Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    banned
    Apr 2009

Craft Beer (The BAD side..)--Example:Pliny...

just read that Pliny the Youngster is rated the Best beer ever (Huffington posts..) and a few other sites... Also the Elder is supposed to be #2..

--On the East Coast you just Can't ever get the chance to taste these!!

That is the ONLY thing I like about the BIG Breweries (Coors Light, Bud, Corona..) is that you can go anywhere in the U.S. and get a 6-pack..

I HATE reading (and hearing about these craft beers you can NOT get)

I also heard from my local Craft Company that Pliny is scaling back operations (so even the Cali. folks might find it hard to get??)

--Also I have tried the Seasonal beers (and liked them) then 3 months later it is gone!! Sometimes they never come back!!

--That is why I try to ONLY try craft beers that I can Always get forever (so to speak...)
    -------------------------------

p.s. I always figured why Anheiser Busch DOES NOT try to buy Pliny (Russian beer company) because they know they can sell those beers to everyone around the Country (or the Planet!)

--It would be like Colorado (on the East Coast) with allowing weed sales now!! I KNOW folks here would easily pay 5 times what Pliny costs just to try it...

since 4/10/2009
    um...right. while I've never had the opportunity to try Pliny, my local microbreweries offer plenty of tasty beer that I CAN get. I prefer seasonal availability. it means I'm NOT drinking the same shit all year round. My beer selection always changes, and I love that. some beers I seek at the same time every year because I like them so much. this is good. it means the brewers are using seasonally available ingredients, and making things that go well with the seasons. when it's hot out, I like lighter saisons, IPA's, wheat beers, etc. When it starts getting cold, I like darker, heartier stouts and porters and imperial IPA's and bourbon barrel-aged goodness.

so what if there are beers you can't get? there are beers you can get that others cannot. and they'd probably love to try them. Why not try to work out a trade? there are ways. not to mention some sites will ship to your state. I have done both and managed to get my hands on some things that I'd NEVER be able to try otherwise.

get your panties unwadded, dude. it's just beer.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Yo, just chill. It's just beer. Try this, drink fresh, drink local. Try some Heady Topper ? What area do you live in? There should be some local breweries and brewpubs your area. Start there. Yes, seasonals are just that. I'm in MA and we have a great brew scene here. The left coast can suck it. WE have beers they will never taste. Do you pine for the trails you can't ride? Be content in being present, just that.

banned
    Apr 2009
    Just beer?? not according to what I read (it is an experience...) and what did Ben Franklin say, "God made beer for us!"

--All I like to have is something I can count on.. Like the sun rises in the morning, like my NFL team will make the Playoffs next year, etc etc..

Most importantly, after a hard day of anything I like to come home, relax and have my drink that I want, PERIOD!!! is that too much to ask??

It is nice to change things up (I myself do like different things as the weather changes)--but I live on the East Coast (it gets cold and snows)---it don't even rain in Southern Cali (and is warm and sunny all year..) so I am sure those folks like everything the same (so to speak..)

--It is about NOT having access to certain things (and who in America likes that??)

Craft beers are just another way to deny certain people (geographically) the same experience as someone else.. Do you think it is fair that Only 2 states in America let anyone buy weed legally?? Do you think it is fair that only Las Vegas has Legal Prostitution??

A Lot of folks would equate the availability of things (like I just said..)

--All I am saying is that IT SUCKS!!! --the reason for my posts...

And it would be a good idea for the Big Beer companies to 'take over' these small places (and mass produce EXACTLY how they do it) and make things available to both..

p.s. that is like telling someone who can go to an Ivy League School (No, just go somewhere else that could be almost equally as good....)

Or telling America you can ONLY buy Mercedes Benz on the East Coast (and BMW on the West Coast..) PLEASE---------

mtbr member

I feel that there's so much good, unique beer out there now that there's something for everyone no matter where you're at.

I can get Pliny if I try hard to find it. But there's so many other local brews that I think (I'm not really a beer snob) that are just as delicious.

mtbr member
    Seriously, relax a little. Pliny isn't that mind blowing. I too can get PTE if I try hard enough. But my local breweries are cranking out tasty IPAs that are just as good.
    And I don't think PTY is that great. Way over-hyped beer. Its only ranked where it is because it was the original triple IPA. And its rarity. But its only rare because they don't make very much. My local nano-brewery makes a triple IPA that I think is better than PTY, and they make a lot less of it. Maybe it should rank higher
    FWIW, PTY is somewhat of an outdated recipe. Its actually made with hop extract oils, not real hops, because they could not isomerize enough BTUs to get the bitterness they were looking for. Newer triple IPA recipes are made with all hops.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

since 4/10/2009

Oh so you are just feeling entitled that you should be able to buy what you want when you want it? That's good to know.

Small batches are all about keeping quality high. They may not be consistent and some batches may be better than others but it is that hand made quality that really does taste better, even when it's not as good as the last batch.

Industrial food production has modern people convinced that consistency is good. It is not.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Brewtality View Post
    Seriously, relax a little. Pliny isn't that mind blowing. I too can get PTE if I try hard enough. But my local breweries are cranking out tasty IPAs that are just as good.
    Yep. This.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    This is why I hate beer ratings, obscure or hard to find beers that gets a cult following will always rate high. Nothing wrong with that but that's why you can't look at the scores. Pretty sure about 10 years ago Victory Storm King was the highest rated beer, now still a outstanding beer which never gets mentioned. This is a good time for craft with many, many awesome brews which I promise you can get your hands on so enjoy and don't worry about number chasing. If you happen to come across one, try it and enjoy.

mtbr member
    Glad I don't like IPA...I might be upset I can't get the best beer in the world and I'd have to shed a tear about it.

What I do shed a tear about is that I live in WV and beer selection here SUCKS! Both in the stores and the lack of microbreweries. Simply non-existent. It's sad for sure.

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by 247 View Post
    Do you think it is fair that only Las Vegas has Legal Prostitution?? [/B]
    Stay classy, trollmaster.

Knolliac
    1. Benjamin Franklin never said that.

2. Prostitution is illegal in Clark County (this includes Las Vegas).

3. Big beer companies buying out or "taking over" small craft beer operations is a horrible idea for many reasons.

banned
    Apr 2009
    For the record, here, in a letter addressed to Andrť Morellet in 1779, is what Benjamin Franklin actually did say:

Behold the rain which descends from heaven upon our vineyards, there it enters the roots of the vines, to be changed into wine, a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy.

(Source: Isaacson, Walter. Benjamin Franklin: An American Life. New York: Simon and Schuster, 2003. p.374.)
    --that is what he said, but he did drink a lot of beer at times (I grew up in Philly) and know that to be true. So I am considering his misquoted beer quote to include beer..

----------------------------------------------
    You can drive to the Bunny Ranch from Vegas (I know folks who have)--so 'close enough with that one..
    ------------------------------------------------
    All I know with Big Beer taking over--is that what happened with Sierra Nevada Pale Ale???

All I know is this stuff is in every store in America (and around the world also)---

banned
    Apr 2009
    well I am getting into Craft beers now and will just have to try things like Dogfish Head 60---and be happy I guess....

--Just sucks that the BEST rated stuff you cannot get..

--And yeah, whoever made that Entitlement comment (back at ya')---

Because I know if there were things you could NOT get here in America that you might take for granted (you would be concerned...)

----------------------------------

That is why I HATE MLB Baseball (and LOVE NFL Football and NBA Basketball)----Everything is the same (the court/field itself)--

Baseball fields are all different (like access to THE BEST craft beers)--

SUCKS!!!!!!! because you will always have those at Coor's field who can hit home runs more often (unlike in Boston and that Green Monster wall)------Please I might be wrong about that also (no need to correct me)----YOU KNOW whet I mean...........

--So just have a (second-fiddle) craft beer, and Chill on the responses (hating 247......)

Knolliac

I know what Franklin actually said. You horrible misquoted him in your previous post (actually made up something entirely).

Nevada is a state where prostitution is permitted. Not all counties and cities allow it.

Sierra Nevada Brewing is a privately owned venture and named a top green business in 2010. An award that a corporate beer conglomerates like Anheuser-Busch InBev will likely never get. And they will never produce beers of the quality and variety of a Sierra, Russian River, Stone, Dogfish Head, etc. Why, because the share holders only concern is making profit.

You can keep bending the facts to fit your needs/argument but that doesn't make them true.

mtbr member

I had a draft pint of Pliny the Elder last night in Philadephia. Monks Cafe. Not my favorite beer.
    --Reamer

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Hah!, and to think I thought this was going to be a thread about the craft beers out there that taste like shit. Don't get me wrong I like most craft beers that I try but once in a while I get one that just gives me that major blech factor. Just this past weekend, by the recommendation of a friend I tried Starr hill love. It was like drinking a rose in bloom. Need I say, blech. Right now I'm drinking Milwaukee best Ice. The good, 6.50 a 12 pack and actually has a little kick. But probably my favorite craft beer at the moment is natty green buckshot. My 2 cents for what its worth.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Well, at least there is Magic Hat #9 available at all of your area Fuddrucker's, 247. You and all your Fortune 500 boyz will just have to settle for a pitcher of The Hat and your choice of bun toppings until you can get your LA friends to trade you some Pliny for the Sam Adams seasonal pack.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Slow Danger View Post
    Well, at least there is Magic Hat #9 available at all of your area Fuddrucker's, 247. You and all your Fortune 500 boyz will just have to settle for a pitcher of The Hat and your choice of bun toppings until you can get your LA friends to trade you some Pliny for the Sam Adams seasonal pack.
    Thank gawd.

I ride bikes
    Learn how to brew for yourself and quit being a little ***** about it.
    '14 Marin Attack Trail C-XT9
    '08 Monocog 29 SS-Stolen
    '13 Marin MV XM7-Stolen

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by moefosho View Post
    Learn how to brew for yourself and quit being a little ***** about it.
    I was about to post something similar...

banned
    Apr 2009
    You do not the Fortune 500 crowd.. that 1%, those fools will leave you stranded on the side of the road driving their Porsche Turbo's.. My boy from L.A. would have $5,000 in his pocket at all times and NEVER pay for his $12 draft beer (at the clubs in Philly..) Never leave a tip, Nothing..

That crowd is like rolling with Tiger Woods (who NEVER TIPS)----those are Real Jerks!!

Next time I hop a red-eye out there to the Bay Area I am going to replace some Coors light in their Pliny bottles....

or chop up some McDonlads fish sandwiches in their Fishermans Wharf dinner (while they take call from Japan....)

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    You do not the Fortune 500 crowd.. that 1%, those fools will leave you stranded on the side of the road driving their Porsche Turbo's.. My boy from L.A. would have $5,000 in his pocket at all times and NEVER pay for his $12 draft beer (at the clubs in Philly..) Never leave a tip, Nothing..

That crowd is like rolling with Tiger Woods (who NEVER TIPS)----those are Real Jerks!!

Next time I hop a red-eye out there to the Bay Area I am going to replace some Coors light in their Pliny bottles....

or chop up some McDonlads fish sandwiches in their Fishermans Wharf dinner (while they take call from Japan....)
    Hey, I hear you, 247. The 1% can't be trusted. But who else is going to trickle me down some dough so that I can afford Magic Hat #9, or, better yet, the two best beers on the planet: Pliny #1 & Pliny#2. When I'm visiting my boys from NYC, I head on down to Wall St. and wear a sign that says: Will trade stocks for Pliny. I always get my hook-up.

banned
    Apr 2009
    Hey Slow... when I was a day trader on Wall Street that was when I had the Magic Hat#9 the first time... Best beer on the Planet.. pick yourself up some quick...

You need something to drink, bro...

Let me know when you come up to Manhattan, I'll take you out with my old boys' to a spot up there you might like.....

in fact come down to Philly, I drive up to Trenton and catch the train.. I have to take my (old Beamer) out Friday to get it detailed..

Gonna trade this bad boy in for last years M3.... Plus white was too hard keeping clean...

I want t0 get a MAGIC HAT#9 sticker on the bumper also...

p.s. My Boy's from L.A. LOVED the rims on my whip.... must be a West Coast Thing (I do not understand..) the 5-stars I wanted were aluminum and bent to easily...

--ALSO this is my 10%er ride... So there will be no trickle down of my funds to you bro....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Craft Beer (The BAD side..)--Example:Pliny...-eric-philly-bmw.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Hey Slow... when I was a day trader on Wall Street that was when I had the Magic Hat#9 the first time... Best beer on the Planet.. pick yourself up some quick...

Let me know when you come up to Manhattan, I'll take you out with my old boys' to a spot up there you might like.....
    Watch for the man wearing the Pliny sign.

Paper Mill Aleworks
    --On the East Coast you just Can't ever get the chance to taste these!!
    False.

I live in the same area as you, and thanks to a few beer loving Philadelphianites, such as Tom Peters of Monk's Cafe...we will occasionally get keg's of both PtE (regularly) and PtY (once a year obviously) to the area.

As for Younger specifically...it will be on tap at a few select bars starting in March...it's a bit of a pain to get sometimes, but sometimes not. I've been able to get it the past three years without much issue, just have to know where and when to go.

As for the rest of your tin-foil hat, RT headline driven ramblings...I didn't read it, but feel free to PM me if you have specific Philly area beer inquiries. It might save you some of the keyboard lashings, unless it is in fact a troll move.

Cheers!
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Winston Churchill

mtbr member

in fact come down to Philly, I drive up to Trenton and catch the train.. I have to take my (old Beamer) out Friday to get it detailed..

Gonna trade this bad boy in for last years M3.... Plus white was too hard keeping clean...

I want t0 get a MAGIC HAT#9 sticker on the bumper also...

p.s. My Boy's from L.A. LOVED the rims on my whip.... must be a West Coast Thing (I do not understand..) the 5-stars I wanted were aluminum and bent to easily...

--ALSO this is my 10%er ride... So there will be no trickle down of my funds to you bro....
    Life on Planet Mongo....

Beer Please! SuperModerator
    24/7 - I think we all know by now you really enjoy ranting on the MTBR forums, perhaps even on other websites, but you might want to do some research so your side of the argument holds some accuracy. In this case it has been proven that 1> Russian River's Pliny the Elder and Younger are NOT the best beers in the world, no matter how they are rated by ratebeer.com, Beeradvocate.com or anyone else.

In fact IMO this is the absolutely best list of top five beers ever, and I dare anyone to disagree with me on this:

The Top 5 Beers in the World

1. The Beer Thatís In Your Hand
    If you have a beer in your hand, you are doing pretty good. Sure, it might not be the best beer youíve ever had, but it beats having no beer in your hand.
    When people ask me my favorite beer, this is generally always my answer. I love drinking new beers all the time and if I have one in hand, Iím happy. You should be too.
    2. The Beer Youíre Having Next
    Whatís better than the beer youíre drinking? The one thatís coming next of course. When you have a beer thatís about to be finished and you have the knowledge of what youíll be drinking after, itís a beautiful feeling.
    3. The Best Beer You Can Remember
    Everyone has a handful of beers that give them a happy feeling when thinking back on it. It might not exactly be the best technically crafted beer in the world, but to you it makes you happy. For me Boneyard Hop Venom Double IPA is one of my favorites. Itís an amazing beer, yet it isnít sitting on the top of Beer Advocate. Regardless of that, every time I drink it I smile. I remember back to the delight of my first sip and how excited I was with that first taste of its floral goodness.
    4. The Beer Thatís Free
    Admit it, free beer just tastes good. Maybe you received a gift from a friend of an amazing beer or an invite to a party where there is plenty of tasty craft beer flowing freely. In my opinion that is generally some of the best beer in the world. Sure, sometimes it sucks (like when I got invited to a private suite at a Chicago Cubs game and the unlimited beer consisted of Bud, Miller, and Coors), but you donít have to pay for it. Most the time if youíre a craft beer fan, the free beer is a lot better quality than that.
    5. The Beer You Made
    I believe everyone who loves craft beer should brew at least one beer to help appreciate the craft. I canít think of any better hobby than homebrewing. What other hobby can even come close to drinking beer at the same time youíre making beer. While not every beer you brew will turn into a top 5 beer in the world, the fact that you made it makes it pretty awesome. Plus the more practice you get brewing the better your beers will become.
    /thread
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

Know these before you post:
    http://www.mtbr.com/guidelinescrx.aspx

squish, squish in da fish
    drive your 90's beemer west and buy your choice of beer, oh and stop being a b!tch. i do love your trolling though

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Craft beers are just another way to deny certain people (geographically) the same experience as someone else...

And it would be a good idea for the Big Beer companies to 'take over' these small places (and mass produce EXACTLY how they do it) and make things available to both..
    You will be happy to know that the major breweries are in fact buying up a lot of craft beer companies. Companies like Leinenkugle, Blue Moon, Red Hook, Goose Island and others are all owned by big breweries. You might want to read this. Who Really Owns Your Craft Beer? | TIME.com

I also find it interesting how you desire all the small craft breweries to be taken over by the big breweries so you can 'get your share' while in the next post your bad mouthing the same 1% you want to do this big favor for you.

If you want a better beer go and brew it. Then you can cover the cost of shipping it all across America and the world so every thing is 'fair' and no one is left out. You seem to think it is a small task and should be done to be 'fair' to everyone. So go ahead and do it. Quit whining about not getting your fair share, get off your lazy derriere and do what you want others to do for you. This is America. If you have a better idea you take action and you build what no one else could. Or are you just here to complain about the work others do?

Your demand for entitlement is disgusting.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Fargo1 View Post
    Your demand for entitlement is disgusting. Its people like you who voted for Obama and now my health insurance premium doubled and at the same time my deductible also doubled. So I have to pay twice as much for half as much. I can no longer afford my health insurance and will have to drop it and pay the penalty. But I'm sure your kind will feel that some how justice was done in this.
    I'll take a 247 troll over this kind of troll any day. At least 247 likes to have a good time. Trolling a beer forum to rant about Obama is pretty much bottom of the barrel trolling.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Sorry guys. I was just going through my mail today and recieved notice that my insurance policy was doubled due to Obamacare. (Yes it was specifically stated it was done to meet the requirements of the new law.) Its pretty much the only thing on my mind right now. I'll edit.

I hate sugar sand.
    Nov 2007
    This thread has taken a weird turn.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by DoinkMobb View Post
    This thread has taken a weird turn.
    Yeah that was my fault. I was pretty distraught yesterday after finding out about my insurance. I maybe should have had my craft beer before I posted! I did have an ale from the Red Lodge brewing in MT afterword though and was able to mellow out a bit. I picked them up this winter on a trip through MT.

Unlike the original poster I actually like that I can't get some beers where I live. I find it very enjoyable to try new beers when visiting a new place. Its that uniqueness that makes them great.

For example, it used to be a treat for me to visit CO and try some of the fine beers from places like the New Belgium brewery. But now that I can get them here in ND I seldom buy them. They are really not that much better than many other beers on the shelf. But when I couldn't get them they were great. Deshutes brewery out of Oregon was the same way. I loved their beer when visiting my fiancee out there many years ago. Even toured the brewery. But now that I can get it here, I seldom buy it. Don't get me wrong. I love that these beers are here and available to me. They just loose some of that special appeal once they are readily available. Not to mention there are so many great beers on the shelves I don't drink enough to try half of them. So I seldom buy the same beer twice. But I am glad they are there and I have all those options.

Unlike the OP I actually go out of my way to avoid any beer made by the big manufacturer. First off most of its not as good as others. You can tell they are more focused on quantity and profitiablity than quality. Most have also been taste tested to reach a wider audience for greater sales instead of just letting the beer be what it is. All of which leads to an inferior beer in my opinion. Secondly I like to support the little breweries because I want them to stick around. Like I said, I love the variety that I now have. I would hate to have to go back to the days when your only choices were Miller, Bud, or Coors. So heres to small breweries!

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Fargo1 View Post
    Sorry guys. I was just going through my mail today and recieved notice that my insurance policy was doubled due to Obamacare. (Yes it was specifically stated it was done to meet the requirements of the new law.) Its pretty much the only thing on my mind right now. I'll edit.
    Health insurance companies are just using that as another excuse to be *******s. It sucks, but be careful where you place your blame.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    Health insurance companies are just using that as another excuse to be *******s. It sucks, but be careful where you place your blame.
    No question rate increases happen. Insurance companies don't need to make excuses for that. Its understandable as health cost increase. But to completely drop a product and replace it with one that is twice the cost is not the norm. They know their clients will move elsewhere to get different insurance if they do that. They spelled it out pretty clearly that the previous policy was no longer acceptable because of Obama Care. It wasn't just a rate increase. My policy has been completely changed and I can't get another policy like I had. So I think the blame is rightly placed on Obama care. Even Obama has since stated that some policies will be canceled due to the law.

I'm not the only one who has lost his policy. There are more people without insurance now since Obamacare took effect than there was before it became law. And there will be even more when the rest of the law comes into effect. Which was conveniently pushed back until after the next round of elections.

Sorry to take us off topic. I was just really having a bad day yesterday when this happened. I haven't had much luck finding any other insurance policies yet either. But I'm learning to deal with it and I will eventually find a loop hole to get around Obamacare. Theres got to be a way.

banned
    Feb 2014
    here is my question:

My Favorite (of all time beer) is Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.. Now is that somehow now a Big Brewery?

You can get this stuff everywhere (Walmart) and even local gas stations have this stuff (which is great by the way.)

but for the first ever craft beer that is 35 years old now they are everywhere like Bud and Coors light..

How can they do this (being one of the Top 10 Craft beers ever) and Pliny and certain others can't??

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale - Top 10 Craft Beers - Best | Gayot

I always wondered why NOT want to grow as a business? they (Pliny)have the most sought after beer now that no one can get.

I know about quality, etc. and if you tried brewing Pliny in Florida (with different water and climate) it might not taste the same. But Sierra Nevada managed to do it...

--But Yeah, does suck when the top 20 beers on Beer Advocate you cannot get in my area!!

beater

I'd bet that Beer Advocate or any of the other similar outlets haven't tasted most of my favorite Montana beers, and I couldn't care less if they did. I have no interest in buying a bottled beer with a reputation. It still tastes like a commodity compared to something fresh and local.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Glad to see you back, 247. Got a new account, heh? Guess whoever runs this place decided you were just keeping it too real, sock puppet or not. Thanks for the positive rep. A man hasn't lived until he gets pos repped from 247. Now that I feel like one of your boys on the West Coast, you stop on by anytime you're out my way and we'll score some Pliny and have a Fast & the Furious marathon.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 247 (2) View Post
    here is my question:

My Favorite (of all time beer) is Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.. Now is that somehow now a Big Brewery?

You can get this stuff everywhere (Walmart) and even local gas stations have this stuff (which is great by the way.)

but for the first ever craft beer that is 35 years old now they are everywhere like Bud and Coors light..

How can they do this (being one of the Top 10 Craft beers ever) and Pliny and certain others can't??

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale - Top 10 Craft Beers - Best | Gayot

I always wondered why NOT want to grow as a business? they (Pliny)have the most sought after beer now that no one can get.

I know about quality, etc. and if you tried brewing Pliny in Florida (with different water and climate) it might not taste the same. But Sierra Nevada managed to do it...

--But Yeah, does suck when the top 20 beers on Beer Advocate you cannot get in my area!!
    If you have a product that people will clamor over, one strategy to make money on it is to keep production down, sell it for more, and make people wait in line to get it. Keeps the mystique and the desire high from the consumers. they've certainly got you hooked and you've never had it before.

another way is to make more.

but one issue with increasing your production is that quality is likely to suffer once you reach a certain point. when that starts to happen, you're going to start to lose certain customers.

some of my favorite breweries in town don't even bottle their beer. I can get it on tap at a couple of locations and get growler fills if I want to take it home. the taps rotate and I love it. variety is the spice of life and all of that.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I had to wait in line for Pliny the Younger there were I think four maybe five guys ahead of me. It was one of the best beers I have ever had. The only problem was they ran out after my second one. Cheers

banned
    Feb 2014
    yeah I learned all about marginal utility (Economics minor) in College..

But this stuff would probably be sold out even if they mass-produced...

Like that Franklin BBQ guy in Austin Texas (the one on the commercials, best BBQ ever!)

He bought his old employers BBQ ovens and makes as much product as humanly possible and still has 3 hour lines at all times!

I know for bottles (to be sold around the Country) they could easily charge double and still be sold out (or have a 3-month waiting list.) You would not believe what a craft beer store owner would give me for some Pliny bottles!!!!

here is my question:

Big and Craft are not exclusive.

Sierra Nevada is a Craft Brewery, Coors and Bud are part of huge corporations that own many different brands and have very different philosophies and work ethics.

Pliny the Elder can easily be had in your part of the nation if you really want it. Heck, I will pick some up for you and do a trade if you really need to have some. The ratings are mostly hype, don't buy into them(see my earlier post about the 5 best beers in the world).

Pliny the younger, while very good is also way over-hyped, so are some beers from the East coast.... Pliny the Younger, like many beers from many breweries is Keg only, that way the brewery can control how fresh it is served. If they bottled it and someone sold a 5 year old bottle on the black/grey market it would not live up the quality standards set out for it, such is the way with the IPA world.

Also, Sierra Nevada is not brewing in Florida, they are brewing in North Carolina in a area that is known to have a water PH balance almost exactly like that of Chico, CA where they are headquartered. I am sure they are still doing some filtration of the water to get the profiles from the two breweries as close as possible.

Why does't Vinny at Russian River allow a bunch of investors into his company so he can go nationwide with Pliny the Younger? Who cares? It is his business and he can keep it smaller and family owned if he wants to. Just because he has a product that is over-hyped (his sours are a much better offering IMO) does not mean he MUST change his business practices or philosophies. That is kinda the heart and soul of Craft beer, each company is free to do as they please and not be forced by any board members or powerful investors to make a quick buck.
    So of the best beer I have had was brewed in a garage or only available on tap at the pub the made it. I have also had some great beers from Sierra Nevada, Boston Beer Company and New Belgium.

banned
    Feb 2014
    I love the fact that they put the date brewed on every bottle!

but yeah, most things you might try usually don't live up to the hype (drink wise)--not really food wise though..

I love the fact that they put the date brewed on every bottle!
    Yeah a number of breweries have been doing that for quite a while now. It is important to drink certain styles while they are fresh, basically any style that is trying to accentuate the hops via some sort of dry hop technique.

Other styles are designed to age, and many get better as they get older. I have a fridge where I keep such beers. While I am a collector, I am not a big drinker, meaning I do not go buy six packs and down them in an evening or two.

banned
    Feb 2014
    Yeah a number of breweries have been doing that for quite a while now.
    Not Corona! though that is a sour tasting flavorless beer anyway. I have had to return more than a few bottles of that (just buying at places where you have seen cobwebs on certain doors, and dirt in the bottom of the 6-packs themselves.)---and I have seen refrigeration at certain stores selling 6-packs that were so bad that the windows of the walk-in coolers had about 1/4 inch of 'dew' dripping off them in the inside (and all the wrappers around the beers halfway fell off!)

There are 2 places I frequented in Central Pa. that just sold ZERO micro/craft beers, but had them there. One of the places had the craft/micro's on the top shelf but were so soggy in those coolers that the beers were literally 'falling through' the bottom of the 6-pack! You could see how 'warped' the wrapping was on the bottom of the holder!

I have even had 6-packs of beers that had 2 labels pasted on one (from falling off another one I guess?)

--It is like going to buy ice cream on sale at certain stores and seeing all the freezer burn in them when you open them up! nasty stuff....

Yeah, all of those need a born-on date (especially the ice cream)--not just a sell-by date that could be 2 years later! --because with the freezer abnormalities you always get the freezer-burn ones on sale (guessing why they are on sale..)

You are taking serious chances of getting a ruined beer anytime it is in clear glass instead of some dark glass. Even darker brown glass can allow light contamination. Corona would need to be kept in dark cool place to stay fresh and not get light contamination.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    FWIW, myself and my brew buddies have a PtE clone fermenting as we speak. It was an incredibly complex brew to assemble and required a lot of attention during every step. I'm sceptical as to how close we'll even get to replicating it. This really isn't a beer that would adapt well to the assembly line process of mass produced beers anyway.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    To be brutally honest I did not read through most of these posts.
    However, true beer snobs will go to great lengths to try some of the best.
    For example: After Russian River won the best beer in 2012 with Pliny the Elder I had to try it.
    So Shortly thereafter I got married and my wife and I went on our honey moon.
    This just happened to be a drive up the pacific coast highway.
    We went went a little out of our way to stop at Russian River in Santa Rosa CA. Just so I could have this beer.
    It was good and will always remain one of my top five beers even though I "can't" get it in Ohio.
    However, once again, I have friends all over and they do manage to get a bottle every now and then.
    The rarity makes it all that much enjoyable.

banned
    Feb 2014
    Now it Really sucks that you cannot find these anywhere/at all for everyone!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast