mtbr member

Firestone Walker Imperial Stout

Hey,

I just happened to be at Total Wine last night with my buddy who just turned 21 and wanted to see that place for all of its glory!

I walked over the the specialty release section and one of the tags caught my eye. I wanted to get last years Parabola, but nobody in my city had it. This year we have a Total Wine and there it was, but the shelf was empty. I walked up to the guy at the growler fill station and asked him if there were more coming. Sadly he said, "No."... "But I am hiding one behind the counter for myself if you want it."
    Joy filled my heart! Needless to say I am pretty damn excited to try this beast. I am a stout lover and this one has some amazing ratings and reviews.

Anyone else try one? Worth saving and aging or just drink it on a poker night?

Info:
    Firestone Walker Brewing Company - Parabola (Coming April 2013)
    Rating:
    Parabola - Firestone Walker Brewing Co. - Paso Robles, CA - BeerAdvocate
    -Moe

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Re: Firestone Walker Imperial Stout

I am just now finding firestone walker beers here in central Texas. I've only had the wookie Jack and it was awesome. I've been wanting to try that stout but haven't seen it.

Beer Please!
    Parabola is a great beer. I still have two from last year in my collection.
    telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

Hi.
    Drink it fresh, no need to age it. Have fun - you'll be looking for more

whatever she says gueuze.
    Ah yes, Parabola is awesome as well as many of their limited release stuff...i.e. anniversary beers. Locally here in SoCal, you can still find Parabola pretty easy at Whole Foods. Another one to keep an eye out for is the Sucaba (Abacus). It's their limited barleywine. Their invitational is next month, which is sure to have lots of goodies.

NONDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by moefosho View Post
    Firestone Walker Imperial Stout
    If you like barrel-aged barleywines—and can find it—the Firestone Sucaba Barrel-Aged Barleywine is some incredibly delicious stuff! I made the mistake of having only purchased one bottle… only to find out now that it’s sold out everywhere.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Parabola is great fresh or aged. I recently opened one of the first release 2010 bottles I had stored away and it ages exceptionally well. Problem is you only see it once a year. Stock up on it if you can get it and afford it. Occasionally you may find a bottle here or there sitting on a shelf somewhere. Most places allocate one bottle per person but other places you can buy cases of it. I have several bottles of each release. I'm a big fan of Firestone beers. The anniversary beers and the Double Double Barrel Aged are good as well. I look forward to the 2013 release of the Velvet Merkin this fall.

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by ndinh View Post
    Ah yes, Parabola is awesome as well as many of their limited release stuff...i.e. anniversary beers. Locally here in SoCal, you can still find Parabola pretty easy at Whole Foods. Another one to keep an eye out for is the Sucaba (Abacus). It's their limited barleywine. Their invitational is next month, which is sure to have lots of goodies.
    Things are different this year - it's disappearing off shelves all over the state. 2013....

mtbr member
    I am holding on to it until I get my promotion!

mtbr member
    I saw a bottle of Parabola going for $18 in Eugene, OR. this weekend. At another store, I saw a bottle of Sucuba selling for $14. I was kinda tempted because of this thread, but held onto my money.
    You're so cute internet tough guy. Noogie...Noogie...Noogie.

mtbr member
    $18 for parabola is quite a bit of a mark up. I got my promotion. I will be partaking in the beverage tonight!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by moefosho View Post
    $18 for parabola is quite a bit of a mark up. I got my promotion. I will be partaking in the beverage tonight!
    Yeah, I added the price because I'm not sure what the going rate for Parabola is. The store I saw it in was a pub that does package sales. Cool place. Has over 1000 beers, but the mark-up is pretty steep.
    You're so cute internet tough guy. Noogie...Noogie...Noogie.

mtbr member
    I got mine for $13 or $14. At that price, Firestone and Total Wine are both making a profit.