• 09-13-2012
    row-z
    Great American Beer Festival
    The countdown is starting....in less then 1 month I will be heading out to Denver for the GABF. :thumbsup:

    Not just attending the event but actually working it with a couple co-workers. We will be working 3 shifts and then on the last day after our shift we get to be the "customer".

    I'm pretty excited to see/sample all the different beers from around the country.

    Anyone else going or have been to one in the past??
  • 09-13-2012
    justbike
    Sounds like fun
  • 09-13-2012
    Carl Hungus
    Where do you work row-z?
  • 09-13-2012
    row-z
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Carl Hungus View Post
    Where do you work row-z?

    I work for a used College Textbook wholesaler....we are able to work at the festival because one of my co-workers is good friends with a person that is in charge of the workers for the event and they asked us to help, so my current job had nothing to do with me getting into the event other than knowing someone who knew someone else...lol.....I'd love to have a job in the beer industry :thumbsup:
  • 09-14-2012
    bipolarbear
    I'll be there. Tenth year in a row this year!
  • 09-14-2012
    row-z
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by bipolarbear View Post
    I'll be there. Tenth year in a row this year!

    What day are you going...and how is it? I know we are working Thursday, Friday and Saturday morning and the will attend after our morning shift.
  • 09-14-2012
    Guerdonian
    I will be there Thursday evening. What booth are you working that day row-z? do you know?

    This will be my second attendance, and I hope it will be better than the first.
  • 09-14-2012
    row-z
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Guerdonian View Post
    I will be there Thursday evening. What booth are you working that day row-z? do you know?

    This will be my second attendance, and I hope it will be better than the first.

    As of now we just got the shifts that we are working and I know we are working pouring the samples, but as of now I think it will be one of 3 regions, either the Pacific Northwest, The Colorado area, and one more (thinking it might be Hawaii etc)
  • 09-14-2012
    Guerdonian
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by row-z View Post
    As of now we just got the shifts that we are working and I know we are working puring the samples, but as of now I think it will be one of 3 regions, either the Pacific Northwest, The Colorado area, and one more (thinking it might be Hawaii etc)

    One of my major complaints from 2 years ago, was many of the pourers had no idea what they were serving. Please Please Please, try the beers that your serving, and try to at least learn enough about them to know style, basic flavors, etc...

    1/2 of the time i asked a server something basic like "is this a porter or a stout?" or "is there orange peel in this, it tastes just like it?" i was met with a deer in headlights look.

    My first experience was on a Sat. night, which was when the drinking crowd comes out, and its chaos inside, so i don't blame the servers, and I am going to give the experience another try on a milder night.
  • 09-14-2012
    JFryauff
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Guerdonian View Post
    One of my major complaints from 2 years ago, was many of the pourers had no idea what they were serving. Please Please Please, try the beers that your serving, and try to at least learn enough about them to know style, basic flavors, etc...

    1/2 of the time i asked a server something basic like "is this a porter or a stout?" or "is there orange peel in this, it tastes just like it?" i was met with a deer in headlights look.

    My first experience was on a Sat. night, which was when the drinking crowd comes out, and its chaos inside, so i don't blame the servers, and I am going to give the experience another try on a milder night.

    Great advice for the GABF, or any beer festival volunteer for that matter!
  • 09-14-2012
    row-z
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Guerdonian View Post
    One of my major complaints from 2 years ago, was many of the pourers had no idea what they were serving. Please Please Please, try the beers that your serving, and try to at least learn enough about them to know style, basic flavors, etc...

    1/2 of the time i asked a server something basic like "is this a porter or a stout?" or "is there orange peel in this, it tastes just like it?" i was met with a deer in headlights look.

    My first experience was on a Sat. night, which was when the drinking crowd comes out, and its chaos inside, so i don't blame the servers, and I am going to give the experience another try on a milder night.

    Awesome info right there....I know a little about beers but will admit I don't know a ton, but I think the good part is they have us working the same booth all three days and you get a little crash course before your first shift and hopefully as the event goes on I will learn more
  • 09-15-2012
    bipolarbear
    They are actually encouraging brewery reps to occupy their tents and educate their vollys this year because that was one of the #1 complaints in a survey.

    I'll be there for all sessions. It's my yearly marathon for my liver. Gotta get it in shape for ski season.
  • 09-17-2012
    Guerdonian
    ^^^ Good to hear,

    Bipolar are you working? or just there for the booze and revelry.
  • 09-17-2012
    bipolarbear
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Guerdonian View Post
    ^^^ Good to hear,

    Bipolar are you working? or just there for the booze and revelry.

    Both actually.
  • 09-18-2012
    hydromaddicted
    I will be there its my 15th year going and first time with Schooners Grille and Brewery wish us luck we are in the competition. Come by our booth for a taste I will be in the pacific section.
  • 09-18-2012
    MTBNate
    We're in for Thur eve.

    I can bring NM brews if you get your orders in:

    La Cumbre Brewing Co
    Marble Breweing Co
    Santa Fe Brewing Co
  • 09-19-2012
    MTBNate
    We'll also be at Falling Rock a bit as well.

    Can't miss this Falling Rock Special Tap:
    Oskar Blues (Longmont, CO) - Come try out a trio of barrel aged Beers from Oskar Blues, Ten-Fidy aged in a Beam Barrel, Gubna aged in a Wild Turkey Barrel, & Chub Aged in an Austin Nichols Barrel

    **edit**

    and in for these:
    Cigar City (Tampa, FL) - Oatmeal Raisin Cookie, Humidor IPA, Good Gourd, Apple Brandy Barrel Aged Hunahpu’s, Cucumber Saison
  • 10-01-2012
    MTBNate
    Just downloaded the GABF app. Greatly improved over last year. Can't wait for next Thur!
  • 10-02-2012
    RichardinLA
    I've been in FL for ~ 5 months. What a culture/climate shock. Recently finished up a brewery tour of Cigar City.

    They make pretty good beers. Oatmeal raisin cookie is worth a taste just for it's uniqueness. Tastes just like the cookie. Good Gourd is a quality pumpkin-spice ale - if you can get it on nitro it almost tastes like pumpkin pie with a dollop of whipped cream. The barrel aged Hanahpu should be the first one you try - it gets rave reviews. I would pass on the cucumber saison and IPA - they are OK, but not top examples.

    I'll be back in NM ~ Aug '13. I am already planning on the 2013 GABF.


    Quote:

    Originally Posted by MTBNate View Post
    We'll also be at Falling Rock a bit as well.

    Can't miss this Falling Rock Special Tap:
    Oskar Blues (Longmont, CO) - Come try out a trio of barrel aged Beers from Oskar Blues, Ten-Fidy aged in a Beam Barrel, Gubna aged in a Wild Turkey Barrel, & Chub Aged in an Austin Nichols Barrel

    **edit**

    and in for these:
    Cigar City (Tampa, FL) - Oatmeal Raisin Cookie, Humidor IPA, Good Gourd, Apple Brandy Barrel Aged Hunahpu’s, Cucumber Saison

  • 10-03-2012
    bipolarbear
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by MTBNate View Post
    Just downloaded the GABF app. Greatly improved over last year. Can't wait for next Thur!

    Where did you find the app? Do they have a DROID app?
  • 10-03-2012
    MTBNate
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by bipolarbear View Post
    Where did you find the app? Do they have a DROID app?

    It's in the Apple App Store, donno if its android friendly
  • 10-03-2012
    row-z
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by MTBNate View Post
    It's in the Apple App Store, donno if its android friendly

    I downloaded it a week or so ago and it is a really cool app. It will make it easy to track the beers that you try and also the map of the floor showing where each region is located is a nice feature....since I will be working the first 3 shifts I'm hoping I can scope out the ones I really want to hit.

    I did find out me and my friends will be working at one of the Rocky Mtn booths.
  • 10-03-2012
    MTBNate
    Edit:

    Cheers!
  • 10-04-2012
    bipolarbear
    Here's a link for anyone interested in the app for Iphone or Android:
    Mobile App Back and Better Than Ever « Great American Beer Festival

    Now let's just see how it works in the dead zone that is the convention center.
  • 10-11-2012
    Guerdonian
    Heading down to Denver in 30min, Ill be wearing a khaki New Belgium driving cap, jeans, beard, glasses, and the eye patch (well not the eye patch). Maybe see a couple of you there. I respond to the following names:

    Jon
    Guerdonian
    Sexy Pants