because the Guinness in Ireland is the exact same taste as it is anywhere else in the world.
    Last edited by Rocky Urban; 08-05-2012 at 08:17 AM. Reason: forgot something

mtbr member
    Are you sure you sampled enough? I have heard that it takes lots of samples when in Ireland, to really get the best flavors in Guinness.
    Ski Good or Eat Wood

PRETENDURO
    The Guiness Stout that is brewed in Kenya (by Kenya Breweries Ltd under license from Guiness) is really dark strong stuff. The ABV is 7%, and it is much darker and better tasting than the stuff in the UK/Ireland/etc., and of course is better than the U.S. export stuff. I found this out on my last trip to Kenya back in 2010.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    There's loads of different guiness available depending where you are. IIRC we get raught; Draught Ice; Canned Draugt; Canned Original(my favourite); Bottled Stout.

The draught In Belfast is much better than that at my local, but the taste also depends a hell of a lot on the pourer as well, it must never be pulled in one go.

mtbr member
    you know rocky urban, you have a good amount of disappointment in your life.....first it is 29er's and now it is Guinness.... Maybe you should stop while your ahead
    A person who never made a mistake,
    never tried anything new..... Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky Urban View Post
    Was in Ireland 2 weeks ago, I kept hearing how the Guinness in Ireland is so much better because your getting the freshest Guinness in the world. Well guess what! it tastes exactly the same as it does here anywhere else. Tastes good, nothing wrong, just exactly the same. So if anyone is heading to Ireland hoping to be in for a treat when sipping a pint of Guinness, I suggest you focus your enthusiasm on exploring the beautiful country because the Guinness in Ireland is the exact same taste as it is anywhere else in the world.
    Thanks, no need to go to Ireland now. Lol

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    The Guiness Stout that is brewed in Kenya (by Kenya Breweries Ltd under license from Guiness) is really dark strong stuff. The ABV is 7%, and it is much darker and better tasting than the stuff in the UK/Ireland/etc., and of course is better than the U.S. export stuff. I found this out on my last trip to Kenya back in 2010.
    I always thought that Guinness was brewed only in Ireland and nowhere else in the world. Are you sure that was real Guinness? Perhaps some African counterfeit version?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by blumena84 View Post
    you know rocky urban, you have a good amount of disappointment in your life.....first it is 29er's and now it is Guinness.... Maybe you should stop while your ahead
    The fact I don't need a job (I own 8 income properties) is satisfaction enough for me, and it allows me to travel when ever the mood arises (also very satisfying). Now get back to work!

mtbr member extraordinair
    Guinness sold in the US is imported from Ireland, and thus you will likely find it tastes the same over there, maybe a slight bit fresher. Other countries brew it locally or import it from somewhere other than Ireland, and they are the ones that usually comment on it tasting better in Ireland. The Guinness Extra Stout is brewed and imported from Canada. When I was in Ireland a few years ago, I did not have a bad pint of Guinness, despite my best effort
    Grit, spit, and a whole lot of duct tape!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I don't know guys. Guinness had been my favorite beer for 40 years. (I even had a dog named Guinness) but the last couple years either my taste changed or they did cause it isn't even in my top 10 now.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Three words:

Foreign
    Extra
    Stout

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Snosaw View Post
    Are you sure you sampled enough? I have heard that it takes lots of samples when in Ireland, to really get the best flavors in Guinness.
    This.

You need to sample more. And try drinking it both before and after fresh Jameson samples to see the way the two really compliment each other. Then mix a little jameson in with Baileys and try pouring that into a fresh pint and seeing how it feels and tastes going down.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    bad kittykat.

never soil the guinness

well done for not using 'that' name for the cocktail.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gavinda View Post
    bad kittykat.

never soil the guinness

well done for not using 'that' name for the cocktail.
    No love for beer cocktails? Or cooking with beer? Great cocktails and recipes require quality ingredients.

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky Urban View Post
    Perhaps some African counterfeit version?
    Nope, you’re thinking of the Nigerians— counterfeiting, 419 scams, etc.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

Beer Please!
    When in Scotland 5 years ago I had plenty of Guinness as well as a good amount of local craft brews. If the draft Guinness tasted different there than from in the US I could not tell, and I had it more than once in more than one pub. I think at best it might taste fresher, but it IS the same recipe whether you drinking it there or here.

I think the whole idea of it tasting better IN Ireland has more to do with ambiance than flavor. Most food taste better while on vacation.
    telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by GTscoob View Post
    No love for beer cocktails? Or cooking with beer? Great cocktails and recipes require quality ingredients.
    I,m just a dirty hypocrite

I did a job for a friend and got paid with 12 liters of guinness, so last night I used up the last of my scrumpy and made the poor mans black velvet. smashed

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MotoDC View Post
    Three words:

Foreign
    Extra
    Stout
    I thoroughly enjoy this brew.
    Ride Bikes
    Drink Beer

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I visited Ireland this past summer and I am an avid guinness fan, I can tell you the difference is subtle but it is certainly better. I have been told by several people that in order to travel overseas, it has to be pasteurized which degrades the smoothness. Second, I have yet to find anywhere in my area that has a proper guinness tap. The concept behind the sprinkler head and the two way tap that allows you to PROPERLY pour it makes the biggest difference in my opinion. Every time I get a guinness in the states they just put the glass under the tap and fill and let it settle. Did you do the brewery tour? Lots of good info. Again, the difference is probably less than what you were expecting but it is absolutely better.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    thats the nail whacked on the head dude. its in the pour and how often its poured. the 'travel' issue i feel is maybe a little purist as we have ubs local to us that are night and day with the guiness. same guiness, different barman. its amazing the difference.

and forget about guiness 'ice'

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Guinness is sour brown water no matter where you drink it

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Guiness sucks here in the States. It'd have to be waaaaaaaay better over there for it to even taste OK. I'm serious, I hate Guiness.

But I do like Stouts. My favorite is Lion Stout. Once I had one Lion Stout I tried to drink another Guiness and poured it out after one sip. And that was the last one.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Never mind.

FX4
    mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Man I don't know what to say to this post. I have had Guiness in Ireland and it is definitely a better than we get in the U.S.. It's rich and creamy. If you were looking for it to be bitter or like an American stout, it's not. It's just a much better version of what we get here in the U.S..

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Dasanii19 View Post
    Thanks, no need to go to Ireland now. Lol
    haha same here

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast