• 12-16-2012
    kapusta
    Don't like many IPA's, but I LOVE Raging B!tch
    Overall, I'm not a huge fan of most IPA's I taste. Most taste like spoiled beer to me, or like chewing on a pine bush.

However, there are a few exceptions, and I have been LOVING Flying Dog Raging B!tch.

I'm not sure what the "Belgian Style" part of "Belgian Style IPA" means, but it has me interested to try more. I've had one in the past I I did not like it for the same reason I dislike so many other IPA's, but this one just works!:thumbsup:
  • 12-16-2012
    kjlued
    I used to feel the same way about IPA's
    You will change too.
    Eventually you will crave what you don't like in an IPA.
  • 12-16-2012
    kapusta
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    You will change too.

I don't think so.

If my mind was going to change, it would have years ago. I've been trying IPA's for almost 10 years.
  • 12-16-2012
    kjlued
    Yes
  • 12-16-2012
    kapusta
    Quote:

Yes

You don't know me, so your opinion here is worthless.

Like whatever you please, but don't claim to know my tastes.
  • 12-16-2012
    YETI_NH
    "Belgian IPA's" use Belgian yeast strains and hops, also not as bitter as American style IPA's. Should be more balanced and smooth. You should try other Belgian styles if you enjoy the IPA!
  • 12-16-2012
    jtmartino
  • 12-16-2012
    mountainmatt
    I love Bear Republic IPAs.
  • 12-16-2012
    Jayem
    Quote:

You will change too.

Naw, an unbalanced IPA with poor yeast selection and hops still tastes like gasoline.

There are at least 3 kinds(yes, I know there are many more, but I think they all fall into these categories). Mild IPAs that are a little amusing, tasty, not too serious and a fun change. Then there are ones that the brewers try to craft to be extreme examples of the genre, with balanced and full flavors. There's the hops, but also complex flavors to savor and everything else. These are the PTE types and others. Then there's the ones that just go nuts and taste like crap because they way overdid the hops without anything else. They taste overly sharp and one-dimensional. I think at that point it gets to be a male chest-beating contest of who can find/handle the hoppiest IPA, beyond having any actual redeeming quality.
  • 12-16-2012
    kapusta
    Quote:

Originally Posted by YETI_NH View Post
    "Belgian IPA's" use Belgian yeast strains and hops, also not as bitter as American style IPA's. Should be more balanced and smooth. You should try other Belgian styles if you enjoy the IPA!

Will do:thumbsup:

I do like many Belgian wheat beers, and I had Rare Vos on tap one time and loved it.
  • 12-16-2012
    hitechredneck
    I am a raging ***** fan as well. I am a fan of Stone IPA's as well. Not a big IPA fan more of a porter and stout fan.
  • 12-17-2012
    kjlued
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kapusta View Post
    You don't know me, so your opinion here is worthless.

Like whatever you please, but don't claim to know my tastes.

Wow, you are a sensitive little one.

I thought it was pretty obvious that was sarcasm but next time I will put a disclaimer after it for you.:rolleyes:
  • 12-18-2012
    uclamatt2007
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kapusta View Post
    Will do:thumbsup:

I do like many Belgian wheat beers, and I had Rare Vos on tap one time and loved it.

Try the Stone Cali-Belgique IPA if you can get your hands on it. It's this same style and in my opinion the most well
    done of the bunch. The biggest reason for that is it starts with a great base IPA. Stone's IPA is not dependent on you getting slapped in the face by hops like many IPAs. It is a balanced beer with a good hop note and far more malt than most. Just a great balanced beer.
  • 12-18-2012
    jtmartino
    Also, check out Green Flash's Le Freak. Or this one, probably the best version of the style on the planet. It's expensive, but DAMN is it good!

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/i...BxPrtSx-HTK4uq

Anchorage Bitter Monk.
  • 12-19-2012
    Carl Hungus
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jtmartino View Post
    Also, check out Green Flash's Le Freak. Or this one, probably the best version of the style on the planet. It's expensive, but DAMN is it good!

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/i...BxPrtSx-HTK4uq

Anchorage Bitter Monk.

Ahh yes. Nice one. That guys' beers are awesome.
  • 12-19-2012
    jtmartino
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl Hungus View Post
    Ahh yes. Nice one. That guys' beers are awesome.

Yeah apparently he's the genius behind most of Midnight Sun's epic beers. Have you had that Bitter Monk? Really, really good. Just really expensive, and rightfully so. Those guys need to get grain and materials shipped to them in AK, and then they need to ship their stuff all the way back. Practically an import at that point (without the taxes.)
  • 12-19-2012
    Carl Hungus
    Quote:

Yeah apparently he's the genius behind most of Midnight Sun's epic beers. Have you had that Bitter Monk? Really, really good. Just really expensive, and rightfully so. Those guys need to get grain and materials shipped to them in AK, and then they need to ship their stuff all the way back. Practically an import at that point (without the taxes.)

The only one of his I haven't had is Rondy Brew (Saison). The Tide and its Takers (Tripel) and Love Buzz (Saison) are also really good in my opinion. They are pricy though. He's a big inspiration for SARA and I believe he provided some insight with Tim's recently purchased fouder.
  • 12-19-2012
    jonz
    Quote:

If you like Raging B!tch, check out these:

[Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA Tripel ]

[Lagunitas Little Sumpin Wild Ale]

Good call on Lil Sumpin Wild. Compares favorably to Raging B!tch, equally tasty.
  • 12-19-2012
    StiHacka
    Have you ever tried an Indian Pale Lager? Hoponius Union is a very hoppy beer that does not taste like resin. And it comes in .5l bottles. :thumbsup:
  • 12-19-2012
    dirt farmer
    I'll take a good ol' Northwest IPA, dank with hop ooze, over a Belgian IPA any day.

Color me weird.