Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Craft Beers you cant stand?

I love any type of craft beer, mainly pale ales, wheats, and IPAs, I have even began to brew my own with lots of success.That being said, ive really only run into one beer I can honestly say I hated. Ska Brewing's Modus Hoperandi IPA, I normally am a fan of IPA's but with almost 11oz. of hops in this one, its a straight punch in the face, skunky and aweful.
    Last edited by jafstl38; 09-12-2012 at 10:31 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I didn't like it at first either, but now I like it. Pallets change over time. After a trip to SD, I came back and very few IPA's had enough oomph for me. MH still does the trick.

Paper Mill Aleworks
    Infected, or flat ones
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Winston Churchill

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by JFryauff View Post
    Infected, or flat ones
    Popped a bottle of Bourbon-Barrel Angel's Share last weekend. Totally infected, and not in a good way. That $15 375ml drainpour hurt.

The infected Boulevard Chocolate Ale I had recently, on the other hand, was actually pretty decent and drinkable. I guess it depends on the base beer and which bug gets into it...

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Just about everything from Millstream is pretty nasty

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jtmartino View Post
    Popped a bottle of Bourbon-Barrel Angel's Share last weekend. Totally infected, and not in a good way. That $15 375ml drainpour hurt.

The infected Boulevard Chocolate Ale I had recently, on the other hand, was actually pretty decent and drinkable. I guess it depends on the base beer and which bug gets into it...
    Had a Brett infected Deschutes 2009 Mirror Mirror a few weeks back. I thought it was great.

Flat, infected...if I paid $15 for it I'm drinking it.

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Hungus View Post
    Had a Brett infected Deschutes 2009 Mirror Mirror a few weeks back. I thought it was great.

Flat, infected...if I paid $15 for it I'm drinking it.
    Good to know about that Mirror Mirror! I have a couple bottles in the cellar I'm afraid to open, but the longer I wait the worse it gets Also have a '09 Abyss that is very likely sour as well.

The Angel's Share tasted remarkably like really sweet vomit. There's no way I could have finished it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    This is more of a type than a brand, but I have never been a fan of pumpkin ales. With fall rolling around it seems all anyone can talk about are the pumpkin ale releases.

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004
    I love Angel's Share. That is one of the sadder things I've heard today...

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    The one not in my hand. But, 11 oz of hops had to be really nasty

Paper Mill Aleworks
    Oh brother...had the same thing.
    Both a bourbon and brandy bottles I had.
    Couldn't drink them at all, it was a total mess.

I guess it depends on the base beer and which bug gets into it...
    This is very true!
    Mirror Mirror is a great example...Matilda, Guava Grove, and King of the Forest all tasted beautiful infected as well.
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Winston Churchill

I'm your density
    Dogfish Head 120 Minute tasted like

"Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left."
    Ty Webb

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Fat Tire and most new Belgium beers. I appreciate what they've done for craft brewing and green brewing but there's something about their biscuit malt profile that I just don't like.

That said, I'll still drink it if it's there.

mtbr member

The Angel's Share tasted remarkably like really sweet vomit. There's no way I could have finished it.
    I was kinda joking with my previous comment. That's a real bummer. I don't know if I have ever had anything that infected. I've had one Angels Share before and it was...still (flat as a pancake) and boozy as hell but still enjoyable.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Radiophonic View Post
    Fat Tire and most new Belgium beers. I appreciate what they've done for craft brewing and green brewing but there's something about their biscuit malt profile that I just don't like.

That said, I'll still drink it if it's there.
    I enjoy most New Belgium products especially their Blue Paddle and Ranger, but their fall seasonal "Red Hoptober" was not good at all!

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Hungus View Post
    I was kinda joking with my previous comment. That's a real bummer. I don't know if I have ever had anything that infected. I've had one Angels Share before and it was...still (flat as a pancake) and boozy as hell but still enjoyable.
    I'm the kinda guy that would still try to drink it. Hell, I paid for it, I may at least try to get a little buzz of it.

Ale Arsenal in San Carlos had it on tap recently (still may be there.) It was a killer deal at $9 for a 12 oz. pour, too. Delicious out of the keg.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I couldn't stand the bottle of Green Flash Belgian IPA I had. Not a huge fan of their regular IPA either. There, I said it. lol

I sweep myself
    I know they're not craft and most people don't consider them micro anymore, but in the last couple of years the big-batch Sam Adams I've had have been skunked.

Boston Lager is like an 80/20 chance of having to pour it out and just bought a six-pack of Octoberfest from which I've had to dump a couple. The rest I forced down. I suspect they are using a west-coast contractor that does not have good QC. Long time Sam drinker but I've given up and will just keep buying Lagunitas.

I'm curious if this just me, I'm tasting something that's been there all along and I never noticed or if others in the Southwest have found this same thing?
    "In the past few years there has been building up within me an obsession that the only way to piece of mind is to go somewhere in the desert, far away from things, and just sit down." - Ernie Pyle

mtbr member
    Flying Dog Gonzo Imperial Porter was probably the worst craft beer I ever tasted. One of the few beers I have ever dumped out. I am a huge Hunter S. Thomson fan and I bought this when it first came out shortly after his death. I really wanted to like it, but with each sip it got worse. None of us could finish a glass.

Beer Me!
    I have had a few duds over the years. I don't particularly like anything from Lagunita's. Not because they make bad beer, just don't like their "house flavor". Can't stand pumpkin ales due to drinking too much of them one night in college. I also hated the Stone anise Imperial Porter, but i should have known better since i don't like the black liquorice flavor.

I also feel my level of disappointment is related to the price. If I payed over $17 for a bottle I expect the beer to be unique and Delicious. If its "average" then i am disappointed, and if there are any major flaws like infection, carbonation, oxydization, etc... I will be disappointed. I will still drink it, unless its so bad its unpalatable like in JTmartinos case.
    My Bike: FORM Cycles Titanium Prevail 29er

"Any wheel size is better than sitting at a computer all day." -Myself

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Oh that reminds me... Stone's Belgium Imperial Stout... terrible considering how good the original is.

mtbr member
    Victory Golden Monkey and some stout by Victory (forget which one). Overindulged on the stuff at a Victory release event and, to make a long story short, spent the next day evacuating everything from my digestive system out of both ends.

I tried to drink a Golden Monkey about 8 months later and gagged at the first sip.
    Signature

beater
    Along the lines of what Radiophonic wrote about New Belgium: I respect the lead Oskar Blues took in canning, but I've never had one of their beers I liked.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by pointerDixie214 View Post
    I couldn't stand the bottle of Green Flash Belgian IPA I had. Not a huge fan of their regular IPA either. There, I said it. lol
    Man, it's not just you. Those guys are quickly getting outpaced by other breweries who know how to work with hops for things other than bittering.

I've been to Green Flash a few times in recent months and I'll be the first to tell you - they are quickly falling down my list for West Coast breweries. I'm not sure if it's their newer facility, but they just aren't as good as they used to be (or maybe everyone else just got a lot better.)

Afric Pepperbird
    Maybe I had a tainted batch, but Bear Republic's Racer 5 will not be bought again. It tasted so far from an IPA, I couldn't even begin to describe it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast