Thread: Dawg Grog

ride the moment
    Just because you read a book it don't make you conscious. - MC Lush

Sweat is just fat crying.
    $36 for a sixpack. I'll pass.
    Mountain Biking Is Not A Crime stickers, free! (You pay postage. PM me for details.)

Beer Please!
    My dog likes regular beer.
    telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

Paper Mill Aleworks
    Well...I guess someone will buy it

Sad to see that it's pretty much directly associated with Boneyard Brewing out in Bend.
    Great beers, awful pet...yes I did...projects.
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Winston Churchill

ride the moment
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    $36 for a sixpack. I'll pass.
    Damn I didn't even look at the price, I just thought it was funny. Pretty sure my dog would rather have a $6 steak.
    Just because you read a book it don't make you conscious. - MC Lush

mtbr member
    Only in Bend, dudes. Only in Bend. Must...resist....Bend....rant. I'm looking less forward to my next pint of Boneyard's RPM.
    Noogie...Noogie...Noogie.

Afric Pepperbird
    Quote Originally Posted by bluestatevirgin View Post
    Only in Bend, dudes. Only in Bend. Must...resist....Bend....rant. I'm looking less forward to my next pint of Boneyard's RPM.

I wouldn't worry so much about it. The guy who created it is not a Boneyard owner, he is just a surly beer pourer. I know, I've met him. His people skills are a bit lacking.

Hi.
    Only in Bend, dudes. Only in Bend. Must...resist....Bend....rant.
    Actually, I would've pegged Portland with something like that before Bend, if I hadn't seen it myself first.

A Bend rant could be accurate if well crafted - I rant about my hometown all the time. But do it wrong and you'll step on more than a few toes (given the other members here who live in Bend.)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jtmartino View Post
    Actually, I would've pegged Portland with something like that before Bend, if I hadn't seen it myself first.

A Bend rant could be accurate if well crafted - I rant about my hometown all the time. But do it wrong and you'll step on more than a few toes (given the other members here who live in Bend.)
    Yeah my rant's are always wrong. In this case, just your garden-variety nativist, NIMBY stuff (well, I did get more complex than that in the Oregon forum a long time ago, but...). The same kind of love/hate relationship of all the mountain towns that have gone the way of the real estate developer. Must be very hard for you to see some of what happens in Bend if you came up there 20+ years ago. However, I know there is good too. And a lot of great people.

And yes, Portland seems more likely a place for dog beer.

Dirtfarmer, if you see this, maybe the surly Boneyard dude has met his niche with dogs if he doesn't play well with people.

Hi.
    In this case, just your garden-variety nativist, NIMBY stuff (well, I did get more complex than that in the Oregon forum a long time ago, but...). The same kind of love/hate relationship of all the mountain towns that have gone the way of the real estate developer. Must be very hard for you to see some of what happens in Bend if you came up there 20+ years ago. However, I know there is good too. And a lot of great people.
    Agreed. My family has been there since the 80s, when there were about 10k people in the city. We were one of the first patrons to Deschutes Brewery back when it opened.

mtbr member
    Agreed. My family has been there since the 80s, when there were about 10k people in the city. We were one of the first patrons to Deschutes Brewery back when it opened.
    Jtmartino, I don't want to go into a big thread derail here--I know too late--but I think Bend is unique in the lineage of pre/post "River Runs Through It" mountain town exploitation. I can't think of a single example of what has happened to Bend on so large a scale. As you said, Bend was around 10,000 folks not much over 20 years ago. Now it's what? 80 thousand? The real estate dive has really sent the culture into some even weirder directions too. Sociologically, I find Bend fascinating. Dog beer notwithstanding.

Hi.
    Jtmartino, I don't want to go into a big thread derail here--I know too late--but I think Bend is unique in the lineage of pre/post "River Runs Through It" mountain town exploitation. I can't think of a single example of what has happened to Bend on so large a scale. As you said, Bend was around 10,000 folks not much over 20 years ago. Now it's what? 80 thousand? The real estate dive has really sent the culture into some even weirder directions too. Sociologically, I find Bend fascinating. Dog beer notwithstanding.
    Yeah, not too many other places that got hit so hard and so fast. I mean, between September 2005 and September 2006 Bend had the fastest property value growth of any city in the nation. People did well on real estate and construction there, then the market dropped and people were left with nothing. I have a lot of family and friends who lost their jobs/businesses/etc. when the market collapsed.

There aren't many jobs and Bend. And most jobs aren't high-paying. People can't afford $400k+ homes, and just about the only wealthy people who are there now are retirees from out of town or people who lived there a long time. I'm glad it didn't become another Telluride or Jackson Hole, but it was sure looking to be that way for a while.

That said, the market is picking up and the economy is on the rise. Bend has not stopped growing, and soon homes will be expensive again. The people it's going to hurt are the locals with local jobs. People like brewery employees.

I think the city needs to get the dollar signs out of its eyes and figure out a way to keep the cost of living low, but that's just a pipe dream at this point. I'd love to live there, but the whole "no jobs" thing is keeping us away. Unfortunately we can't telecommute as easily as we'd like with our current jobs.

R.I.P. Pugsley.
    I still have this bottle of doggybeer that i bougt several years ago when my dog was still alive.
    And just as i thought, he didn't care for it.
    I already just thought of it as a bit of a joke so i didn't mind pooring the rest down the drain.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dawg Grog-dscn1783.jpg  

Plays with tools
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post
    I wouldn't worry so much about it. The guy who created it is not a Boneyard owner, he is just a surly beer pourer. I know, I've met him. His people skills are a bit lacking.
    I've meet him a few times, seemed nice enough. He's rocking a Vulture so he can't be that bad a guy.

As for Boneyard, I'm not buying any more of their beer till they move, maybe then they can get their constancy where it needs to be.

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by customfab View Post
    I've meet him a few times, seemed nice enough. He's rocking a Vulture so he can't be that bad a guy.

As for Boneyard, I'm not buying any more of their beer till they move, maybe then they can get their constancy where it needs to be.
    I've had Boneyard probably 15 times and never experienced consistency issues - which beers, in particular, have the issues? Is it at the brewery itself or at other places serving Boneyard beer?

Boneyard is in my top 5 favorite IPA-producing breweries on the west coast.

Plays with tools
    I've had Boneyard probably 15 times and never experienced consistency issues - which beers, in particular, have the issues? Is it at the brewery itself or at other places serving Boneyard beer?

Boneyard is in my top 5 favorite IPA-producing breweries on the west coast.
    RPM seems to be the most common. Hazy, dicetel and even slight oxidation. Pretty much all from taps around town. Not from freshly tapped or near empty kegs either.

They are blowing up and running that little cracker jack brewery beyond capacity and quality is slipping a little. Nobody really seems to notice though so why not? Hopefully when the new brewery is done they will have enough capacity to let things sit around as long as they need to.

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by customfab View Post
    RPM seems to be the most common. Hazy, dicetel and even slight oxidation. Pretty much all from taps around town. Not from freshly tapped or near empty kegs either.

They are blowing up and running that little cracker jack brewery beyond capacity and quality is slipping a little. Nobody really seems to notice though so why not? Hopefully when the new brewery is done they will have enough capacity to let things sit around as long as they need to.
    Definitely could be brewing issues. Could also very likely be dirty tap lines. Everything you listed describes flavors you could taste from dirty lines.

I hope that they don't screw the beer up when they move to the new location - it happens a lot when breweries scale-up to new equipment.

Have you tried the Notorious yet?