mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Drinking local, Egyptian style.

Currently I am working in Cairo, Egypt. I have a firm rule to try local products first, wherever I am. It may be surprising to some, but there is beer to be found in Cairo.

Stella (not to be confused with Stella Artrois) An American style lager. My first impression was perhaps not that good, but by the time I finished the first can I could appreciate it for what it is. Starts off sort of Budweiserish, but tends toward a sweet finish that is quite refreshing after 20 hours of travel to get to my hotel.

Sakara. Another American style lager. Maybe the can I had was a bit skunked. It had a bit more hop in the initial presentation than Stella, but it really either needed fewer hops, or quite a bit more. Slightly sour, it really didn't do much for me.

I haven't found any other local varieties, but I think I am going to try to make a trip to a bar I saw last night in New Cairo called (I am not kidding here...) Bro's. I reckon a beer bar called Bro's can hook a brotha up with other local recommendations.

The beers here may be underwhelming, but this is not a culture that currently has a rich brewing tradition. While beer has been made in this area for as long as Society has existed, it's not a part of the local culture to imbibe. So regardless of the quality of the product, I am highly likely to continue drinking the local Stella for the duration of my stay.

The first thing I am doing when I get home is to find a good craft IPA.

Beer Please!
    If you find anything close to being craft over there, mule some home with you, and I will do a beer mail trade with you.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I'll be looking around. I understand there is a Scotch style whiskey that is produced (with poor reviews on connosr) locally that I am going to try to hunt down while here. So far, I've only seen the two brews above and only at my hotel.

Paper Mill Aleworks
    Try and grab some Luxor or Meister Max if you can.
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Winston Churchill

boardguru
    Oct 2009
    I was stationed in Egypt for 9 months in '93-'94. I had access to the Embassy commissary in Cairo then so I could buy Bud and Fosters. I drank Stella a few times, but it was a pretty lousy excuse for beer at that time, maybe it's improved since.
    Just my 2 cents worth.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I agree that Stella isn't exactly outstanding, boardguru, but I am glad to see it is available at all. Also, I have found that the first sip is pretty awful, but it gets better as I drink it.

JFryauff, I'll look for those as well. My hotel only stocks Stella, Sakara and Heineken (which I do not like at the best of times). Unsurprisingly, none of my colleagues in Cairo drink. That leaves me mostly to my own devices. I understand that public drunkenness here is a very serious offense, so I won't be trying to paint the town red by any means.