Results 1 to 50 of 50
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    46

    Dogfish Head 120 minutes

    Anybody ever had it? Only heard about it, and having 90 minute be my favorite beer on the planet, I would LOVE to try 120. Where can I find it? what season does it come around? Thankssss

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    164
    agreed on the 90-minute, I love that beer! sadly I cant get it here in Missouri so I stock up in Florida!

  3. #3
    Paper Mill Aleworks
    Reputation: JFryauff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,484
    It's big, offensive, and wonderful all at the same time.
    I liken it more to a barleywine than an IIPA, but it is what it is, a great beer.

    They try an release it periodically, I think the last time was earlier this year.

    It's distributed to the following: AZ, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, IL, KY, MA, MD, ME, MI, NJ, NV, NY, OR, PA, VA, WA

    So depending on where your at, and how fast it sells (usually fairly quick), you can grab some. The Dogfish Head website has a "Fish Finder" application, which will give you bars/stores in your area which have it, if available.
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Winston Churchill

  4. #4
    Beer Please! SuperModerator
    Reputation: Klurejr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,127
    I found some when visiting NYC back in the spring. I live in Socal so DFH beer is limited on what they ship here.

    I had it just 2 months later in May and it was very boozy, good but tons of heat.

    My second bottle is aging, I plan to try it this coming spring and see how it matured.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    46
    got it. thanks for the info. Luckily a few places here in socal are starting to have 90min on tap but too bad about no 120!

  6. #6
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    17,931
    Quote Originally Posted by JFryauff View Post
    It's big, offensive, and wonderful all at the same time.
    I liken it more to a barleywine than an IIPA, but it is what it is, a great beer.

    They try an release it periodically, I think the last time was earlier this year.

    It's distributed to the following: AZ, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, IL, KY, MA, MD, ME, MI, NJ, NV, NY, OR, PA, VA, WA

    So depending on where your at, and how fast it sells (usually fairly quick), you can grab some. The Dogfish Head website has a "Fish Finder" application, which will give you bars/stores in your area which have it, if available.
    Add TX to the list. My local beer shop called me this afternoon that they got some 120min today. Not sure there will be any left when I get outta here, but I'm gonna try.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: One Pivot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    5,766
    Ive had it, I dont think its a "good" ipa. Its a VERY strong beer, but it tastes like they tried to make it as harsh and offensive as possible. Theres just no balance or real quality flavor. Has a distinct alcohol taste and it doesnt go down well.

    I think Hebrew RIPA is a better example of a very strong IPA (all though its not as strong). The 120 was a big letdown, I thought the 90 minute was a really good beer with drastically better flavor.

    Its worth buying one, im glad i finally found one but was definitely let down. Its a novelty at best.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Possum Jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    457
    My beer store had 12oz bottles for $11.99 each. I couldn't swing it.
    Ride Bikes
    Drink Beer

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    27
    Some friends went to the brewery the other day. They were told that 120 minute and World Wide Stout are no longer going to be made. I will miss the world wide stout!

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    59
    120 is obnoxious and disgusting. I've had them aged and fresh. Ick. I agree that its like a barleywine except I've never had a barleywine as obnoxious or disgusting. Not for me, clearly. YMMV.

  11. #11
    Ride,Smile, Pedal Damn it
    Reputation: henrymiller1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    552
    WOW, lots of negativity. 120 is my favorite. WW is second. Neither is what most people think of as a beer. I wouldn't get one at a ballgame. But GD is it good at home or at DFH. I really hope previous post is wrong about them stopping production.

  12. #12
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    17,931
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    Ive had it, I dont think its a "good" ipa. Its a VERY strong beer, but it tastes like they tried to make it as harsh and offensive as possible. Theres just no balance or real quality flavor. Has a distinct alcohol taste and it doesnt go down well.

    I think Hebrew RIPA is a better example of a very strong IPA (all though its not as strong). The 120 was a big letdown, I thought the 90 minute was a really good beer with drastically better flavor.

    Its worth buying one, im glad i finally found one but was definitely let down. Its a novelty at best.
    After finishing my bottle this evening, I understand a lot of these comments. Yeah, the alcohol is seriously apparent. After one bottle, I had a serious buzz for close to an hour after finishing. As I got closer to the end of the bottle, I began to decide that it wasn't my favorite, either. I agree that 90min tastes better in general.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: AtotheZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    360
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    Add TX to the list. My local beer shop called me this afternoon that they got some 120min today. Not sure there will be any left when I get outta here, but I'm gonna try.
    Got mine yesterday and waiting to try it. From what I understand it hasn't been in Texas for a couple of years. Only allowed me to buy two bottles at the store and they were 10 bucks a pop. At 10 bucks one better get me drunk

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,148
    I have had a couple different years. It's good, but not worth the $ IMO. I much prefer the 90 minute. And I can have four of them for less than one 120.

    That said, the 120 is worth the experience.

  15. #15
    Beer Me!
    Reputation: Guerdonian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,083
    I had it, was an interesting experience. I wouldn't pay for it again, as it wasn't breathtaking, but it was worth the effort to get it the once.
    "Any wheel size is better than sitting at a computer all day." -Myself

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: borborpa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    113
    The 120 is a wonderful thing, but it moves to a realm beyond "beer" for me. It's not something you sit and drink a 6-pack of. More like champagne.

    Sent from my VS910 4G using Tapatalk 2

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: A1an's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,878
    120 is worth trying at least once. As others have said it is more like a barley wine than a traditional IPA. To me it was very sweet. Not a bad beverage but not worth the $12 for a 12oz bottle imo.
    Signature

  18. #18
    .
    Reputation: jonz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    908
    I like the 120, but I like the World Wide Stout (also 18 ABV) even more.

  19. #19
    West Chester, PA
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    3,741
    Agree with those that said it's obnoxious. Had one goblet and it was enough.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: One Pivot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    5,766
    It tastes like a very cheap IPA with a couple shots of store brand vodka in it. Its still one of those beers that you just gotta try.

    Not saying to pass it up, its worth the experience... but its nasty

  21. #21
    Hi.
    Reputation: jtmartino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,868
    Quote Originally Posted by jonz View Post
    I like the 120, but I like the World Wide Stout (also 18 ABV) even more.
    Absolutely. WW Stout is a better beer overall, especially for something with really high ABV.

  22. #22
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    23,705
    Damn, this sucks about the WWS. I always thought the WWS was a great beer, complex, not really characteristic of a stout, more like a strong flavorful belgian ale with some stout characteristics.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eugalc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    168
    Quote Originally Posted by hadique View Post
    120 is obnoxious and disgusting. I've had them aged and fresh. Ick. I agree that its like a barleywine except I've never had a barleywine as obnoxious or disgusting. Not for me, clearly. YMMV.
    Have too agree here. It's very over the top. I had it on tap as a sample at a DFH brew pub and via a bottle and it's just too much. Also, I'm a DFH lover, but this one doesn't do a single thing for me. In fact it tastes like I imagine kerosene would taste.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    12
    I love 120 but hate WWS. Just dont like the taste it leave in my mouth!

  25. #25
    banned
    Reputation: random walk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,666
    If any of you are old enough to remember this:



    that's what it tasted like to me. Love the 90 minute, though.

  26. #26
    i'm schralping yer thread
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    839
    IMHO, you pretty much get what you're asking for with the 120 Minute. And if that's your thing, then you'll probably love it (kind of like the Voodoo Donut...)

    For anyone who likes the 90 and finds themselves near a DFH taphouse, check out the "Alehouse 75." It's just a poured blend of the 90 and the 60. Fantastic!

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,192
    Way,way,way overrated and cost is unjustifiable,IMO there 75 minute bottle conditioned is best of series!

  28. #28
    Dab-O-Matic
    Reputation: Simplemind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    846
    IMHO, I think there is a limit as to how high of an alcohol content can still taste good. I had the same experience with Sneaky Pete (ABV 10%). It just tasted like grain alcohol was added.

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    332
    Quote Originally Posted by GeePhroh View Post
    IMHO, you pretty much get what you're asking for with the 120 Minute. And if that's your thing, then you'll probably love it (kind of like the Voodoo Donut...)

    For anyone who likes the 90 and finds themselves near a DFH taphouse, check out the "Alehouse 75." It's just a poured blend of the 90 and the 60. Fantastic!
    not calling you out or anything and i know people have different expectations, but my biggest problem with this beer is the marketing of it. on the bottle it gets all pretentious and arrogant and labels it as "The Imperial IPA". on the DFH website they through around words like "the holy grail for hop heads".

    all of those claims are so far off that its just ridiculous. i wasn't a huge fan of the beer, or any DFH beer to be honest. burton baton is solid and 90 is decent as well, but everything is else is just so over hyped and not that great. i've got a *****es brew now so maybe that will give me a better opinion of DFH, but they really just dissapoint me more than please me.

  30. #30
    i'm schralping yer thread
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    839
    Quote Originally Posted by pecsokak View Post
    not calling you out or anything and i know people have different expectations, but my biggest problem with this beer is the marketing of it. on the bottle it gets all pretentious and arrogant and labels it as "The Imperial IPA". on the DFH website they through around words like "the holy grail for hop heads".

    all of those claims are so far off that its just ridiculous. i wasn't a huge fan of the beer, or any DFH beer to be honest. burton baton is solid and 90 is decent as well, but everything is else is just so over hyped and not that great. i've got a *****es brew now so maybe that will give me a better opinion of DFH, but they really just dissapoint me more than please me.
    Naw...I'm with you. I didn't say it was everyone's cup of tea, or even the world's greatest beer. Just that if you're drinking a beer that claims +15% abv and 120 ibus, you should expect that it will be huge and probably stomp on your palate.

    FWIW, I've tried it a number of times and appreciate it for the audacity (surprisingly drinkable for what it is); but have never and likely won't ever actually spend my own money buying a bottle of it.

  31. #31
    Plays with tools
    Reputation: customfab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    4,444
    I took the time to cut and paste the style guide lines for American Barleywines so those of you that are attempting to compare 120 to a barleywine realize how off base your comments are.

    19C. American Barleywine
    Aroma: Very rich and intense maltiness. Hop character moderate
    to assertive and often showcases citrusy or resiny American
    varieties (although other varieties, such as floral, earthy or spicy
    English varieties or a blend of varieties, may be used). Low to
    moderately strong fruity esters and alcohol aromatics. Malt
    character may be sweet, caramelly, bready, or fairly neutral.
    However, the intensity of aromatics often subsides with age. No
    diacetyl.

    Appearance: Color may range from light amber to medium
    copper; may rarely be as dark as light brown. Often has ruby
    highlights. Moderately-low to large off-white to light tan head;
    may have low head retention. May be cloudy with chill haze at
    cooler temperatures, but generally clears to good to brilliant clarity
    as it warms. The color may appear to have great depth, as if
    viewed through a thick glass lens. High alcohol and viscosity may
    be visible in “legs” when beer is swirled in a glass.

    Mouthfeel: Full-bodied and chewy, with a velvety, luscious
    texture (although the body may decline with long conditioning).
    Alcohol warmth should be present, but not be excessively hot.
    Should not be syrupy and under-attenuated. Carbonation may be
    low to moderate, depending on age and conditioning.


    Comments: The American version of the Barleywine tends to
    have a greater emphasis on hop bitterness, flavor and aroma than
    the English Barleywine, and often features American hop
    varieties. Differs from an Imperial IPA in that the hops are not
    extreme, the malt is more forward, and the body is richer and more
    characterful.

    Ingredients: Well-modified pale malt should form the backbone
    of the grist. Some specialty or character malts may be used. Dark
    malts should be used with great restraint, if at all, as most of the
    color arises from a lengthy boil. Citrusy American hops are
    common, although any varieties can be used in quantity.
    Generally uses an attenuative American yeast.
    Vital Statistics: OG: 1.080 – 1.120
    IBUs: 50 – 120 FG: 1.016 – 1.030
    SRM: 10 – 19 ABV: 8 – 12%

    Commercial Examples: Sierra Nevada Bigfoot, Great Divide Old
    Ruffian, Victory Old Horizontal, Rogue Old Crustacean, Avery
    Hog Heaven Barleywine, Bell’s Third Coast Old Ale, Anchor Old
    Foghorn, Three Floyds Behemoth, Stone Old Guardian,
    Bridgeport Old Knucklehead, Hair of the Dog Doggie Claws,
    Lagunitas Olde GnarleyWine, Smuttynose Barleywine, Flying
    Dog Horn Dog

  32. #32
    FX4
    FX4 is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    452
    Yes I have had the 120. Tastes approximately like a mouth full of soap and I like bitter IPAs. The Dogfish head 120 is just too over the top with hops in a bad way.

  33. #33
    Hi.
    Reputation: jtmartino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,868
    Quote Originally Posted by customfab View Post
    I took the time to cut and paste the style guide lines for American Barleywines so those of you that are attempting to compare 120 to a barleywine realize how off base your comments are.
    I also think it tastes a lot like an overhopped barleywine (or a really strong American Strong Ale) and I've probably had over 40 different American Barleywines in the past 6 months (I have about 35 left in the cellar I need to get through.)

    A lot of "American Barleywines" deviate pretty heavily from the style guidelines description. Check out Avery's Hog Heaven, Troeg's Flying Mouflan, SN Bigfoot, and even HUB's Noggin Floggin for some pretty hoppy barleywines.

  34. #34
    Paper Mill Aleworks
    Reputation: JFryauff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,484
    Quote Originally Posted by jtmartino View Post
    A lot of "American Barleywines" deviate pretty heavily from the style guidelines description.
    Truth!
    I read "style guide lines", and then stopped reading.

    <begin old man rant>

    I hate the fact that this beer was given a "style" at all.
    I think we all have to accept that some beers will not fall in-line to a specific style, and taste perception/comparison is going to be your best judge.
    The BJCP erks me to no end, but I guess to have fair and consistent competition rulings (for whatever that is worth), it's a necessary evil.

    <end old man rant>
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Winston Churchill

  35. #35
    Hi.
    Reputation: jtmartino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,868
    I have to retract my previous statement. I haven't had this beer in about 8 months until I tried it again last night. It does not taste like an overhopped barleywine, since I've had many American B-wines that are FAR hoppier.

    It truly just tastes like a boozy, malty barleywine with a mild hop presence. To hell with the BJCP - if you've actually tried this beer, and a handful of other barleywines, you'll know what we're talking about.

  36. #36
    Trail Rider
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    10

    Sasquash

    If you guys are ever up in Burlington VT, try going to Zero gravity brewery down town and try their seasonal brew Sasquash. It's a butternut squash beer and i was very skeptical, but it was awesome. I'm heading up next month to get a couple growlers of the stuff.

  37. #37
    Plays with tools
    Reputation: customfab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    4,444
    Quote Originally Posted by jtmartino View Post
    I have to retract my previous statement. I haven't had this beer in about 8 months until I tried it again last night. It does not taste like an overhopped barleywine, since I've had many American B-wines that are FAR hoppier.

    It truly just tastes like a boozy, malty barleywine with a mild hop presence. To hell with the BJCP - if you've actually tried this beer, and a handful of other barleywines, you'll know what we're talking about.
    The BJCP has it's place. There are many great beers that don't fit in a specific style. But to compare something like 120 to a barley wine is just asinine. It's high alcohol, almost double what your average barley wine has. It's also about 50% bigger in IBU count. I can't find SRM but it's probably half of what bigfoot or another 'typical' barley wine is.

    So like it or hate, talk about it all you want. It's nothing like a barley wine. It's not like we are drawing similarities between stouts and porters where the line is pretty murky. We are talking about games being played in different stadiums.

  38. #38
    Hi.
    Reputation: jtmartino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,868
    Quote Originally Posted by customfab View Post
    The BJCP has it's place. There are many great beers that don't fit in a specific style. But to compare something like 120 to a barley wine is just asinine. It's high alcohol, almost double what your average barley wine has. It's also about 50% bigger in IBU count. I can't find SRM but it's probably half of what bigfoot or another 'typical' barley wine is.

    So like it or hate, talk about it all you want. It's nothing like a barley wine. It's not like we are drawing similarities between stouts and porters where the line is pretty murky. We are talking about games being played in different stadiums.
    Asinine? How so? I suggest you:

    1. Get your facts straight.
    2. Try 120 Min.


    First, there are NUMEROUS American Barleywines with high ABV and IBU profiles similar to 120 Min. Bigfoot barleywine has 90+ IBUs, and even the BJCP indicates American Barleywines can have up to 120 IBUs. Guess how many IBUs 120 Min has? Yes, that's right, 120!

    Additionally, American Barleywines have higher ABVs than DIPAs. So 120 Min is closer to a Barleywine than a DIPA in terms of ABV also.

    In summary, 120 Min has an IBU count within the acceptable range of an American Barleywine AND it is more similar to an American Barleywine than a DIPA in terms of alcohol content.

    What, again, where you trying to argue?


    And for your edification, please see the following list of high IBU and high ABV beers classified as American Barleywines. Some of them are even higher ABV than 120 Min:

    American Barleywine - BeerAdvocate

    I'll stick by the facts that other American Barleywines I've had taste far hoppier than 120 Min. HUB Noggin Floggin comes to mind most recently.

    If you really want to get picky, it should be classified as an American Strong Ale. Coincidentally, the line between ASAs and American Barleywines is also very blurry, many of which also share similar flavor profiles.

    Have you even tried 120 Min lately?

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation: chrisgardner73's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    687
    I thought that I loved this beer when I first tried it a couple of years ago. However, I picked up some this summer...and don't think it's the beer for me. I love IPA's, but the 120 seems to tear my stomach up like crazy. I still have 2-3 left, so I'll give it another shot over the winter.

    I do agree that the 90s are awesome! Definitely one of my favorites! Their Punkin Ale rocks too!

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation: honns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    552
    Liked it, but it'll getcha real drunk real quick.

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    46
    Ended up finding a spot that had it in tap. I enjoyed it but it wasn't anything spectacular IMO. Not as bad some of the comments are saying in my eyes.

    Didn't think the alcohol was overpowering either. All in all, glad I tried it! Thanks for all the input

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    14
    120...one of the greats. I've got a sixer that's been aging for almost five years now. I am waiting for the Pens to win the Cup again to break it out.

  43. #43
    i'm schralping yer thread
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    839
    Quote Originally Posted by customfab View Post
    The BJCP has it's place. There are many great beers that don't fit in a specific style.
    Not to hijack this thread, but BJCP style guidelines made me think of this short interview with Elysian Brewing's Dick Cantwell at GABF a couple of years ago:

    Dick Cantwell on Judging

    FWIW, I've heard that many Belgian craft brewers think that obsession with strict style profiles is kind of funny.

  44. #44
    Hi.
    Reputation: jtmartino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,868
    Quote Originally Posted by GeePhroh View Post
    Not to hijack this thread, but BJCP style guidelines made me think of this short interview with Elysian Brewing's Dick Cantwell at GABF a couple of years ago:

    Dick Cantwell on Judging

    FWIW, I've heard that many Belgian craft brewers think that obsession with strict style profiles is kind of funny.
    Good link. A lot of guys who are really knowledgeable regarding beer think BJCP is pretty flawed, but there's not a better system in place at this time. The nomenclature regarding beer has changed significantly in the past 100 years, and something was needed to more accurately categorize beers for competition purposes.

    The big issue is that brewers don't really adhere to the guidelines, or there are new styles of beer that exceed the guidelines.

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation: One Pivot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    5,766
    Just had a 4pk of 90 over the weekend... its also not NEARLY as good as i remember. It doesnt even taste like an IPA, tastes like a dark. Its just missing the mark. I think im giving up on DFH, theres so many better beers out there, for much less cost.

  46. #46
    Hi.
    Reputation: jtmartino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,868
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    Just had a 4pk of 90 over the weekend... its also not NEARLY as good as i remember. It doesnt even taste like an IPA, tastes like a dark. Its just missing the mark. I think im giving up on DFH, theres so many better beers out there, for much less cost.
    For a long time, a lot of IPAs and DIPAs from other parts of the country had balance like DFH's 90 minute. Loads of malt and bittering hops, but not a ton of dry-hopping for the aroma. Once the rest of the country realized that aromatic IPAs are quite a bit more popular (because they taste better!) breweries shifted their efforts. Now you're seeing some of the best IPAs in the world come from those same areas. DFH continues to make their 90 Min the same way because they have a following for it, but they've also branched into more aromatic-based IPAs like Squall and 60 Min.

    I too am not a huge fan of DFH's beers - I don't like their house yeast or the way their malt tastes on most beers. Their dark beers, however, can be pretty awesome.

  47. #47
    Hi.
    Reputation: jtmartino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,868
    I just came across this informative and compelling post about how modern beer categorizations can be misleading, and the BJCP should not be taken as fact with regards to barleywines:

    So what IS the difference between barley wine and old ale? | Zythophile

    There are quite a few more criticisms of the BJCP. Here's one in regards to beer competitions:

    Brian Cendrowski » Beer Style Guidelines – Friend or Foe?


    Just some good reading while drinking beer.

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    42
    This is a beast of a beer! I think some of the negative opinions have to do with trying to drink it as you would a normal brew. First of all, it has four times the punch as a normal brew, so you need to slow down our it will tear you up. Secondly, make sure it is in a glass, preferably a snifter. I usually open one and share it with a fellow beer lover. IMO, dogfish is the definitive American IPA. If you are looking to kill six, however, it may be best to go with the 60 and nothing more. Even the 90 is a bit much for more than 3 or 4.

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    165
    I'm with wibbs. Not a beer to be drank like you would a 6 rack of PBR. It goes great with a nice steak dinner or your favorite pizza. Im usually good for one or two max of the 120 or even the 90 then I drop back to the 60.

  50. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    11
    I do not like any Dog Fish I have tried. Their ipas lack dimension. Adding a but load of hops does not make a good beer.

    Stone make fantastic ipa's. all that hoppy bitterness, but with a master brewery's understanding of balance and method.

    People think ipa's are where hops are the alpha and omega.

    And in my opinion, the real testament of a quality ipa is having that hop overtone backed and integrated with a perfect malt blanket.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •