mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Gluten Free Beer?

Greetings,

Anyone know of any decent tasting ones? A friend of mine is now on this path and we could find about 10 online and all seemed to be imported?

many thanks!

dirtbag
    Omission beer -THE best gluten free beer.
    Amolan

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I've had one called "redbridge" that isn't horrible. It's not that good either when compared to regular beer, but I'm lucky enough to drink regular beer. It's from Annheiser Bush, and I've bought it at grocery stores and gas stations.

Here's a link I found. The Redbridge and New Planet should be available at most liquor stores.

The 14 Best (and Worst) Gluten-Free Beers :: Blogs :: List of the Day :: Paste

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Is your friend Celiac or an allergy like psoriasis? I've gone on a gluten free diet for the latter and it's stopped some plaquing of my skin. The beer part has been trial and error and I've found that non-wheat based beers work well with me.

GF beers are expensive and not that tasty. I was drinking ciders for awhile, so it does take some adjusting and sacrificing. Good luck.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tripnox View Post
    Is your friend Celiac or an allergy like psoriasis?
    This is a very salient point. My wife was preliminarily diagnosed with Celiac, and is awaiting definitive testing, so I've been learning quite a bit about this whole gluten thing...

Omission is the best one I've tried to date, but it's not great. I've tried a number of sorghum based beers and they have left such a nasty after taste that I would completely give up beer if I had Celiac.
    Word on the street is that Guinness, while not certified gluten free, is very low in gluten. But if you've been diagnosed with a colon biopsy as having celiac, I wouldn't chance it. If you're avoiding gluten to alleviate intolerance symptoms, I'd give it a shot on a trial and error basis.

RHRF!
    Been doing GF brews for about 5 years now. Love all the 'Greens' (but so damn expensive!) I also like New Planet Raspberry & Blonde Ale, and I just tried Omission last month - tasty!
    "The secret of joy is the mastery of pain." (Anaïs Nin)

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ranier View Post
    Omission beer -THE best gluten free beer.
    Someone left an Omission IPA in my fridge after a party -- tried it last night for the hell of it, and it was not only drinkable; but actually pretty OK! None of the sorghum-based swill I've had before is even a close second.

It may even be the best of Widmer's current lineup...