mtbr member

Deschutes The Abyss - Any Alternatives...?

I had my first glass of Abyss recently and it was absolutely amazing! I'm not much of a connoisseur, usually Fat Tire/Sierra/etc does the job, but I'm still thinking about this beer a week later.

I'm assuming it's not easily found/readily available locally (LA) in bottles... so anybody have any recommendations for anything similar that is widely distributed?

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004
    You're entering dangerous territory, my friend...

Almost too many good options if you're looking for BB-aged imperial stouts these days. It should be fairly easy to find Sierra Nevada's BB-aged Narwhal, Goose Island's Bourbon County Stout or Midnight Sun's Berserker. AleSmith's Speedway Stout is awesome BB-aged, but the "regular" version is pretty good as well. Likewise, Ballast Point's Victory At Sea is worthwhile, though an imperial porter rather than a stout.

But if you're in LA, you should just kill someone and steal their bottle of Black Tuesday (The Bruery).

mtbr member
    Thanks heaps Gee!!!

I will definitely check into all options mentioned above... and will have to stop at the Bruery next time I'm in that area!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    EVERYTHING I've had from the Bruery has topped my lists. We're actually planning on a trip out to visit there (as well as others) next year.

Try some of the more available Imperial Stouts (Stone, Widmer, anything local) and see how those fit your palate.

Beer Please! SuperModerator
    I second the idea to Try Victory at Sea from Ballast Point, not as rich as Abyss, but easier to get. Abyss is a smaller batch once a year release. I tend to only get one bottle a year.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EatsDirt View Post
    I'm assuming it's not easily found/readily available locally (LA) in bottles... so anybody have any recommendations for anything similar that is widely distributed?
    when you say "LA" are we talking Southern Cali or Weezy-Ana?

the Abyss is still on shelves in Whole Foods & other shops in Northern CA. i would assume it can still be had without much difficulty in the southern half of the state? a pretty solid alternative would be to keep an eye out for Firestone Walker's "Parabola" (not til March).

mtbr member
    I'm in Los Angeles... stopped by my local Whole Foods and unfortunately didn't find any Deschutes. I picked up the only barrel aged stout they had, Anderson Valley Wild Turkey Stout. Meh. Should have hunted down one of the suggested.

Thanks to all for the help!

mtbr member
    I'm in Los Angeles... stopped by my local Whole Foods and unfortunately didn't find any Deschutes. I picked up the only barrel aged stout they had, Anderson Valley Wild Turkey Stout. Meh. Should have hunted down one of the suggested.

Thanks to all for the help!
    i can't speak on Southern Cali distro. up here, depending on the actual WF location, The Abyss is something usually kept in the back or behind the bar if the location has a tap room. you might actually ask the beer person there. i was surprised to see a few bottles of Abyss out on the floor this year at a couple of Whole Foods i frequent. my understanding is it didn't sell out in a flash like it usually does - thus they're now putting it on shelves rather than forcing shoppers to request it under bottle limit.

up here, same logic applies for Pliny, Bourbon County & a few others. Whole Foods isn't going to shelve those highly allocated items with bottle limits. you need to ask & they'll bring out what you request up to whatever bottle limit they've set.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclotic View Post
    the Abyss is still on shelves in Whole Foods & other shops in Northern CA. i would assume it can still be had without much difficulty in the southern half of the state?
    Nope, it goes really fast and not much makes it down here. Normally only one case per store.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    Nope, it goes really fast and not much makes it down here. Normally only one case per store.
    yeah, that's been the case here as well, prior to this year's release.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    This year's Abyss is not that great to my taste buds. There's plenty of it on the shelves here in Oregon. Even the Safeway stores have it on the shelf. That's my way of saying ask around and see what else you can find barrel-aged in California. There's got to be some good stuff.

I would look for Alesmith's BA Speedway, Rasputin's BA Stout, or the Sierra Nevada Narwhal BA, which got mentioned earlier. Somebody has got to have one of those.
    Noogie...Noogie...Noogie.

mtbr member
    picked this up this afternoon:

mtbr member
    NICE!!!

What'd that set you back?

mtbr member
    NICE!!!

What'd that set you back?
    $179.00 total.

Where did you get a case of it? They must have ramped up production.

mtbr member
    that was my understanding - they ramped it up significantly - their distribution points increased into states like Ohio etc. recently too.

i got the case out of a Mom & Pops corner market & you know "Mom & Pops" don't tend to get stuff unless there is sufficient supply for bottle shops & the "big boys".

mtbr member
    I had Abyss this year for the first time and loved it.

Agree with the Victory at Sea and BCBS suggestions. Two other great options are Founders Breakfast Stout and Victory Storm King.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Uinta Labrynth and Prairie Bomb!... both are not made in near the quantity the Abyss is but they are damn tasty...

mtbr member
    Rum Barreled Victory at Sea is fab though it's not bottled as far as I know!

Quote Originally Posted by gas_pig70 View Post
    Rum Barreled Victory at Sea is fab though it's not bottled as far as I know!
    I wish it was, the Maple Aged one is fantastic as well, I have only had those at the Victory at Sea Day event at the brewery.

mtbr member
    btw i neglected to mention, i've seen 4-6 bottles of The Abyss on shelves at 2 different Whole Foods since our last back & forth on this subject.

mtbr member
    They must have ramped up production.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclotic View Post
    btw i neglected to mention, i've seen 4-6 bottles of The Abyss on shelves at 2 different Whole Foods since our last back & forth on this subject.
    Whole Foods - taken this evening.

mtbr member
    While I quite enjoyed the bottle of Abyss I had I'd take another Sucaba between the two.