Thread: Floral IPA's?

mtbr member

Floral IPA's?

I'm definitely not somebody that tastes every nuance in a beer, but I've tried a few IPA's that have a more floral hoppy taste than just a flat out bitter taste. These beers also seem to be more cloudy than your average IPA. I like both styles, but the floral IPA's are pure bliss.

A couple examples...

Boneyard RPM and Hop Venom
    Double Mountain Cluster F*ck

Is this due to style, ingredients or a different variety of hops.

I'm also using the term "Floral" due to a lack a better descrition. The beer tastes and smells more like what fresh hops smell like.
    Last edited by OldHouseMan; 08-28-2013 at 02:22 PM.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Oldhouse, I recently had the Saison du buff (sp?) from a partnership between Stone and (I think) 21st Amendment. Floral IPA was my exact reaction to the beer. I liked it a lot. Unfortunately, I didn't answer your question though.
    Noogie...Noogie...Noogie.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Probably a combination of the variety of hops and the timing of the hop additions. In general, the later additions keep more aroma. I would guess a combination of late addition hopping and dry hopping. Dry hopping has a tendency to cloud beer. Dry hopping is just adding hops directly to beer after a majority of fermentation is done.
    I was gonna stop by and see you, but the Jehovas witnesses came by. When they left I started drinking. Voicemail from Paul

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    RPM is in a category by itself. Even people who don't like IPAs like RPM. I have heard that people visiting bars in Portland or Seattle will just turnaround and go elsewhere if a pub doesn't have RPM on tap. I think of it as more ofa citrus flavor
    like grapefruit rather than floral. Its color is indeed unique, almost an unfiltered hazy look like a hef.

I think of Crux's Insider or Lagunitas Maximus as the best examples of a floral hop taste. Both kinds are delicious because there are almost no bitter or malt flavors present. I feel the same way about pale ales and prefer something like Vaporizer to a Mirror Pond for the same reason.

I will definitely try Double Mountains CF because it sounds like your preferences are similar to mine.

BTW...Deschutes is supposed to have fresh hop IPA's on tap starting LaborDay weekend. Fresh Hops and College football (Go Beavs!) make September one of my favorite months.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Weyerbacher Double Simcoe is floral bliss.

mtbr member
    Wet hopped, harvest IPA's are usually a pretty safe bet for this sort of style/taste. Good stuff! Also recommend Odd Sides CPA out of Grand Haven, MI.

OddSide Ales

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Bear Republic Racer 5, like smelling then drinking a cup of Sonoma county wildflowers, fresh from the hillside of Annadel State Park. mmm mmm mmm

mtbr member

Floral IPA's?

Stone Ruination. Big floral aroma.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Zombie dust from Three Floyds is outstanding, not easy to come by though, at least for me. Citra Dog from Thirsty Dog is a pretty good showing if they sell in your area.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I was recently exposed to Odell brewing's IPA. Excellent beer that I would describe as very floral with definite citrus notes.

Scallywag
    Jul 2009
    Deschutes Fresh Squeezed simply incredible, I have stock piled this beer. I think it will be released again thin June.

Fresh Squeezed IPA - India Pale Ale - Deschutes Brewery Beer

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I find white IPA's to often be more floral than 'standard' IPAs - Chainbreaker is tasty though there are some local options here (not distributed outside Vancouver) that kick its butt.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/lostboyscout | www.beerscout.ca
    Knolly Chilcotin | Surly Long Haul Trucker

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Try Diamond Knot IPA from Washington. This is the first beer I think of when I hear the word "floral."

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    This one!! new leader in the clubhouse - wife and I think its similar to Green Flash West Coast IPA which is floral/citrus and not a bitter trail...

I may need to stockpile what I can here in Denver!