Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Goose Island...

mtbr member

Goose Island...

Beer Pairing Event featuring Goose Island today at Wegmans.....stopped in for a late lunch after the Trexler Town Velodrome Bike Event today.....couldn't believe our luck at finding the Beer Event...pretty amazing stuff....they featured the following:
    Sophie
    Matilda
    Honkers Ale
    312 Urban Wheat Ale
    Pere Jacques
    Pepe Nero
    There are two paths you can go by but in the long run........

Rogue Exterminator
    Their Country Bourbon Stout is one of my favorites.

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    Their Country Bourbon Stout is one of my favorites.
    Yes, that is the only one Iíve tasted from them, and itís one of my favourites. Good schtuff!
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

Beer Me!
    Goose Island will become more and more available. They are increasing the production of their flagship beers at Anheuser Busch facilities now.

I do enjoy matilda quite a bit, and find Pepe Niro also very nice.
    My Bike: FORM Cycles Titanium Prevail 29er

"Any wheel size is better than sitting at a computer all day." -Myself

Beer Me!
    FYI, they won Gold in the IPA category at GABF. One of the most contested categories in the event. They were also one of the more popular booths.

Good for them.
    My Bike: FORM Cycles Titanium Prevail 29er

"Any wheel size is better than sitting at a computer all day." -Myself

Hillbilly
    Goose Island is a fantastic brewery, you're safe buying any one of their beers. I've been trying to get my hands on one of their barleywines for a couple years now, looks like I'm going to have to trade for some.

hold my beer & watch this
    Jan 2007
    Goose Island is good stuff - before it was available in Memphis I used to bring it home in my carry on bag (pre 9-11 of course)
    We have it everywhere down here now - life is good
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
    -- Robert Heinlein --

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    The only ones we've been getting here is the 312, IPA and Honkers. The Honkers is the only one I really like so far. 312 I was expecting more heffeweis, but wasn't so much so I was bummed. I was never a big fan of IPAs so it was an uphill battle for that one.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    So i found a bottle of the 2013 Bourbon County barrel stout today. Man is it good. I haven't had much luck with barrel aged stuff either. I would love to try one of these with some age on it, but I don't think I could hold onto a beer for a year or two. I'd been skeptical about Goose Island for the past 10 years because I lived in Chicago when I first discovered GI, and all the bars had Honker's and that 312 Wheat. I don't like either of those at all, so that was my impression of the brewery. This Christmas I had their holiday ale and enjoyed it a lot, and now this Bourbon County stout. I'll be quicker to experiment with them from now on.
    Noogie...Noogie...Noogie.

Rogue Exterminator
    If you like the GI bourbon stout try KBS by Founders brewery when it comes out. Every bit as good if not better.

And don't look for "barrel aged", look for "bourbon (or whiskey) barrel aged". There is a huge difference.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Hope

At $27/4 pax, I wish the BourbonStouts are more affordable.

14.2% ABV, OMG.

Delicious it is.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I used to work at one of the Goose Island microbrewery locations before they got bought by Anheuser Busch. Great place to work and great beer. Their Bourbon Stout is killer as is their IPA. They used to do an Imperial Stout that was like magic in a glass. Only available as a seasonal, but thick like oil in a glass and really high in alcohol content. Made for truly monumental and horrendous two day hangovers.

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by starkm32 View Post

14.2% ABV, OMG.

Delicious it is.
    KBS is a little cheaper (at least where I am). Usually $20 a 4pk.
    Goose Island has never been available where I am until last year and I have never seen their BCS here. Only ordered it online and also got it as a gift once. So I can't compare the local price.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Imperial Stout! if it is anything like their Bourbon,
    "Will work for Imperial Stout!".

Gotta be a squeaky wheel, & get my local packy to Carry it. Yum.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    KBS is a little cheaper (at least where I am). Usually $20 a 4pk.
    Goose Island has never been available where I am until last year and I have never seen their BCS here. Only ordered it online and also got it as a gift once. So I can't compare the local price.
    I paid $4.50 for the bottle of GI Bourbon Stout. Sounds like I got a great deal. Best go back and buy a few more. I figure at 14.4 abv I'm essentially getting two bottles of 7.2 beer. We don't get Founder's in Oregon. I've had the regular Founder's breakfast stout. If I ever see KBS, I'm buying it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Chatted up the local packy. Seems he DID have the GI Imperial, but is out of it.

Does stock the GI 3 Craft Ales 12 pax.

Honker's. Ten Hills. IPA.

They were OK, average ( could be, because they were "Brewed and Bottled" by GI, in "Baldwinsville, NY". Go figure. ).

Perhaps I had too high an expectation after slurping up the Bourbon Stout....

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Perhaps I had too high an expectation after slurping up the Bourbon Stout....
    I've read many times that the best GI stuff is all specialty...like the Bourbon County varieties and some of the special Belgian attempts. The regular GI stuff is pretty pedestrian in my experience.

Beer Please!

14.2% ABV, OMG.

Delicious it is.
    wow, that is cheap. the GI Bourbon County goes for $14.00 per bottle in SoCal.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    wow, that is cheap. the GI Bourbon County goes for $14.00 per bottle in SoCal.
    His $27 a 4pk is for 12oz bottles.
    I am guessing your $14 a bottle is for 22oz bottles which put them very close in price.

If it is $14 for a 12oz bottle then I would say it is a damn good beer but not that damn good.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    My 2Ę, as well.

For the $16 shelled out for the " Classics", aye couda have my daily ( liquid ) bread in 2 ( two! ) yummy Bourbon Stouts......

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I am guessing your $14 a bottle is for 22oz bottles which put them very close in price.
    Yeah, I'm paying $4.50 for a 12 oz. bottle. Just went and bought 3 more today!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Cheers!

On a positive note, we can get a 4 pax of Resin (9.1 ABU) from Six Point Brewery (Brooklyn) here in Taxachusetts for a mere $9.99! Hi Res (11.1 ABU) for a tad more, $11.99.

Let it flow!

Beer Please!

If it is $14 for a 12oz bottle then I would say it is a damn good beer but not that damn good.
    $14.00 for a 12oz bottle.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    $14.00 for a 12oz bottle.
    Sounds like you've got too much of a supply of beer snobs in your area because the demand has really driven prices up.

Edit: Is that for the 2013? I could see it if you were buying earlier years.

Beer Please!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow Danger View Post
    Sounds like you've got too much of a supply of beer snobs in your area because the demand has really driven prices up.

Edit: Is that for the 2013? I could see it if you were buying earlier years.
    I am pretty sure, yeah. I will have to check when I get home and see if there is still a price tag on the bottle. But yes, there are a number of Craft Beer lovers and bottle collectors here in San Diego, so when stuff like this hits the shelves it goes quick.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast