Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Craft Beers you cant stand?

I love any type of craft beer, mainly pale ales, wheats, and IPAs, I have even began to brew my own with lots of success.That being said, ive really only run into one beer I can honestly say I hated. Ska Brewing's Modus Hoperandi IPA, I normally am a fan of IPA's but with almost 11oz. of hops in this one, its a straight punch in the face, skunky and aweful.
    Last edited by jafstl38; 09-12-2012 at 10:31 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I didn't like it at first either, but now I like it. Pallets change over time. After a trip to SD, I came back and very few IPA's had enough oomph for me. MH still does the trick.

Paper Mill Aleworks
    Infected, or flat ones
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Winston Churchill

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by JFryauff View Post
    Infected, or flat ones
    Popped a bottle of Bourbon-Barrel Angel's Share last weekend. Totally infected, and not in a good way. That $15 375ml drainpour hurt.

The infected Boulevard Chocolate Ale I had recently, on the other hand, was actually pretty decent and drinkable. I guess it depends on the base beer and which bug gets into it...

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Just about everything from Millstream is pretty nasty

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jtmartino View Post
    Popped a bottle of Bourbon-Barrel Angel's Share last weekend. Totally infected, and not in a good way. That $15 375ml drainpour hurt.

The infected Boulevard Chocolate Ale I had recently, on the other hand, was actually pretty decent and drinkable. I guess it depends on the base beer and which bug gets into it...
    Had a Brett infected Deschutes 2009 Mirror Mirror a few weeks back. I thought it was great.

Flat, infected...if I paid $15 for it I'm drinking it.

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Hungus View Post
    Had a Brett infected Deschutes 2009 Mirror Mirror a few weeks back. I thought it was great.

Flat, infected...if I paid $15 for it I'm drinking it.
    Good to know about that Mirror Mirror! I have a couple bottles in the cellar I'm afraid to open, but the longer I wait the worse it gets Also have a '09 Abyss that is very likely sour as well.

The Angel's Share tasted remarkably like really sweet vomit. There's no way I could have finished it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    This is more of a type than a brand, but I have never been a fan of pumpkin ales. With fall rolling around it seems all anyone can talk about are the pumpkin ale releases.

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004
    I love Angel's Share. That is one of the sadder things I've heard today...

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    The one not in my hand. But, 11 oz of hops had to be really nasty

Paper Mill Aleworks
    Oh brother...had the same thing.
    Both a bourbon and brandy bottles I had.
    Couldn't drink them at all, it was a total mess.

I guess it depends on the base beer and which bug gets into it...
    This is very true!
    Mirror Mirror is a great example...Matilda, Guava Grove, and King of the Forest all tasted beautiful infected as well.
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Winston Churchill

banned
    Dogfish Head 120 Minute tasted like

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Fat Tire and most new Belgium beers. I appreciate what they've done for craft brewing and green brewing but there's something about their biscuit malt profile that I just don't like.

That said, I'll still drink it if it's there.

mtbr member

The Angel's Share tasted remarkably like really sweet vomit. There's no way I could have finished it.
    I was kinda joking with my previous comment. That's a real bummer. I don't know if I have ever had anything that infected. I've had one Angels Share before and it was...still (flat as a pancake) and boozy as hell but still enjoyable.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Radiophonic View Post
    Fat Tire and most new Belgium beers. I appreciate what they've done for craft brewing and green brewing but there's something about their biscuit malt profile that I just don't like.

I enjoy most New Belgium products especially their Blue Paddle and Ranger, but their fall seasonal "Red Hoptober" was not good at all!

Hi.
    I was kinda joking with my previous comment. That's a real bummer. I don't know if I have ever had anything that infected. I've had one Angels Share before and it was...still (flat as a pancake) and boozy as hell but still enjoyable.
    I'm the kinda guy that would still try to drink it. Hell, I paid for it, I may at least try to get a little buzz of it.

Ale Arsenal in San Carlos had it on tap recently (still may be there.) It was a killer deal at $9 for a 12 oz. pour, too. Delicious out of the keg.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I couldn't stand the bottle of Green Flash Belgian IPA I had. Not a huge fan of their regular IPA either. There, I said it. lol

I sweep myself
    I know they're not craft and most people don't consider them micro anymore, but in the last couple of years the big-batch Sam Adams I've had have been skunked.

Boston Lager is like an 80/20 chance of having to pour it out and just bought a six-pack of Octoberfest from which I've had to dump a couple. The rest I forced down. I suspect they are using a west-coast contractor that does not have good QC. Long time Sam drinker but I've given up and will just keep buying Lagunitas.

I'm curious if this just me, I'm tasting something that's been there all along and I never noticed or if others in the Southwest have found this same thing?
    "In the past few years there has been building up within me an obsession that the only way to piece of mind is to go somewhere in the desert, far away from things, and just sit down." - Ernie Pyle

mtbr member
    Flying Dog Gonzo Imperial Porter was probably the worst craft beer I ever tasted. One of the few beers I have ever dumped out. I am a huge Hunter S. Thomson fan and I bought this when it first came out shortly after his death. I really wanted to like it, but with each sip it got worse. None of us could finish a glass.

Beer Me!
    I have had a few duds over the years. I don't particularly like anything from Lagunita's. Not because they make bad beer, just don't like their "house flavor". Can't stand pumpkin ales due to drinking too much of them one night in college. I also hated the Stone anise Imperial Porter, but i should have known better since i don't like the black liquorice flavor.

I also feel my level of disappointment is related to the price. If I payed over $17 for a bottle I expect the beer to be unique and Delicious. If its "average" then i am disappointed, and if there are any major flaws like infection, carbonation, oxydization, etc... I will be disappointed. I will still drink it, unless its so bad its unpalatable like in JTmartinos case.
    "Any wheel size is better than sitting at a computer all day." -Myself

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Oh that reminds me... Stone's Belgium Imperial Stout... terrible considering how good the original is.

mtbr member
    Victory Golden Monkey and some stout by Victory (forget which one). Overindulged on the stuff at a Victory release event and, to make a long story short, spent the next day evacuating everything from my digestive system out of both ends.

I tried to drink a Golden Monkey about 8 months later and gagged at the first sip.
    Signature

beater
    Along the lines of what Radiophonic wrote about New Belgium: I respect the lead Oskar Blues took in canning, but I've never had one of their beers I liked.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by pointerDixie214 View Post
    I couldn't stand the bottle of Green Flash Belgian IPA I had. Not a huge fan of their regular IPA either. There, I said it. lol
    Man, it's not just you. Those guys are quickly getting outpaced by other breweries who know how to work with hops for things other than bittering.

I've been to Green Flash a few times in recent months and I'll be the first to tell you - they are quickly falling down my list for West Coast breweries. I'm not sure if it's their newer facility, but they just aren't as good as they used to be (or maybe everyone else just got a lot better.)

Afric Pepperbird
    Maybe I had a tainted batch, but Bear Republic's Racer 5 will not be bought again. It tasted so far from an IPA, I couldn't even begin to describe it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post
    Maybe I had a tainted batch, but Bear Republic's Racer 5 will not be bought again. It tasted so far from an IPA, I couldn't even begin to describe it.
    Weird. It's usually a very good, very affordable IPA.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Weird. It's usually a very good, very affordable IPA.
    Just tried this for the first time and I love it! Gotta say $11.50 for a 6-pack kinda sucks

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jafstl38 View Post
    I enjoy most New Belgium products especially their Blue Paddle and Ranger, but their fall seasonal "Red Hoptober" was not good at all!
    I really enjoyed "Red Hoptober" but then again I feel differnt suds for different tastes.

I have found that anything DFH brews that has honey or fruit in it, I will skip. It is way to sweet for my taste.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I dislike Magic Hat.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    The Racer 5 I had for the first time recently was so tasty that I've decided I'm going to give it a shot as my go-to IPA.

The worst craft beers are usually the one-off's that try to be too clever. For example, most the beers with "smoke" flavor I've had have been pretty bad. I also have no love for beer with cherries in it. Never had a good one. Rougue did one a year or two ago that was flat out undrinkable. If anyone had a cherry beer recommend that's readily available, I'd be interested to know about it.

Dude, got any schwag?
    Can't stand anything from Blue Moon. A friend brought a half rack back in June, and 9 of them still sit there gathering dust.

Life is too short to drink crappy beer.
    Billy

Speed is sweet, it's like an avenue to
    ... Shredtopia!

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluestatevirgin View Post
    The Racer 5 I had for the first time recently was so tasty that I've decided I'm going to give it a shot as my go-to IPA.

The worst craft beers are usually the one-off's that try to be too clever. For example, most the beers with "smoke" flavor I've had have been pretty bad. I also have no love for beer with cherries in it. Never had a good one. Rougue did one a year or two ago that was flat out undrinkable. If anyone had a cherry beer recommend that's readily available, I'd be interested to know about it.
    Most of those beers aren't actually brewed with "smoke" flavor, they're brewed with smoked malted barley. Rather than being dried in a kiln, the malted barley is dried out next to a fire and gathers the smokey flavor. Commonly known as a Rauchbier.

It's not that craft brewers are trying to be clever - it's actually a style that has existed in Europe long before the craft beer movement in the US.

Regarding the cherries - if you like sours, Kriek beers are lambics brewed with cherries. A lot of the good cherry porters, bocks, or other dark cherry beers are usually seasonal and/or not available on the West Coast. I know Deschutes and Bend Brewing have had cherry-infused dark beers in the past, but they're not regular offerings.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSchwagman View Post
    Can't stand anything from Blue Moon. A friend brought a half rack back in June, and 9 of them still sit there gathering dust.

Lucky for you, that doesn't even qualify for this thread as Blue Moon is not craft beer! It's brewed by Miller Coors in Golden, CO.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    [QUOTE=jtmartino;9707524]Most of those beers aren't actually brewed with "smoke" flavor, they're brewed with smoked malted barley. Rather than being dried in a kiln, the malted barley is dried out next to a fire and gathers the smokey flavor. Commonly known as a Rauchbier.

It's not that craft brewers are trying to be clever - it's actually a style that has existed in Europe long before the craft beer movement in the US.

Regarding the cherries - if you like sours, Kriek beers are lambics brewed with cherries. A lot of the good cherry porters, bocks, or other dark cherry beers are usually seasonal and/or not available on the West Coast. I know Deschutes and Bend Brewing have had cherry-infused dark beers in the past, but they're not regular offerings
    .[QUOTE]

Man, I make one comment about US vs. Europe beers and you really gotta bust my chops. More specifically, the Voodoo Donut beer is an example of a too clever beer. And the smoked malted barley beers I've had, though I admit to avioding them, have ended up tasting like liquid smoke. I love porters, but the smoked one's I've tried haven't done it for me.
    I'd be up for a decent Rauchbier, if you can think of one that's easy to find.

Beer Me!
    If anyone had a cherry beer recommend that's readily available, I'd be interested to know about it.
    Your question might be worth a new thread
    One primarily comes to mind:
    Brainless on Cherries from Epic
    Kriek is a type of beer specifically defined as having to be brewed with cherries, many breweries have done one. Many Belgian reds or Flemish ale's are also brewed with cherries. I have also had a couple cherry porters which are Delicious.
    "Any wheel size is better than sitting at a computer all day." -Myself

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004

Smoke and Cherries

I'd be up for a decent Rauchbier, if you can think of one that's easy to find.
    Not a US brew, but I'd recommend the Aecht Schlenkerla Helles if you don't like the heavy-duty smoke of a traditional rauchbier. Schlenkerla is one of the gold-standards for the style (the Eiche is incredible!) -- the Helles is unusual since the base is a lager, rather than a heartier bock or marzen. There's no smoked malt in it; all of the smoke flavor comes simply from being brewed on the same system that Schlenkerla uses for its other rauchbiers.

Not everyone digs it, but I think it has the crisp, vaguely blueberry character of a good helles; but with a hint of smoke that gives it some depth.

Oh yeah...if you're looking for a good cherry beer, I've got three suggestions:

- Cascade Flanders Red (Portland)
    - Deschutes The Dissident (you may have to kill someone for an aged bottle)

and the very best cherry beer I've ever tasted,

- New Glarus Wisconsin Red (New Glarus, WI)

All of New Glarus's product is outstanding -- totally worth a road-trip.

mtbr member

"Cherry" Beer

From my friends at Sante Adairius Rustic Ales...

"Love's Armor is a blend of two barrel-aged beers. Half is a Dark Farmhouse Ale that was aged in Pinot Noir barrels. The other half is a Rye Porter aged in Syrah barrels with cherries and brettanomyces. It was then re-fermented with wine yeast in the bottle".

Crazy good.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Hey all, thanks for all the info on cherry beers. I'll see if I can find some of them. But I derailed the thread, which isn't about cherry beer. Someone should start a cherry beer thread though. I just don't like sweet or cloying. To get back to the point of this thread, my two least favorite craft beers have coincidentally come from Rogue:

Voodoo Donut
    and this Chatoe cherry beer that I can't remember the name of because I tried to forget it.

I don't blame Rogue specifically because I haven't had any cherry or smoked beers that I like.

Afric Pepperbird
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSchwagman View Post

How did Blue Moon make it into a craft beer thread??!!?

By the way, The Dissident is on tap now at Deschutes. Hopefully will see soon in bottles.

mtbr member

This.

I think it's definitely a taste buds thing because some love them and will vehemently defend them but I think they're the biggest joke of a brewery ever and agree it has to do with their over use of some poor malts! I will drink Fat Tire on draft if that's all that's available over Bud or Coors.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    I've had bad batches of both Racer 5 and Green Flash. Fact I was turned off of Green Flash's beers for a long time until I gave them another chance and glad I did. The QC for them is in need of improvement. Bear Republic is usually pretty spot on tho but you could have gotten some skunked beer if you didn't get it in CA.

Cheers,

G
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

Hi.

By the way, The Dissident is on tap now at Deschutes. Hopefully will see soon in bottles.
    It's definitely available in bottles at both the brewery and brewpub.

Dude, got any schwag?
    How did Blue Moon make it into a craft beer thread??!!?

Sorry! My bad. It came in a fancy box & brown bottles. Seriously though, it really sucks!
    Billy

Speed is sweet, it's like an avenue to
    ... Shredtopia!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Not a specific brewery but a specific craft beer any hefeweizen. Taste like banana peels, they use a hefe yeast and more weat in the boil. Most of em taste so bad they put a slice of fricken fruit in em.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Man, it's not just you. Those guys are quickly getting outpaced by other breweries who know how to work with hops for things other than bittering.

I've been to Green Flash a few times in recent months and I'll be the first to tell you - they are quickly falling down my list for West Coast breweries. I'm not sure if it's their newer facility, but they just aren't as good as they used to be (or maybe everyone else just got a lot better.)
    Dang I half expected to get hung for saying that. Glad it isn't just me.

Hope all's well with you guys.

Bicycle Radical
    Lagunitas Hairy Eyeball was pretty bad.
    Free people must travel the road to productive social relations at the speed of a bicycle.- Ivan Illich

mtbr member
    Lagunitas Hop Stoopid nearly turned me off of IPAs...it was horrible. Felt like I was drinking Pine Sol. I love big hoppy IPAs and DIPAs but there was something truly missing there. And many years ago had a Henry Weinhardts (before they sold out) porter that was like drinking soy sauce, turned me away from porters for years.

mtbr member
    I know this is beer connoisseur blasphemy, but I just cannot stand Belgian style beers with the brett yeast. That sour wang to it makes me want to hurl. I don't like most wheat beers for the same reason, the sourness is a complete turnoff...way more than overhopping. My least favorite craft beer is Belgica from Great Divide. It was a Belgian style something or other that had that nasty sour taste to it. I called it "punch beer" as in, if you make me drink this I'll punch you. I just don't understand the appeal.

Rogue Exterminator
    Eel Rivers Ravens Eye Imperial Stout.

So bad, not only did I dump the bottle, I returned the second, and vowed to never buy another Eel River brew of any kind ever again.

Awesomist™

Quoted for truth, and honestly surprised at how many other people in this thread agree with the sentiment above. I have also thought it was something in their malt, but I could never put a finger on what specifically. Interestingly, their seasonal 2 Below tastes like Fat Tire with a decent malt profile to me, and has me puzzled why Fat Tire is the standard and 2 Below is the seasonal. But yeah, heaps of folks LOVE that Fat Tire. Not me. I can dig on a Ranger or a Trippel in a pinch though.

Quote Originally Posted by BShow View Post
    I dislike Magic Hat.
    This. Specifically Magic Hat #9, and moar specifically because it tastes like Fat Tire with peach flavoring added, poorly.
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmboarder View Post
    I know this is beer connoisseur blasphemy, but I just cannot stand Belgian style beers with the brett yeast. That sour wang to it makes me want to hurl. I don't like most wheat beers for the same reason, the sourness is a complete turnoff...way more than overhopping. My least favorite craft beer is Belgica from Great Divide. It was a Belgian style something or other that had that nasty sour taste to it. I called it "punch beer" as in, if you make me drink this I'll punch you. I just don't understand the appeal.
    Not all Brett beers are sour. Actually, sour/acidic flavors are not as common from Brettanomyces as other flavors, like horse blanket/barnyard/etc. Some Brett beers are not sour at all, but rather quite funky, like some types of cheese.

Brett may make acetic acid in its fermentation, but you may actually find a Brett beer that you like that isn't sour at all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast