Beer Me!

"Espresso machine for beer" A one week, push button homebrew machine

Brew Your Own Beer in Just One Week (Instead of the Standard Six) with PicoBrew - Core77

I have mixed opinions on this (mostly negative to be honest as a traditional homebrewer) but thought it would make an interesting discussion.
    My Bike: FORM Cycles Titanium Prevail 29er

"Any wheel size is better than sitting at a computer all day." -Myself

mtbr member
    A buddy of mine sent me a link to this on Kickstarter a while ago. They've certainly made their start up money. Also skeptical, but curious. I think I'd rather spend my money on a brew bucket or conical fermenter to add to my current supplies and ditch the carboys than this thing. I imagine there is less control over the brew process and less possible variety, but I really don't know. Still it's an interesting option if you are in the mindset to purchase an automated homebrew system, especially if you live in an apt.
    No fuss with the MUSS

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004
    I'm with you...there's something that just feels wrong. It seems like removing the art (and the cleaning) of brewing.

That being said, the creators have been working with Fremont Brewing, a seriously legit local craft outfit. Fremont has been using it to run test recipes, and the feedback I've heard is that they've been impressed.

At $1500, it's priced well south of a high-quality espresso machine so I could see them being moderately successful sales-wise. There are a lot of young-urban-professional types with disposable cash who want to try out "real home-brewing," but don't want to deal with the hassle of figuring out equipment, futzing with recipes and keeping everything clean.

But you can buy an awful lot of brewing equipment for $1500.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I saw this thing a few weeks ago as well, and it's the perfect solution for my situation. I live in a crap studio apt with very little real estate to spare (since having four bikes inside takes valuable real estate). As for how good/reliable/variety you can get, time will tell. I'm certainly not rich, but as a grad student who wants solid brews, it's high on the possible solutions list.

Beer Please!
    No good can come of this.
    telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

Hi.
    "there's no art in scrubbing out a kettle...[or] sitting in front of a crab cooker and reading a book.." - Avi Geiger, co-founder.

Actually Avi, that's part of the art of craft brewing. Preparation, cleaning, sanitation, cooking and patience. That's actually most of what brewing is.

I think it's a cool machine and a neat innovation, but there are too many people who want it to remain a craft. It's even hit the espresso crowd - taking things down a notch and producing a more labor-intensive product has become popular again.

I see it as being a popular pilot system for craft breweries and homebrewers, but it's too small for really anything else.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tuffguy View Post
    I'm certainly not rich, but as a grad student who wants solid brews, it's high on the possible solutions list.
    1. Do not use your school loans to buy a Picobrew. There are many options for the small scale homebrewer. If you do purchase, you are indeed a rich grad student.

2. You can purchase many solid brews over a lengthy period of time (4-5 yrs of school, assuming PhD.) with $1500.
    No fuss with the MUSS