Beer Please!

An Evening of Sours

Last night myself and 3 friends sat down for a little Sour Bottle Share. The amount of complexity within this style is always staggering to my mind. Here are some pics from the night:

Started off light with some Gueuze;

Timmermans Oude Gueuze Limited Edition - Brouwerij Timmermans-John Martin N.V. - Dilbeek-Itterbeek, Belgium - BeerAdvocate

Our Second beer, Tart of Darkness was my second favorite of the evening, makes me wish I had purchased 2 bottles:

Tart Of Darkness - The Bruery - Placentia, CA - BeerAdvocate

Mother Funker lived up to its name on all levels. As the bottle states, this one is not for sour beer newbies:

Provisions Series: Mother Funker - The Bruery - Placentia, CA - BeerAdvocate

Cleansed the palettes with something a bit lighter. We were all very impressed with this beer, would be a great beer to introduce someone to the sour world. I am not sure why the reviews are so bad on BA, but this beer was fantastic:

Birthday Suit - Uinta Brewing Company - Salt Lake City, UT - BeerAdvocate

Time for some Flemish, we did side by side with these 2:

Duchesse De Bourgogne - Brouwerij Verhaeghe - Vichte, Belgium - BeerAdvocate

Cuvee Des Jacobins Rouge - Brouwerij Bockor N.V. - Bellegem-Kortrijk, Belgium - BeerAdvocate

Personally I prefer the Jacobins, the Duchess had too much sugar for me.

And to top off the night, a bottle shipped in from Belgium this week:

Cantillon Fou' Foune - Brasserie Cantillon - Brussels (Anderlecht), Belgium - BeerAdvocate

This beer was by far the best of the night, the apricot smelled and tasted fresh off a tree branch. Amazing beer. It is really a shame we cannot buy Cantillon on a regular basis in SoCal.

telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    It is really a shame we cannot buy Cantillon on a regular basis in SoCal.
    First World probem. I kid.

Nicely done my friend. I've had everything but the Cantillon and the Mother Funker. Some good stuff in there for sure. "Sours" can be truly amazing.

Paper Mill Aleworks
    Great line up!
    Fou' Foune is so amazing.

Digging the bar towels as well
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Winston Churchill

Beer Please!
    Quote Originally Posted by JFryauff View Post
    Digging the bar towels as well
    Thanks, I have a very small collection at the moment, but I like picking them up when places offer them for sale.
    telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Holy crap that looks like a GREAT night! Very jealous.

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004
    Reminds me that I've got a bottle of Tart of Darkness in the cellar right now that needs to be drunk'd. Thanks for the review!

whatever she says gueuze.

Looks amazing.

I'm jealous. I've only had a few in your line-up. MotherFunker is probably one of my favs along with Oude Tart.

Hi.
    Nice tasting! That's quite the spread. Mother Funker is borderline offensive - I drank half a bottle on Tuesday, couldn't finish anymore, and turned the rest into a vinagrette salad dressing.

And there's a reason why Cantillon sells out in every store that carries it. It's amazing.

mtbr member
    Good lineup. Though, I think any sour tasting is not complete without the OG Flemish Red, Rodenbach. I'm really partial to Avery's sours, and Russian River obviously is great - I was at Russian River a few weeks ago and they had a Framboise they release every year to raise money to fight breasts cancer. I'm not a big Framboise fan, but it was pretty tasty. They also poured it at GABF this year. Brought a few bottles home to CO as well since it's only sold at the brewery.
    If you're a big sour fan, I'd recommend checking out Boulder/Avery Sour Fest next year. It sold out in about a minute this year, but it's worth the trip if you can score tickets.

Beer Me!
    Solid line up, but as mtncampbell mentioned where is my all time favorite of all time RODENBACH!!!! I am deeply and utterly offended that this taste bud angel did not make it to your lineup.

Another you may want to consider is La Folie from New Belgium, this is my #2 favorite.

If you come to sourfest, I plan on being there every year for as long as I can, just bring the tumms.

All suggestions and sh!t giving aside, solid choices and sounds like a really fun night!!
    My Bike: FORM Cycles Titanium Prevail 29er

"Any wheel size is better than sitting at a computer all day." -Myself

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guerdonian View Post
    Solid line up, but as mtncampbell mentioned where is my all time favorite of all time RODENBACH!!!! I am deeply and utterly offended that this taste bud angel did not make it to your lineup.

Another you may want to consider is La Folie from New Belgium, this is my #2 favorite.

If you come to sourfest, I plan on being there every year for as long as I can, just bring the tumms.

All suggestions and sh!t giving aside, solid choices and sounds like a really fun night!!
    +1 on La Folie. It is, and always has been an excellent beer; after all, Peter Bouckaert brewed it and before he was at New Belgium he was the brewer at Rodenbach in Belgium (but I'm sure you know this already). Did you try the New Belgium/Redstone Meadery collaboration at Sour Fest - Black Folie? I thought it was top notch...really different, jammy, definitely a dessert-type beer, but just amazing.

Another highlight was Sang Noir from Cascade Brewing. They're doing some incredible sours as well, if only their distribution channels brought them to CO. I just don't think there's enough to go around...

If you're looking for a good, less well-known sour producer, Jester King in Austin, TX is another good one. Christian DeBenedetti, a friend, and author of the Great American Ale Trail suggested I check them out at GABF. I was certainly impressed.

My stomach was not right for about two weeks after this year's sour fest. Would I do it all over again? In a heartbeat...

aka baycat
    Awesome lineup, not tried a Cantillon in some time but thankfully on the emergency notification list of my local bottle shop!

I love "sour" beers, the style is very expansive shown nicely by the bottles you had.

Jester King makes sour style beers?

Beer Me!
    Quote Originally Posted by mtncampbell View Post
    +1 on La Folie. It is, and alw...............rtbeat...
    Yes the Redstone Meadery blends were spectacular, and my choice of the evening, I did a review of the event here:
    Boulder SourFest, 3rd Annual, 2012! Pucker up Buttercup
    Tums are a requirement for sourfest, saved my life.

I knew all that about Peter, first time I met him I was like a teenage girl at a rock concert, He wouldn't sign my chest though, said it was to hairy.

We could go on and an all day about other recommendations, literally all ..... day, but I think La Folie and Rodenbach are two of the "must try" sours.
    My Bike: FORM Cycles Titanium Prevail 29er

"Any wheel size is better than sitting at a computer all day." -Myself

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by jonson86 View Post
    I can't understand thate whats the mean by Mother Funker.
    but I like drink with my friends. in mid night .
    Epic.

mtbr member
    The Tart of Darkness and Mother Funker are two phenomenal beers, that must of been a hell of night...
    A person who never made a mistake,
    never tried anything new..... Albert Einstein