mtbr member

Dry Hopping In Conical

I'm just about to move to a conical, though the only question's I have is regarding dry hopping.

Is it okay to add the hops while there's still some remnants of krausen on the surface or should the hops just be sunk?
    Old enough to know better, too old to give a F$cK

Paper Mill Aleworks
    How long has primary fermentation been going?
    Normally, I'd wait until the krausen sinks, then pull the trub/yeast cake from the bottom of the conical before dry-hopping.
    Granted, it really won't hurt the beer if you decide to dry hop prior to the krausen settling, but it will guarantee any unwanted yeast suspension has fallen.
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Winston Churchill

mtbr member
    If you want the beer to fully attenuate, wait until the fermentation is completely or very very near completely done. Matt Brynildson at Firestone Walker talks about dryhopping when you're about 1 point from terminal gravity, which can produce desirable phenolics, but if you dry hop before full attenuation, the antimicrobial properties of hops will kill off your yeast cells before they've had a chance to do their work.

mtbr member
    @ JFryauff - I haven't yet used the conical, its on its way, just gathering info for when its time. Good point regarding the krausen and waiting for it to completely sink, I haven't taken notice with what happens once high krausen is complete.

@ mwandrusz - I've always (good to know I'm doing something right) waited for the fermentation to complete, then wait a 10 days or so then rack to the secondary. Once racked for 7 days I'll then add the hops for another 5-7 days, then bottle.

Looking forward to not having to rack to a secondary!

Beer Please!
    Quote Originally Posted by bigcrs View Post
    @ JFryauff - I haven't yet used the conical, its on its way, just gathering info for when its time. Good point regarding the krausen and waiting for it to completely sink, I haven't taken notice with what happens once high krausen is complete.

@ mwandrusz - I've always (good to know I'm doing something right) waited for the fermentation to complete, then wait a 10 days or so then rack to the secondary. Once racked for 7 days I'll then add the hops for another 5-7 days, then bottle.

Looking forward to not having to rack to a secondary!
    I am guessing the whole point of getting a Conical is so you can flush the yeast cake out of the bottom of the Conical. Once that is done you have technically "racked" the beer into secondary.

I am not sure why you wait so long between end of fermentation and after racking ot add the hops.

When we brew we pull the beer off the yeast cake into a clean Carboy (Secondary/racking) and add our Dry Hop immediately. Just be sure you adjust the temperature in your primary to make sure all the active yeast drops out of suspension before you rack and you will have no issues adding hops immediately.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    I am not sure why you wait so long between end of fermentation and after racking ot add the hops.

I haven't been brewing that long, its been part of my process. Just to help with a little final clarity I like to let it sit, then in the last remaining week or so of secondary I'll add the hop's.

Thanks for the interesting reply

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigcrs View Post
    I haven't been brewing that long, its been part of my process. Just to help with a little final clarity I like to let it sit, then in the last remaining week or so of secondary I'll add the hop's.

Thanks for the interesting reply
    Cold crash your beer as Klure said - stick the carboy in the fridge (if possible) after the primary fermentation. Chilling it overnight will cause a lot of yeast, protein haze, and other floaties to fall out of solution and hit the bottom.

Congrats on the conical - that's not a step I've taken yet. In regards to the secondary, I've read more and more that it's not really necessary. Obviously this won't apply to you when you get your conical, but it's good info for others.. The primary reason to rack to secondary is to clarify the beer before bottling/kegging, but this can be done with hop bags and careful siphoning (and cold crashing). Jon Palmer, at the AHA "Ask the Experts Panel," stated:

Therefore I, and Jamil and White Labs and Wyeast Labs, do not recommend racking to a secondary fermenter for ANY ale, except when conducting an actual second fermentation, such as adding fruit or souring. Racking to prevent autolysis is not necessary, and therefore the risk of oxidation is completely avoidable. Even lagers do not require racking to a second fermenter before lagering. With the right pitching rate, using fresh healthy yeast, and proper aeration of the wort prior to pitching, the fermentation of the beer will be complete within 3-8 days (bigger = longer). This time period includes the secondary or conditioning phase of fermentation when the yeast clean up acetaldehyde and diacetyl. The real purpose of lagering a beer is to use the colder temperatures to encourage the yeast to flocculate and promote the precipitation and sedimentation of microparticles and haze.

So, the new rule of thumb: donít rack a beer to a secondary, ever, unless you are going to conduct a secondary fermentation.