Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

Favorite Winter/Holiday beer of 2012...

So I enjoyed the responses I got to the "Thanksgiving Beer" thread I started. Learned a lot. Now I figure I better see what everybody is drinking this winter holiday season. I've had a few of my holiday standbys so far, including Jubilale, Pyramid Snow Cap for cheap, and Sleigher from Ninkasi. I'm in Oregon, so I mostly know Northwest beers.

My pick for beers so far this year is Terminal Gravity's Festivale. Smooth and tastefully flavored so as not to be overbearing. I finished the beer and had the "man that was good" moment. I went and looked at the ABV. I think it said 8.4%. Holy crap could I not taste the alcohol. Would have thought it 6% at most to taste it.

Terminal Gravity makes a good argument for being the best brewer in Oregon. Edit: This may be a bit of overstatement, but when I wrote it I was thinking of brewers who have 6 packs readily available.
    Last edited by Slow Danger; 11-27-2012 at 06:28 PM.

Afric Pepperbird
    I've always been partial to Rogue's Santa's Private Reserve

And I don't even care for Rogue beer that much!

mtbr member
    So far I've had only PNW beers
    -Jubelale is very good
    -Sleigher is very nice, have it on tap locally
    -Sleepy Hollow Nut Brown (Fall McMenamins) has been my favorite beer this fall, waiting for their Kris Kringle)
    -Brrr has been a long time favorite of mine
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

Blog

mtbr member
    The chocolate Bock and the white ale in the Sam Adams Winter Sampler Pack are good. Probably go out and buy some anchor Christmas ale, kind of a tradition i have going on.
    A person who never made a mistake,
    never tried anything new..... Albert Einstein

Beer Please!
    Port Brewing Santa's Little helper, and even better is Bourbon Barrel Aged Santa's little helper.
    telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004
    I've been loving HUB's Abominable in tallboys for build days.

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluestatevirgin View Post
    My pick for beers so far this year is Terminal Gravity's Festivale. Smooth and tastefully flavored so as not to be overbearing.

Terminal Gravity makes a good argument for being the best brewer in Oregon.
    If you like Festivale, try Hair of the Dog Adam. Blows Festivale out of the water.

TG is a decent little brewery, but they have a long way to go before getting that crown. Pretty cool that they're brewed in Enterprise...one of the most isolated cities in the state.

Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    Port Brewing Santa's Little helper, and even better is Bourbon Barrel Aged Santa's little helper.
    I had the BBA Santa's last weekend. Excellent stuff...so much better than the non-BBA it's ridiculous.

My favorite Winter beers are SN Celebration, Deschutes Abyss and Stone Enjoy By 12-21-12.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GeePhroh View Post
    I've been loving HUB's Abominable in tallboys for build days.
    I had that one, and liked it too. Certainly worth giving another test run.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    It's a toss up between Anchor's "Our Special Ale" and Anderson Valley's Winter Solstice. I always look forward to both of those, and think that Anchor's offering is particularly good this year.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jtmartino View Post
    If you like Festivale, try Hair of the Dog Adam.
    For whatever reason, I haven't seen Hair of the Dog's beers in my area. Is the Adam a holiday/winter release? Or carried year round?

Jan 2004
    For whatever reason, I haven't seen Hair of the Dog's beers in my area. Is the Adam a holiday/winter release? Or carried year round?
    Adam's brewed year-round, so if you have HOTD distribution it should be readily available. I've even seen it at a couple of the upscale Safeway stores around here.

Their holiday seasonal is the Doggy Claws --- yum!

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Boognish View Post
    It's a toss up between Anchor's "Our Special Ale" and Anderson Valley's Winter Solstice. I always look forward to both of those, and think that Anchor's offering is particularly good this year.
    Yah! Just picked up some Anchor and agree it's a winner this year.

"Our Special Ale" is my "Merry Christmas, Charlie Brown" of beers. Kicks my cynicism right in the balls every year.

mtbr member
    Weird thing I find about Anchor outside California. Back in the old days, when seemed like Sierra Nevada and Anchor Steam were the only micro/craft brews a person could find, Anchor Steam was everywhere. Now, I can hardly find an Anchor beer in stores.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    sierra nevada's celebration ale is especially good this year, still early in the season so i haven't sampled many others yet

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I second whoever said Chocolate Bock but this year I think I am going to stick with local breweries (In Colorado). I will have to get back to you after I have had a few more seasonals to let you know which ones pleased my palette most

Anderson Valley Winter Solstice
    Avery Old Jubilation Ale
    Troegs Mad Elf
    St Bernardus XChristmas Ale
    Fantome De Noel

I tried SouthernTier's new 2Xmas over the weekend, which ST market's as being brewed in the Swedish Glogg tradition. Meh, I really like Glogg, but this was a little too over-spiced, but otherwise underwhelming for me.

mtbr member
    +1 for Winter Solstice

Our "leave for Santa instead of milk" beer this year is Sailing Santa from Saint Arnold.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    +2 for Anchor Christmas

My favorite last year was Xmas Sucks by Lagunitas it was a magical double IPA.

Beer Me!
    Velvet Merlin is one I always look forward too. (this thread needs more pictures)

I also really liked the Haandbryggeriet Nessefar i had last year, might try and find that again...

Glad to hear the anchor christmas is good this year. I LOVED it a few years ago, but thought last 2 year were total duds. I will give it a go.
    My Bike: FORM Cycles Titanium Prevail 29er

"Any wheel size is better than sitting at a computer all day." -Myself

Beer Me!
    Ohhh Can't believe I didn't include my local favorite: Equinox Midwinter Warmer Barley Wine. This is amazing and you will catch me drinking it often over the winter months.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GeePhroh View Post
    Adam's brewed year-round, so if you have HOTD distribution it should be readily available. I've even seen it at a couple of the upscale Safeway stores around here.

Their holiday seasonal is the Doggy Claws --- yum!
    Had a 2009 Doggie Claws over the weekend. T'was good.

mtbr member
    I've had the Velvet Merlin during the summer months. It is a year round release, right?

Edit: Hey all, feel free to post up any beers you enjoy this time of year. I don't mean to look like I'm insisting on special releases only. I just happen to drink porters and stouts year round, so I don't think of them as winter beers. Actually what I think of as winter/holiday beers are the reds that I find cloyingly sweet and way high in alcohol. I tend not to prefer them so I started this post to get some options.
    Last edited by Slow Danger; 11-27-2012 at 06:34 PM.

mtbr member
    I've had the Velvet Merlin during the summer months. It is a year round release, right?
    Yes.

Had it at the brewpub this weekend in Paso Robles along with a Double DBA.

Beer Me!
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Hungus View Post
    Yes.

Had it at the brewpub this weekend in Paso Robles along with a Double DBA.

It is year round??? I thought it was their winter seasonal. Even says "Limited Release" on the bottle.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    oct fest

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast