mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Dehydrated beer?

Has anyone heard of it? I am a huge beer drinker and find that I cannot stomach enough whiskey to go multiple nights with out beer anymore. Yes, I know, brutal problem! Any help would sure make my time away from home more enjoyable...Thanks!
    Ryon
    ATV = fat A$$

Paper Mill Aleworks
    Are you going to space?
    I'm not sure I understand the context of your post, and how dehydrated beer is something you "need".
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Winston Churchill

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Let me create some context. Beer weighs a lot more than whiskey for equal "buzz" aspects. I do a lot of yurting in the winter time which requires me to hike long miles into places to ski, beer weighs too much so I drink whiskey. Whiskey ****s me up too much. I want dehydrated beer so I can drink and get my desired
    'buzz" aspect on and not get too ****ed up. Now, do you know of such a thing as dehydrated beer that works on earth....could careless about space unless the astronauts are tired of whiskey too.
    ATV = fat A$$

Self-defeatist
    Dehydration wouldn't work since alcohol evaporates faster than water. I recommend eisbock or other ice distilled beers. Maybe some Aventinus or Tactical Nuclear Penguin. If it were me I'd seek out the strongest beer i could find in a can. Glass is heavy and cans pack-out a lot easier.
    I'm covered in beer.

Beer Please!
    I don't understand the need to be buzzed while engaging in outdoor activities. I would think you would want water or gatorade to help you stay hydrated, booze has the opposite effect on you.
    telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

A guy on a bike Moderator
    I am suspicious that dehydrated beer, if such a thing even exists, would not be worth drinking.

If it's totally dehydrated (to the point of being a powder), there wouldn't be any alcohol--so you'd have to add alcohol, water, and carbonation. If it's just condensed (maybe to the point of an alcoholic syrup?), then you'd still have to add water and carbonation. And that's just to get the right combination of bubbles, alcohol, and water. As far as taste...well, I have no idea what re-hydrated beer would taste like--but I expect that it might resemble something a hobo might find in the bottom of the dumpster behind the bar.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Wow, tough crowd. I live in mormonville so I expect some of this nutty ****, but its also a beer forum on a MTB site! Beer is the new 2013 gatorade, and likely as healthy.

Klurejr, I want to go hike & ski my balls off and then get buzzed at night. Sort of like celebrating for not dying that day and preparing (telling ski lies about lines not skied) to not die the next. I enjoy over nighters with skiing and I hope to try out a few bike pack trips. It allows me into areas that I cannot go in and out of in a days (or two) time.

I am no chemist but all the explanations as to why it wouldn't work make sense to me. I was picturing something that you add water to in the rehydration process and possibly some sort of flavorless booze. What I am trying to loose is the water weight and the cans.

What about a beer syrup or concentrate? I pack in one gallon of syrup and it will make me 2 cases of beer.
    I will develop my taste for this stuff over time. Like the first night in.
    ATV = fat A$$

Beer Please!
    Quote Originally Posted by butryon View Post
    Wow, tough crowd. I live in mormonville so I expect some of this nutty ****, but its also a beer forum on a MTB site! Beer is the new 2013 gatorade, and likely as healthy.

Klurejr, I want to go hike & ski my balls off and then get buzzed at night. Sort of like celebrating for not dying that day and preparing (telling ski lies about lines not skied) to not die the next. I enjoy over nighters with skiing and I hope to try out a few bike pack trips. It allows me into areas that I cannot go in and out of in a days (or two) time.
    oic, you mean you want something light to carry in your pack for the end of the day, not something light in your stomach..... That is a different. I take beers with me on hikes all the time, and yes the glass + Liquid can be heavy. That is one of the reasons I am so stoked that more and more breweries are canning.

You might try swapping to canned beers for a bit and see if you lose enough weight to make it more feasible for you.
    telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Skip the booze, if you can't handle the weight. Weed, heroin, and cocaine are all relatively light and get you buzzed up good. I'd stay away from the meth though.

There's also some pretty sweet stainless steel growlers out there that weight nothing when empty. FIll one of those and pack it in and out. Not that big a deal.

Hi.
    This is the product the OP is talking about:

Pat's Backcountry Beverages ? Drink Resourcefully!

It uses a syrup concentrate that contains alcohol. You then add water and carbonation and viola, you have beer. Seems simple enough, although I'm not sure the beer would win any awards. Their proprietary bottle can carbonate the beverage for you.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Ok, all kidding aside, if they are making beer syrup, why not just put it on pancakes and waffles?

long time listener
    This is what joints are for.

Quote Originally Posted by bipolarbear View Post
    Skip the booze, if you can't handle the weight. Weed, heroin, and cocaine are all relatively light and get you buzzed up good. I'd stay away from the meth though.
    I've had a couple friends die from heroin and cocaine over the years, so those are probably good to stay away from too.

I enjoy a good beer every now and then, too. But if you need stronger stuff to enjoy yourself in the mountains, you may want to re-think your approach. Maybe try riding harder--few things leave me feeling better than pushing hard all day!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Re: Dehydrated beer?

Quote Originally Posted by TobyGadd View Post
    I've had a couple friends die from heroin and cocaine over the years, so those are probably good to stay away from too.

I enjoy a good beer every now and then, too. But if you need stronger stuff to enjoy yourself in the mountains, you may want to re-think your approach. Maybe try riding harder--few things leave me feeling better than pushing hard all day!
    Apparently, some people thought I was serious. That's unfortunate...

Quote Originally Posted by bipolarbear View Post
    Apparently, some people thought I was serious. That's unfortunate...
    Well, sometimes it's hard to tell. There are a lot of people who would post something similar, with all seriousness. Having had a former employee die from heroin recently, I'm probably looking through a somewhat different lens than you intended.

So excuse me for being so "unfortunate" as to not understand your sarcasm. I'll try to be more fortunate in the future.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    One time when I was preparing for a weekend kayaking trip with a buddy, I was in a local boating shop near the river getting some last minute supplies and maps. I mentioned in passing to the 70-something old sailor of a store owner that we had lined one of the boats forward dry compartments with insulation to make a beer cooler for the weekend, and he exclaimed to me "Beer on a kayak!?! Weed and Whisky's the way to go son!"

Just figured I'd share the anecdote.