Paper Mill Aleworks

Family vacation beer/wine adventures...East Coast edition.

Took the family down to Chattahoochee National Forest for our Summer holiday...and convinced the wife to let me sneak a little adult-geared sightseeing in as well

We drove from Philly area to Cleveland, GA...through Virginia, NC, etc.

Day one on the road proved we were on the right track...

Shenandoah Winery.

The River Company with their nine piece sampler flights!

Day two on the road took us through Asheville...or rather, maybe I routed us through Asheville
    Unfortunately, we only passed through during lunch hours, so most of the breweries had not opened yet. Maybe that was best, as our two day car trip would have turned into three for sure.

Jack of the Woods (Green Man Brewing taproom).

Best Scotch eggs ever! Served with IPA braised kale...no joke.

French Broad Brewing.

Also stopped an got ourselves some Biltmore estate wine for dinner that night.

While in Georgia, I stopped at a local supermarket, in hopes of finding some good local options...nope. Cleveland, GA disappointed in their beer selection...so I grabbed a NB mixed case, which we thoroughly enjoyed throughout the week.

We did find a local town that had the only local brewpub in a decent radius, the town of Dahlonega, home to Caruso's/Dahlonega Brewing. Although the beers were pretty decent, they only ever have two in-house beers on tap at any given time, and I've heard consistency is hit or miss.

Thankfully, there was a great spot right around the corner called The Back Porch; which served up pints of Terrapin, Highland, Red Brick, etc.

Highland Razor Wit

About 10 minutes drive, was the village of Helen, GA. A pretty cool place which reinvented itself as a Bavarian alpine village in the 70's, after reeling financially for many years post the gold/gem mining boom.

Beirgarten and a weissbeir.

Fox Winery

Awesome hofbrau haus!

1/2 litre of Erdinger Dunkel.

In-house wurst.

Bavarian bakery made for a great morning treat.

The town also had a beanery, and working water turbine mill from the 1800's, grinding up amazing grits.

Jumping Goat Roasters

Nora Mills and moonshine pickles...yes I got some!

The coffee was great, and was a pleasant treat after my daily morning trail runs.

We visited wineries during the rest of our stay in that area of GA, since they were all pretty decent, and abundant.

Habersham Winery.

Frogtown Cellars.

Black Stock Vineyards.

We headed home, with another overnight planned for Lynchburg, VA at a friends house.
    While there, I ventured out to a Kroger's for beer...and I was in luck!

The next day, lunch took us to a great brewery tucked in the mountains near Charlottesville, VA.

Blue Mountain Brewing.

Diner that night near home at the new Canal Street Pub in Reading had an amazing tap list.

Along with some killer Southern cooking, amazing sights, and wonderful family time...some great beer/wine was icing on the cake.
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Winston Churchill

mtbr member
    You're an inspiration man!!! I'm taking my family on a trip through Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont in October and it's going to look eerily similar to this. Beers, killer food and a lot of parks and kids museums. I'll try to take as many pics as you do.

That's a trip about the Bavarian village in North Georgia. Learn something new every day.

mtbr member

Nice!

Killer trip!....Great pictures.....inspiration is right.....hitting Otter Creek, Switchback, Trout River, and Zero Gravity in Vermont over the next couple of weeks.. Thx. for the post and pics.
    There are two paths you can go by but in the long run........

ready to ride
    WTF? That looks a lot like home. Oh wait it is. Glad you enjoyed!

If you are back this way check out the Wedge and Pisgah.

Proust

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Glad you liked the scotch egg at Jack of the Wood. We take alot of pride in that dish.