Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Robtre

Gotta cut back I guess....

I love beer. My wife loves beer. My friends love beer. My parents love beer. Every day do I have the opportunity to drink beer with people I care about. Sounds great right? Not lately. I turned 36 this year and I feel like I am on the slide big time with my health. My biggest concern for the last 3 months has been Meniere's Disease. I went to a doctor when the symptoms first came about and I was treated for an inner ear infection with no success. Soon after I sought treatment from an ENT doc who also wanted to treat me for deep sinus infection and possibly a lingering inner ear infection. Still no luck. I have been reading as much as possible about Meniere's and one of the main triggers is alcohol and more specific: Beer. Dammit. The biggest symptom of Meniere's I experience is the dizzy vertigo symptom. Its never predictable and when it strikes I cant walk straight, I cant focus on anything and I damn sure can't pedal my bike. I can't live like this anymore I'm going nuts. So therefore I am going to part ways with my old friend;beer. Not forever, unless of course I make some miraculous recovery. I don't really care for booze, and wine no matter what the pedigree gives me a headache. At this point I really don't know what else to do. This weekend is NFL playoffs and I will be sober. I am going to give it a month and see if my symptoms improve. February I will come back with hopefully some results.
    -rides bikes for fun.

Paper Mill Aleworks
    Should have listened to TL1!

Seriously though...
    Assuming it doesn't have some sort of metaphysical hold on your life, your health is much more important, and forgoing something in lieu of a better way of life should not be a difficult thing.
    If I had an ailment in which alcohol of any type heightened the symptoms or hindered a healing process, I'd have no issues giving it up.
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Winston Churchill

Beer Please!
    Sorry to hear that man, and ditto to what Frauff said, health first, hobbies second.

Do you have any beer you want to give away to a good cause?
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Good luck, man. It's going to be tough given that your family is also accustomed to drinking beer. Specifically discussing with your wife what actions she can take to support you in this will go a long way to your success.

Hi.
    Damn man, tough break. Seriously, drop the beer and focus on your health. Meniere's is often a by-product or co-morbitidy of another underlying disease. Get yourself checked out fully and make sure you have nothing going on, then you can figure out how to best reduce your symptoms.

Good luck, and don't look back!

(not that fast)
    cutting back is never a bad idea and while I only play a doctor on the internet, have you considered that you may just be experiencing vertigo? I had it a while back, really scary stuff, went to a physical therapist and it was gone the same day. Some exercises she did:
    Epley maneuver - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

whatever happens, good luck.

mtbr member
    Eliminating beer for the near term isn’t the worse case. Loss of weight and increase in general health are positive as well as improved endurance, not to mention performance in mt biking. Sorry to hear of your issues…been through some of my own. Definitely makes you appreciate what you do have and realize how lucky we are to be as healthy as we are.

Make sure to get a diagnosis done correctly. As with most diseases there are classic symptoms that are believed to be associated with its occurrence. Modern medicine is better at eliminating certain medical diagnosis rather than pin pointing to a certin particular issue. One thing is patients are too often either afraid to seek additional diagnosis from other physicians or don’t think about it. No one doc knows all and keep the search to make sure you have the correct diagnosis. The earlier things can be diagnosed correctly the higher the ability to minimize the effects or even “cure” from it by minimizing detrimental aspects.
    Quote Originally Posted by k1creeker View Post
    "yeah, she's fat, but you'd take her for a ride."

mtbr member
    Sorry to hear man. Odd, but my father was just diagnosed with Meniere's a couple of months ago. Incapacitating vertigo came at seemingly random times and lasted for days. Also took well over a year to diagnose as it is uncommon.

I don't believe there is a treatment so to speak, although we we're told episodes should become less frequent over time.

Hadn't heard of an alcohol ban recommended for him, and he continues to imbibe from time to time.

Wishing you health and luck man.

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by JFryauff View Post
    Should have listened to TL1!
    I know you are joking but please do not feed the trolls....especially that one.

Sorry to hear about your problems.
    It sucks, I need to cut back too but just because with the lack of riding, over eating, extra drinking over the last few months I put on a little extra cushion. lol

Hope things work out for you.

Beer Please!
    Quote Originally Posted by phlegm View Post
    Sorry to hear man. Odd, but my father was just diagnosed with Meniere's a couple of months ago. Incapacitating vertigo came at seemingly random times and lasted for days. Also took well over a year to diagnose as it is uncommon.

I don't believe there is a treatment so to speak, although we we're told episodes should become less frequent over time.

Hadn't heard of an alcohol ban recommended for him, and he continues to imbibe from time to time.

Wishing you health and luck man.
    A friend of mine has it and was able to identify sodium as his source of trouble, by lowering his sodium intake he has less vertigo attacks.

It might not be beer......

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    So sorry to hear this... my Paw paw has Menier's Disease and his "spells" are really really bad. Like Klurejr said though, his was tied to sodium intake, and they have it pretty well under control.

That said, he has never drank at all, so not sure giving up the beer will help.

Best of luck. At the end of the day... like the others said. Healthy over hobbies.

Clyde on a mission!
    Dec 2011
    I really like beer too, but giving it up isn't that bad.

Roughly 10 years ago I started getting hung over on ONE beer, I kid you not. Not sure what the hell happened. I could be sitting with friends, watching a game, having ONE single beer, not getting the least bit drunk, get home, go to bed at decent hours and wake up the next day all queasy and tired. Not a real bad hangover, but my stomach upset, my whole body feeling tired, slight hint of a head ache, a mild hangover from ONE beer, what the hey??!?

I started experimenting with different types of beer, but they all left me knackered and tired the day after.

It got to the point where I stopped drinking beer altogether. Sure a beer with dinner or watching a good movie was nice, but not worth the hangover-like symptoms the next day. Once or twice a year I would go crazy at parties and get hammered, but the rest of the time it was zero beers for me.

These days I don't get hangovers from a single beer anymore, so once in a while I have one with dinner or on a hot afternoon in the garden. Still drains my energy the day after though, having a beer means that I'm pretty much destined to spend the next day napping on the couch.

Beer really doesn't do any good for you, except taste good and give a bit of a buzz. Your body hates you for it and once you give it up you'll find yourself with a lot more energy on a daily basis. Beer is poison, sweet, sweet poison..

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandrenseren View Post

Beer really doesn't do any good for you,
    BLASPHEMY!

First Google search to pop up.

10 Surprising Health Benefits of Beer | Yahoo! Health

Robtre
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    Sorry to hear that man, and ditto to what Frauff said, health first, hobbies second.

Do you have any beer you want to give away to a good cause?
    Now that is funny! You will have to wrastle it out of my wifes possession!
    -rides bikes for fun.

Robtre
    Quote Originally Posted by fastale View Post
    cutting back is never a bad idea and while I only play a doctor on the internet, have you considered that you may just be experiencing vertigo? I had it a while back, really scary stuff, went to a physical therapist and it was gone the same day. Some exercises she did:
    Epley maneuver - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

whatever happens, good luck.
    I did do this, as well as the Semont method. The ENT doc did it in his office and I youtubed it at home and tried to replicate. No such luck.
    -rides bikes for fun.

Robtre
    From what I have read there are 5 common triggers for Meneiere's:
    Stress
    Allergies
    Infections such as but limited to Sinus / Inner ear
    Head trauma
    Alcohol

I have eliminated stress and head trauma and cutting out alcohol I think over a few weeks will be enough time to scratch that off my list. I am taking a strong anti-biotic to battle infection. I do have what I call "the snots" this time of year when its colder. That could be attributed to allergies and or infection. When I ride my nose runs badly and I hack up crap too.

The salt thing I haven't heard of but easy to try and eliminate. I eat pretty well but I will focus on that for the next couple weeks. Thanks for all the advice here fellas.
    -rides bikes for fun.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Sorry to hear it. My brother has Meniere's pretty bad.
    It's a strange disease, often un- or mis-diagnosed.

For him, stress was by far the biggest factor.
    After that it was changes in weather. His symptoms were really bad- debilitating even. He does drink a lot (loves big Belgians and Impy Stouts) - and has not given it up.
    Now that he's retired, his stress level is waaaaay better and he's only had a couple of "episodes".
    Good luck!

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
    Man that's rough. Good luck! Hope you can get back to enjoying some cold ones with no repercussions soon!

mtbr member
    I recently watched an interview where singer/songwrite Ryan Adams (not Bryan) talks about Meneire's and how he has coped with it using a holistic approach. Might be of benefit to you or might not but here is the link. Restless music explorer Ryan Adams in Studio Q - YouTube

Robtre
    Quote Originally Posted by RRRoubaix View Post
    Sorry to hear it. My brother has Meniere's pretty bad.
    It's a strange disease, often un- or mis-diagnosed.

For him, stress was by far the biggest factor.
    After that it was changes in weather. His symptoms were really bad- debilitating even. He does drink a lot (loves big Belgians and Impy Stouts) - and has not given it up.
    Now that he's retired, his stress level is waaaaay better and he's only had a couple of "episodes".
    Good luck!
    Trust me I hope to eliminate beer as a trigger for Meniere's because I would love to get back to my long lustfull relationship with Beer! I thought I would struggle with it but I don't really. The hardest to turn away from is the beer after work when I get home! I don't really feel like I have over-abundant stress.
    -rides bikes for fun.

Beer Me!
    This is really interesting. Please keep us informed of your progress.

I have gotten dizzy/foggy headed for the past 3 years around November through mid January. Only occured since I have moved to Colorado, my asthma gets worse at the same time, and its gone away for the rest of the year each time. My Point is, I whole heatedly feel for ya, the vertigo feeling is not comfortable at all. I have tried herbs, acupuncture, cutting back drinking, drinking more water, and focusing on continuing to keeping my fitness through the winter months (all at the same time). No idea which of the many things I have changed has helped, but this year was better than the prior.
    Do you think you need to quite cold turkey? what about one 12oz fancy beer on a Saterday?
    My Bike: FORM Cycles Titanium Prevail 29er

"Any wheel size is better than sitting at a computer all day." -Myself

Robtre
    Quote Originally Posted by Guerdonian View Post
    This is really interesting. Please keep us informed of your progress.

Do you think you need to quite cold turkey? what about one 12oz fancy beer on a Saterday?
    Doubt it, but for now yes probably a month or two. Then I am on to isolating allergies. Mine started right when the seasons changed, so I am hopeful thats my problem.
    -rides bikes for fun.

Beer Please!
    My hope is that you find stopping beer does not fix your problems so you can start drinking it again and find something else to rule out. Not that I want you to suffer......

Robtre
    Good news and Bad news (maybe). I not had a beer in 5 days and my symptoms have subsided. Today I went for my first "dizzy-free" mountain bike ride in 3 months or so. I rode hard to with my friend who cranks pretty tough so I am encouraged. Bad news is well I havent had a beer in 5 days which once seemed to be an eternity. I finished my antibiotic and fell less snotty. I do still have the ear pressure and ear ringing though mostly in the morning and tapers off as the day goes.
    -rides bikes for fun.

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by robtre View Post
    Good news and Bad news (maybe). I not had a beer in 5 days and my symptoms have subsided. Today I went for my first "dizzy-free" mountain bike ride in 3 months or so. I rode hard to with my friend who cranks pretty tough so I am encouraged. Bad news is well I havent had a beer in 5 days which once seemed to be an eternity. I finished my antibiotic and fell less snotty. I do still have the ear pressure and ear ringing though mostly in the morning and tapers off as the day goes.
    Good news man! At least the by-product of preventing Meniere's-related attacks is living a longer, healthier life .

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast