Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Do cigars and mountain biking mix?

I've recently developed a taste for cigars and find myself smoking 1-3 a month. While you will expect to find cigar threads on beer or wine forums, I'm not surprised there isn't one on a cycling forum. Smoking and endurance sports certainly don't mix.

But is there any cigar interest in a beer forum IN a cycling forum?

Seriously, I'm wondering if anyone has experienced any negative effects of cigar smoking on their riding. Obviously, you don't inhale, but you are still taking in nicotine through your mouth. Nasty, nasty habit but OH so tasty!

2-3 a month? Meh...hopefully not a problem.
    I live with fear and danger every day. And on the weekends she lets me go mountain biking.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Re: Do cigars and mountain biking mix?

I enjoy pipe tobacco. I have 3 jars that have been aging since 2009. One is balkan#2 which is my favorite I have tried. I need to pop the seal on that one soon now that you remind me. It's been a few months since I've enjoyed a good smoke come to think of it. It's really hard to puff without sneaking in the occasional inhale for that punch. I like that rush/buzz. I don't smoke cigs. Used too but I hate them now. Even hate kissing a girl who smokes.

Cigars smell great but I just don't enjoy smoking them as much. And I hate taking my pipe to the bars and whatnot. Just makes you look like a tool. There are some people in my town who bring theirs in mouth on a fixie but they are as hipster as you can get its almost normal to see it now haha. Jesus its ridiculous.
    There's something about those long grueling climbs that gets my front end all stiff... And I'm not talking about lockout...

Quiet Professional
    I smoke cigars once and a while and smoked pipes in the past. I miss pipes, but cigars will do for now. I love a good English blend fairly strong in Latikia when it comes to pipes. For cigars I enjoy a nice maduro and sometimes I like a nice creamy smoke. The inlaws got me a cigar of the month subscription for the holidays and I get a nice package of 5 cigars each month.

psycho cyclo addict
    Unlike Bill Clinton, I do inhale a bit...

I do not get the opportunity as often these days but I definitely enjoy one on occasion (maybe 4-6 times/yr). My all time fav is a Monte Cristo #2 Cuban when I can get them. More typically I'll smoke an Aurturo Fuente Churchill or something a bit less pricey.

Sweat is just fat crying.
    A couple a month, usually after a few beers. Nothing like sittin' on the porch after a ride, shooting the sh!t, puffin' on a stogie.
    Mountain Biking Is Not A Crime stickers, free! (You pay postage. PM me for details.)

rider
    I smoke maybe one Illusione 88 a week during poker with my friends. I have an uncle who would light up a stick after every mtb race, mostly for his own pleasure, but also partly to piss off all the guys he was racing against. I think it's healthy to have a vice or three, it's the people who don't have some sort of release that I don't trust.

mtbr member
    I used to love a cigar. Smoking as the sun goes down and into the darkness. I loved it. Did it for a couple years. No problems. Then I started getting ill the next day. Never thought much about it because I didn't smoke a cigar all that often. Mostly when camping or something special. Pretty soon I started thinking about the times I got sick after drinking. Always a cigar. Not an outrageous amount of beer either. Then I got violently ill after one cigar and 6 beers. Over about five years, every time I got sick after drinking a cigar was involved. Last summer, I tried one last time and got one of those smaller cigars. Always fine brands, btw. No cheapos. I had 5 beers. I was in Yellowstone. Never been as sick. Violent. For hours. I won't ever smoke a cigar again.

Don't know what this has to do with smoking and mountain biking. But I miss cigar smoking.
    You're so cute internet tough guy. Noogie...Noogie...Noogie.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I smoke custom peach swisher sweets all the time. I can only imagine how great it's going to be when I can hit these Nor Cal trails and the blunt at the same time.

Undercaffienated
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinGT View Post
    I've recently developed a taste for cigars and find myself smoking 1-3 a month. While you will expect to find cigar threads on beer or wine forums, I'm not surprised there isn't one on a cycling forum. Smoking and endurance sports certainly don't mix.

But is there any cigar interest in a beer forum IN a cycling forum?

Seriously, I'm wondering if anyone has experienced any negative effects of cigar smoking on their riding. Obviously, you don't inhale, but you are still taking in nicotine through your mouth. Nasty, nasty habit but OH so tasty!

2-3 a month? Meh...hopefully not a problem.
    I love good cigars. I have a small humidor and usually smoke 1-2 cigars a month. Any kind of smoking, as you said, is bad for you, even if you do not inhale, but I smoke cigars very infrequently for them to have any significant harmful effects (at least I hope so!).

Rogue Exterminator
    I like a good cigar occasionally but I don't associate them with biking like I do beer.
    After a long ride, a beer hits the spot. The thought of smoking a cigar does not interest me.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

jrm
    mtbr member
    Sure as long as you dont inhale
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys

I've already had more than enough exposure to secondhand smoke for a lifetime. and it has already caused cancer once. exposure is cumulative and just because I got cancer from it once doesn't mean I won't get it again later.

so no, cigars don't mix with mountain biking...or anything else for that matter.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    A couple a month, usually after a few beers. Nothing like sittin' on the porch after a ride, shooting the sh!t, puffin' on a stogie.
    Agreed!

beater

I went through a phase that largely coincided with grad school that saw me smoking about 1 a week, maybe 2 if there was a reason/excuse. But for one reason or another that dropped off when I moved on, probably due to changing social circles as much as anything. I have a nice humidor, and there's probably 6-8 cigars in it that my parents gave me last spring, but these days it's hard to find a moment. In the summer, most of my neighbors have their windows open (I live in a condo complex) so I don't want to smoke one when I'm sitting outside with a beer or a cocktail and irritate them. And since I've gotten out of the habit, I just forget about it. I was ice fishing (or rather drinking and watching others ice fish) last Friday, and kind of regretting not thinking of bringing one along. Oh, well.

Since smoking has been phased out of bars, I've gotten so sensitive to the smell of smoke that I have to change and shower after a cigar. Makes it a bit of a pain.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

Laramie, Wyoming
    It always makes me look twice when I see someone smoking while riding.

To find people on here that supposedly "ride" smoking is just amazing. Am I sensitive to the topic? Yes. I found out that my breathing problems stem from having emphysema. Now, my emphysema is a somewhat rare genetic disease, but I can't imagine someone exposing themselves to something as insidious as smoking. Do people realize that lungs NEVER repair themselves from damage?

Does smoking and mountain biking mix?

Well, smoking and enjoying healthy living does NOT mix.

mtbr member

I enjoy smoking 1 or 2 Captain Black's (Pipe tobacco cigars) per day and riding my bike religiously. Meh to each their own.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Switched from cigarettes to eCigs a few months ago and never looked back - so glad to be able to breathe again.

I'll still have a cigar occasionally though - when the mood takes. Cigar and a campfire are a great combo. You're getting all that woodsmoke anyway so may as well make it worthwhile !

Lord Thunderbottom
    and now I wish I kept my pipe in my truck, thanks for the cravings guys

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by hmorsi View Post
    I love good cigars. I have a small humidor and usually smoke 1-2 cigars a month. Any kind of smoking, as you said, is bad for you, even if you do not inhale, but I smoke cigars very infrequently for them to have any significant harmful effects (at least I hope so!).
    This.
    2006 Specialized FSRxc / 2006 Redline Conquest / 2009 Specialized Allez
    Gone: 2002 Specialized Big Hit / 2004 Kona Stinky

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I love smoking, cigars, cigarettes, pipes, hookas, bongs, splifs,it's all good!

And to everyone on here complaining about health reasons, if you own and operate a motor vehicle you have no right to talk. 100 miles in a car expels more carcinogens than a smoker will in a YEAR of heavy smoking.

rider
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    I like a good cigar occasionally but I don't associate them with biking like I do beer.
    After a long ride, a beer hits the spot. The thought of smoking a cigar does not interest me.
    in the summer i always volunteer to sit in the bed of the truck on the way home. muscles are all worn out from riding, getting a nice breeze on a warm day, drinking a cold beer from the cooler, and smoking a stick on the way home. if only we could fit a hot tub and a bbq in the truck bed it'd be about perfect

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    i enjoy a Fuente short story sometimes out on the trail after a nice ride.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Im gonna have to say no on this one but I do enjoy a nice dip while im riding.

Quiet Professional
    Quote Originally Posted by trailconqueror View Post
    Im gonna have to say no on this one but I do enjoy a nice dip while im riding.
    How can you say no to cigars and still dip?

mtbr member
    I've been smoking cigars around 25 yrs now and currently enjoy 2-3 cigars a week. Never had one while riding on a single track, as it's something one does to relax. I'll ocasionally smoke one after a ride, just depends on if I finish riding in the afternoon and I've nothing special to do for a few hours. And a good craft beer can compliment a fine cigar quite nicely.....usually a good dark stout to pair with a medium/strong maduro like a Fuente, LaGloria series R, or Cohibe Behike habano. Add a side sip of Grand Marnier or Zaya rum........perfecto

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast