mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Drinking before riding--effects on cardio?

I've been enjoying some brews during lunch and subsequently riding. Not many, usually between 1-3, but I was just curious how it might affect my ability to complete a strenuous ride (e.g lot's of climbing) with relation to doing the same exact ride without drinking. Any thoughts?

Notes: I usually drink brown or pale ales.

Beer Please!
    I have found for me personally any beer or alcohol before exercise of any sort is detrimental to my performance. The dehydration that can come from alcohol in ones system basic negates the hydration you would get from drinking water.

I have found in the past that my energy levels are reduced.

so now I only have a drink after my exercise is done and stick to water while riding. I know this may not be the case for everyone as our bodies are different and able to process things differently.

How do you feel when riding with some beer in your system?
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    I have found for me personally any beer or alcohol before exercise of any sort is detrimental to my performance. The dehydration that can come from alcohol in ones system basic negates the hydration you would get from drinking water.

I have found in the past that my energy levels are reduced.

so now I only have a drink after my exercise is done and stick to water while riding. I know this may not be the case for everyone as our bodies are different and able to process things differently.

How do you feel when riding with some beer in your system?
    I feel invincible! Not really haha, I definitely stay hydrated enough to combat any dehydrating effects of the alcohol, but I think it definitely makes me fatigue much quicker and just feel lazy overall.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I think it's going to depend on just how hard you have to go- lollygag on a fireroad w/ 2 beers in you? Sure, no sweat.
    Climb some hellish hills w/ 2 beers in you? Pukefest and likely failure. (At least for me).
    I've often thought to myself about stopping at pubs on road rides, but never done it- just doesn't seem appealing while I'm riding.
    (Now Afterwards!! Whole different animal, lol!!)

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by RRRoubaix View Post
    I think it's going to depend on just how hard you have to go- lollygag on a fireroad w/ 2 beers in you? Sure, no sweat.
    Climb some hellish hills w/ 2 beers in you? Pukefest and likely failure. (At least for me).
    I've often thought to myself about stopping at pubs on road rides, but never done it- just doesn't seem appealing while I'm riding.
    (Now Afterwards!! Whole different animal, lol!!)
    +1 on the fireriad/hellish hills haha. Still, I think beer is much more tolerable pre-ride than milk. :# From now on though, after it is!

PRETENDURO
    I do most of my training rides hung over as sh*t. My belief is that it is a form of anaerobic training, wherein the body isnít able to probably use oxygen, and that is making me a stronger rider. Oh, I also ride fatbikes, so that throws more effort into the training rides as well. If I didnít drink, I think I might actually be able to upgrade to Cat1; the drinking is holding me back to a podium-finisher Cat2.

Last Thursday I drank a 22ouncer IPA (I believe it was Lagunitas Hop Stoopid) just before climbing up Montebello Road on my fat singlespeed (44x20 ratio). I wasnít the slowest one up the hill by any means.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Effects on crashing go up! YRMV

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Bluntrager, lol sick screen name.

mtbr member
    Just doesn't feel good when I do. Avoid til after.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Beer is rich in glucose. Drinking some before riding will boost your energy, but drinking too much on the other hand will boost your accident chances so balance it as well.

mtbr member
    I often bring a can of something good with to have during a mid-ride break, especially if it is a longer ride. I can't say having 1 or 2 beers before a ride has made me feel too bad, in fact the Wednesday night ride I do ends at a bar, and I ride home through the mountains after. Too much though and it gets to cause some stomach and concentration issues.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Before I take a can of beer before having some rides. I felt like I have more energy in doing so.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I regularly take late night rides to friends houses, usually around 5-10 km away, and leave anywhere from 1-3 am after having some drinks, and some "herbal remedies". Now I would never challenge my sober self to a race, however I find i push through the climbing burn a lot more tolerably when I'm a little intoxicated. Its obviously just a "numbed senses" type thing. I don't notice a drop in my cardio, but those rides aren't really long enough for cardio to really be a limiting factor. I might lose 30 seconds on the ride out of a typical 15 minutes to a friends house 7.5 km away, but I'm just sauced enough to not notice or care.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    If you're trAining for an event, no alcohol is the best course. I've found drinking and sports tend to be dangerous for me as I get the invincible complex. Judgement goes way down...

mtbr member
    Drinking beer makes me lazy and makes me want to quit when things get tough. I save my drinking for after workouts. The affect is obvious to me. If you can drink a couple and not feel any detrimental affect then there probably isn't much, if any, detrimental affect. Lucky you!