Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Paper Mill Aleworks

Dogfish Head Hip-Hop Collaboration "Positive Contact"

From a recent newsletter:

Press Release:

(Milton, DE) Ė Dogfish Head Craft Brewery and Deltron 3030′s Dan the Automator have teamed up to create Positive Contact, a hybrid of beer and cider based on Danís favorite ingredients and Dogfish Headís innovative brewing practices.

Deltron 3030 is an adventurous hip-hop collaboration between Dan and Del the Funkee Homosapien. Deltronís self-titled debut album, released in 2000, was an instant classic and is included on many hip-hop best-of lists. It got an 8/10 rating on NME, which called it ďa crazed sci-fi journey to Planet B.S. that takes myriad detours around the galaxy. The most purely enjoyable hip-hop album of 2000.Ē

Over a decade in the making, the new Deltron 3030 album is set to drop this spring, and Positive Contact was brewed to celebrate the release.

Named after a key track on the first album, Positive Contact is a 9% ABV hybrid of beer and cider brewed with wood-pressed Fuji apples, roasted farro, a handful of cayenne peppers and a late dose of fresh cilantro. This sweet-and-sour Belgian-ish brew is a light straw color with fruity, cider-like notes. The cayenne and alcohol give it a warming finish.

The beer will be released in a dynamic box set of six 750-ml champagne bottles, with a 10-inch vinyl EP of four new Deltron 3030 remixes created exclusively for this project, and a list of Deltron 3030-inspired recipes from a small group of renowned chefs (see below). Invite some friends over, rock the album, drink the beer and whip up a multi-course meal. Itís a house party in a box.

Positive Contact box sets will be released in May throughout Dogfish Headís distribution network, in accordance with local and state laws. Stay tuned.
    Cool transformers-esq video, featuring the aforementioned DJ and rap artist.

I'll be seeking this out!
    I'm especially excited about the six-bottle boxset, with EP.
    I'm not a huge hip-hop fan, but I listened to plenty of Del, Pep Love, Casual, and Hieroglyphics in highschool; so this is more nostalgic.
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Winston Churchill

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JFryauff View Post
    I'm not a huge hip-hop fan, but I listened to plenty of Del, Pep Love, Casual, and Hieroglyphics in highschool; so this is more nostalgic.
    Growing up in the bay area, Del and Hiero were gods during my high school/college years. I barely listen to Hip Hop these days. Getting old...

Holy ****. This is a must own for me. I have been listening to those dudes for over a decade and still think they come up with some of the most innovative rhymes and beats. Not a huge fan of ciders but am a super nerd when it comes to limited vinyl and box sets; I need this and am considering not drinking the beers. I'll buy a single to try. Now I'm going to have to hound DFH until this drops.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Id scrap the passion forum all together, its a breeding ground for unicorn milkers, rainbow chasers and candy cotton farters.

mtbr member
    I'll be jumping on that box set when it comes out. The brew sounds interesting and I've been a fan of Del, Hiero, Deltron, etc. for years. Thanks for sharing!

mtbr member
    Random collaboration, but thats awesome! Big del fan.

Paper Mill Aleworks
    9000 cases confirmed via Twitter.
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Winston Churchill

Paper Mill Aleworks
    Label approval:

Beer Me!
    Id the rapper in the question also in Gorillaz? he sounds exactly the same.

Paper Mill Aleworks
    Quote Originally Posted by Guerdonian View Post
    Id the rapper in the question also in Gorillaz? he sounds exactly the same.
    On that particular song, yes.
    The collaboration is with the DJ whom wrote the track for the song.

May is so far away... I missed the boat on a hook up for the Apocalypse beers, I'm in the DFH distro area, I am not going to miss this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Id scrap the passion forum all together, its a breeding ground for unicorn milkers, rainbow chasers and candy cotton farters.

Any words on release date/areas? I'm trying to stay on this one so I make sure to get it.

Paper Mill Aleworks
    Quote Originally Posted by monzie View Post
    Any words on release date/areas? I'm trying to stay on this one so I make sure to get it.
    Not yet...I'll check Monday.

I asked my local shop yesterday. They said their distributor (Triton) is expecting to get some in June. So they told me to expect it in the first or second week of June.

Paper Mill Aleworks
    Test presses for the vinyl album, which accompanies the "box set" brew were waxed today!

Hopefully this means we're just a fees out from release!

I'd love to get my hands on a test press. That would rule so hard.

mtbr member
    Did not even know that Del the Funky Homosapien was still alive. Interesting beer-hiphop collaboration; I enjoy both but assumed I was in the minority...

Paper Mill Aleworks
    DFH posted today via Instagram a picture of their bottling line filled with Positive Contact, saying they have hopes of getting the beer on shelves by 6/18.

Very exciting!

This is dropping like a stereotypical hip-hop album.

mtbr member
    From the DFH Facebook page...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dogfish Head Hip-Hop Collaboration "Positive Contact"-positive-contact.jpg  

Dogfish Head Hip-Hop Collaboration "Positive Contact"-positive-contact2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Did anybody ever try this beer? I had it over the weekend. I asked the bartender what he knew of it and his response was "It's a Dogfish Head beer". At first I thought he was being a cool guy and then I knew what he meant. I actually enjoyed it though and it was a big hit with my wife and her friend.

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004
    I had some last weekend. The cider element was strongly present, and played nicely against the soft flavors of the wheat and belgian yeast. It had a great mouth-feel with a hint of peppery spice to give the round body some character. Overall, though, it wasn't mind-blowing -- not as complex as I had expected. Worth trying, though...

Maybe it would have been better if we got one with the single.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GeePhroh View Post
    I had some last weekend. The cider element was strongly present, and played nicely against the soft flavors of the wheat and belgian yeast. It had a great mouth-feel with a hint of peppery spice to give the round body some character. Overall, though, it wasn't mind-blowing -- not as complex as I had expected. Worth trying, though...

Maybe it would have been better if we got one with the single.
    Yeah, not as complex as you might think with everything going on but pretty easy drinking and crisp and acidic due to the apples. A good summer beer I would think.

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Hungus View Post
    Yeah, not as complex as you might think with everything going on but pretty easy drinking and crisp and acidic due to the apples. A good summer beer I would think.
    Definitely agree with the easy drinking part -- and dangerous since it's somewhere around 9%!

mtbr member
    I've had a bottle of this chilling for a while now. I really need to get around to it.
    Ride Bikes
    Drink Beer

Paper Mill Aleworks
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Hungus View Post
    Did anybody ever try this beer?
    Not bad, not great.
    I enjoyed it...just didn't enjoy hunting it down
    I tried to get a "box-set" with LP, but all my local shops split up the cases, and all the LP's disappeared.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast