mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Growing Barley For Home Brewing

Hello is anybody growing any barley or hops, I am studying urban teraforming and self sufficiency and was wondering if anybody has any experience they could enlighten me with.
    cheers
    Johnny
    Local Bicycle Trader

I'm a unitard!
    Haven't grown it, but you would have to find a good way to malt it to be able to use it. That is probably why a lot of people grow hops but not barley for homebrewing.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

You'll need...

Quote Originally Posted by johnnymiller
    Hello is anybody growing any barley or hops, I am studying urban teraforming and self sufficiency and was wondering if anybody has any experience they could enlighten me with.
    Any brewer's that I know that tried to grow and malt barley only did it one time. All reported too much work for not enough return.

I don't know if this helps, but.... you'll need quite a bit of space. Growing and malting are space intensive. Probably why large malt houses are in ID and MT....

Good luck - sounds like quite a project. Hope you can make it work!
    I was gonna stop by and see you, but the Jehovas witnesses came by. When they left I started drinking. Voicemail from Paul

Bikecurious
    Aug 2007
    I've considered it as well, but you do need a fair amount to make it worthwhile. Probably be better off growing hops and adjuncts. You can grow hops in a pot if you want, so don't need a lot of space. I was thinking about doing that this year, but I think its a bit late in the season at this point. Depending on where you live you might be able to find some local farmers that grow grains that will work, so although you aren't growing them yourself, you're at least keeping it local.
    Howdy Doody's past the House of Aquarius

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by g-bus
    You can grow hops in a pot if you want, so don't need a lot of space..
    I have one hop plant that currently has 6 bines growing up strings that are 10 feet long, and now I really need to find a way to lengthen the strings that end at my roof.

I also had to transplant a hop plant this spring, that one plant had rhizomes/roots that covered a 3 by 2 foot square piece of land. It was only 3 years old.

So anyways, hops do need a lot of space, both underground and above!

But they require very very little work once they are established, which is nice. And you can separate the rhizomes every few years and spread them out for more plants or sell them to others who want to grow them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Home grown hops are fairly common. However, you won't know what their alpha acid percentage is so they're best used for aroma rather than bittering. Getting enough Barley to make it worthwhile would take quite a few acres of land and the malting process, while not particularly difficult, requires a lot of space and can't really be accomplished at home.