Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Craft beers destroy my stomach

First, I am certainly not a craft beer drinker, I have them sometimes, but often just go with Coors Light, etc.

Anytime I drink more than 1 craft beer, my stomach is an absolute total @#$#@ loss the next day. What causes this? Am I the only one that this happens to? I always figured it was from it not being pasteurized or something like that.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Live yeast usually...
    My Rides:
    Mountain Cycle San Andreas VPS
    Mountain Cycle Rumble Ltd.
    Mountain Cycle Battery
    GT STS-2 Carbon
    GT LTS

Hi.
    What does it do to your stomach? The yeast in beer will make you gassy, but it will go away with regular consumption. Oligosaccharides in beer will cause the good bacteria in your colon to flourish, which may cause some other minor GI issues.

Beer Please!
    Budweiser is not craft beer.... I kid I kid.

Is this ALL craft beer you have had? All Styles? I know some people who don't do well with certain yeast strains.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

mtbr member
    Not all, but lots of it. Wheat beers are the worst. Basically just stomach cramps, diarrhea, gas, etc.

Beachside
    Jun 2012
    Draught beers can be the cause, as stated above. I had the same thing happen to me in Sweden when I drank färskt öl, which translates to fresh beer. The live yeast will "Activate" your digestive system.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by TiGeo View Post
    Not all, but lots of it. Wheat beers are the worst. Basically just stomach cramps, diarrhea, gas, etc.
    that's a terrible affliction to have.
    My Rides:
    Mountain Cycle San Andreas VPS
    Mountain Cycle Rumble Ltd.
    Mountain Cycle Battery
    GT STS-2 Carbon
    GT LTS

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TiGeo View Post
    almost sounds like symptoms of celiac's if they are worse for wheat beers. (please note i am in no way making any diagnoses). this is unfortunate; in my opinion wheat beers are some of the best around

mtbr member
    I tend to just go to the bathroom then continue drinking.

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by octanejake View Post
    almost sounds like symptoms of celiac's if they are worse for wheat beers. (please note i am in no way making any diagnoses). this is unfortunate; in my opinion wheat beers are some of the best around
    A lot of wheat beers have more suspended yeast in them because they aren't filtered.

Homebrew wreaks some pretty serious havoc on the GI tract for people not used to drinking it. Realistically the yeast is not bad for you...it promotes growth of "good" bacteria which keeps you healthy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    ...really? If anything, Coors Light, Miller Lite and Bud Light whips-up a dervish in my stomach over craft-beers and "fuller" offerings. Mexican (corn-based?) brews are culprit too. Makes the bunghole twitch with "Tourette's" and pucker-up like this lad >>.

Twin Six METAL Team
    Dogfish 120 Minute IPA tears me up pretty good, but I seem to be OK with the others...unless I indulge a little too much.

mtbr member
    Case in point; last night, I drank 5 CLs...no issue this morning. If those would have been micro-brew/craft style beers...I would be on the toilet writing this.

Workin for the weekend!
    Why not stop drinking that hippie beer and stick to something pasteurized?

Seems like there's more than enough good stuff out there to enjoy.

#Steamwhistle!

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by -Todd- View Post
    Why not stop drinking that hippie beer and stick to something pasteurized?

Seems like there's more than enough good stuff out there to enjoy.

#Steamwhistle!
    They still bottle in green bottles?

No thanks.

Workin for the weekend!
    Srsly?

More for me...!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    After reading this thread and enjoying a Harpoon UFO my stomach started to bother me. Need to stop reading negative things about beer.

mtbr member
    Having a CL right now...no issues.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I get indigestion from all the hops. But I suffer bravely!

mtbr member
    might be the alcohol content as well. some craft beers are the equivalent of a few coors lights.

Elitest thrill junkie
    CL is more like sody-pop, not beer. At best, it's a "beer-inspired beverage", much like wine coolers are a "wine-inspired beverage". In the case of CL, they decided to take out the good stuff and put rice in there in it's place, as well as filter it to the point of having the consistency of water. So now it's a very light cold "refreshing" drink, but not really beer. People like it because it's cold, fizzy, and if you drink 20 of them real fast, it gets you drunk.

I'd look into celiacs. As much as I like beer, it packs on the pounds like none other. I've become more of a whiskey and scotch snob now, but I do still enjoy a good belgian tripple from time to time.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Suicide seems like the logical solution. What a bad life only able to drink CL, and that not too often.

jrm
    mtbr member

hefeweizen beers do it to me as well

So do some Belgiums. If im drinking something heavy i drink a class of water with it. This helps my stomach deal with the hops or spices and it also keeps the hops /spices from taking over all the taste buds in my mouth so if i switch beers i can taste the difference. it also helps to eat something..almost anything.YMMV

Beer Please!
    Quote Originally Posted by jrm View Post
    So do some Belgiums. If im drinking something heavy i drink a class of water with it. This helps my stomach deal with the hops or spices and it also keeps the hops /spices from taking over all the taste buds in my mouth so if i switch beers i can taste the difference. it also helps to eat something..almost anything.YMMV
    That is good advice anyway, the water with each drink helps your system in general when drinking any booze, it also tempers the affects of dehydration on your system, meaning you have less chance of headaches the next morning......
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    If the craft beer you're drinking is "bottled conditioned", it has live yeast in it that hasn't been filtered out. This is done intentionally to carbonate in the bottle and may also add additional depth and flavor. A tip would be to put it in the fridge at least a day or two before you want to drink it. This will cold crash the yeast and make it drop out of suspension. Very gently poor it into a beer clean glass/mug and do not pour the final 1/4" of beer(mostly yeast) into your glass. Relax, enjoy, repeat as needed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast