Paper Mill Aleworks

Four Decades at Anchor

Mark Carpenter celebrates 40 years of brewing at Anchor, starting in 1971 as a "temporary gig".

Congrats Mark!
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Winston Churchill

mtbr member
    Really well done from a video standpoint. I'd love to see Anchor start putting out a few more seasonals and one offs.

Paper Mill Aleworks
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Hungus View Post
    Really well done from a video standpoint. I'd love to see Anchor start putting out a few more seasonals and one offs.
    Indeed.
    I would love to finally try some "Our Barrel" strong ale as well
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Winston Churchill

Beer Me!
    Isn't Archer owned by Brew Dog now, am i remembering this correctly?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guerdonian View Post
    Isn't Archer owned by Brew Dog now, am i remembering this correctly?
    I don't think they are owned by Brew Dog but rather an ownership group owns both.

Beer Me!
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Hungus View Post
    I don't think they are owned by Brew Dog but rather an ownership group owns both.
    Ahhh, it thought it was something like that. Hopefully it will allow Anchor to spread its wings a bit. Their beer has been good, but i always forget about them, due to lack of new and exciting releases. Anybody had the brown mentioned in the video? i haven't picked it up yet, though i have seen it on the shelf.

mtbr member
    Ahhh, it thought it was something like that. Hopefully it will allow Anchor to spread its wings a bit. Their beer has been good, but i always forget about them, due to lack of new and exciting releases. Anybody had the brown mentioned in the video? i haven't picked it up yet, though i have seen it on the shelf.
    Anchor will always have a special place in my heart because when I first started drinking beer that wasn't housed in a 40 oz. bottle, Anchor Steam, SN Pale, Pete's Wicked and a hand full of others were the only options for "craft" beers at the time. Ironically, I think Anchor is sorta where Sierra Nevada was 5 years ago or so...making dependable, quality beers but kinda resting on their laurels. Over the last five years Sierra has really brought a lot of new and interesting beers to market and I think their "cache" has really risen outside of their local market. I'd love to see Anchor do the same while keeping their traditional lineup.

Like you, I have not had the Brown but I have seen it. Maybe I will give it a try this week.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    That's awesome. Thanks for the post.

Funny how those Anchor products used to seem so esoteric BITD. I guess they actually were, in the context of what was available.

Just had a few Liberty ales yesterday. Thanks, Mark!

mtbr member
    one of my favorite west coast breweries.quality you can always count on. i have never had a bad anchor beer.just waiting for the right time to open.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Four Decades at Anchor-imag0210.jpg  

NONDURO
    I’m just glad they didn’t get bought by Andhowsher Bush, as did the East Bay’s Wizard Brewing Company… man, that was a great brewery, and they had really awesome microbrews…
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Tried their brown last night....you will not be disappointed. It is on par with all of their other offerings, good solid beer.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I guess I take the counter point to this. I love Anchor for consistently great beers, and don't need to be excited by something new. For me, Liberty Ale in a nice glass is what a hoppy beer is supposed to smell and taste like. It's got a beautiful hop aroma that is not out of balance. Anchor Steam is one of the most versatile beers on the market in terms of being food friendly and also appealing to both beer connoisseurs and Budweiser drinkers alike. It's a great keg of beer to get for a party that will have lots of different types of beer drinkers. I could go on about their porter and Christmas Ale, but I'll just leave it at this: I'm OK with Anchor branching out, but I hope they don't change the recipe of their long time brews. Notably, I hope they continue to use whole hops and don't try to cut costs or gain efficiency by using pellets of extracts. There are enough beers out there in the hop wars, imho.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Boognish View Post
    I guess I take the counter point to this. I love Anchor for consistently great beers, and don't need to be excited by something new. For me, Liberty Ale in a nice glass is what a hoppy beer is supposed to smell and taste like. It's got a beautiful hop aroma that is not out of balance. Anchor Steam is one of the most versatile beers on the market in terms of being food friendly and also appealing to both beer connoisseurs and Budweiser drinkers alike. It's a great keg of beer to get for a party that will have lots of different types of beer drinkers. I could go on about their porter and Christmas Ale, but I'll just leave it at this: I'm OK with Anchor branching out, but I hope they don't change the recipe of their long time brews. Notably, I hope they continue to use whole hops and don't try to cut costs or gain efficiency by using pellets of extracts. There are enough beers out there in the hop wars, imho.
    Well said and I agree for the most part. Problem is nowadays, if you don't do something different from time to time you almost get forgotten. From a business standpoint, Anchor has to appeal to the old timers (36, ha!) like me plus the newer craft beer drinkers who don't remember a time when every liquor store didn't have 100+ awesome beers to choose from.

Beer Me!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boognish View Post
    I agree with you and Carl. I am not saying they should discard the classic quality beers they are known for. Anchor Steam, Humming, Liberty, Small, Porter, etc... are all great beers. Just the ocasional new seasonal release, or bomber of somthing will keep my interest, and keep me reaching for their classics. SN, NB, Boston, all have fun limited release special beers that remind me to continue to buy from their brewery. Anchor generally has not.

mtbr member
    I agree with you and Carl. I am not saying they should discard the classic quality beers they are known for. Anchor Steam, Humming, Liberty, Small, Porter, etc... are all great beers. Just the ocasional new seasonal release, or bomber of somthing will keep my interest, and keep me reaching for their classics. SN, NB, Boston, all have fun limited release special beers that remind me to continue to buy from their brewery. Anchor generally has not.
    Yep. Also agree. It seems like a series of barrel aged beers would really suit Anchor well...besides the "Our Barrel Ale" that was previously mentioned. I don't think anyone is expecting Anchor to enter the crazy IBU contest. A nod to SF brewing history would be nice.

I see barrels...
    Attached Images Attached Images