Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    banned
    Apr 2009

Craft Beer (The BAD side..)--Example:Pliny...

just read that Pliny the Youngster is rated the Best beer ever (Huffington posts..) and a few other sites... Also the Elder is supposed to be #2..

--On the East Coast you just Can't ever get the chance to taste these!!

That is the ONLY thing I like about the BIG Breweries (Coors Light, Bud, Corona..) is that you can go anywhere in the U.S. and get a 6-pack..

I HATE reading (and hearing about these craft beers you can NOT get)

I also heard from my local Craft Company that Pliny is scaling back operations (so even the Cali. folks might find it hard to get??)

--Also I have tried the Seasonal beers (and liked them) then 3 months later it is gone!! Sometimes they never come back!!

--That is why I try to ONLY try craft beers that I can Always get forever (so to speak...)
    -------------------------------

p.s. I always figured why Anheiser Busch DOES NOT try to buy Pliny (Russian beer company) because they know they can sell those beers to everyone around the Country (or the Planet!)

--It would be like Colorado (on the East Coast) with allowing weed sales now!! I KNOW folks here would easily pay 5 times what Pliny costs just to try it...

um...right. while I've never had the opportunity to try Pliny, my local microbreweries offer plenty of tasty beer that I CAN get. I prefer seasonal availability. it means I'm NOT drinking the same **** all year round. My beer selection always changes, and I love that. some beers I seek at the same time every year because I like them so much. this is good. it means the brewers are using seasonally available ingredients, and making things that go well with the seasons. when it's hot out, I like lighter saisons, IPA's, wheat beers, etc. When it starts getting cold, I like darker, heartier stouts and porters and imperial IPA's and bourbon barrel-aged goodness.

so what if there are beers you can't get? there are beers you can get that others cannot. and they'd probably love to try them. Why not try to work out a trade? there are ways. not to mention some sites will ship to your state. I have done both and managed to get my hands on some things that I'd NEVER be able to try otherwise.

get your panties unwadded, dude. it's just beer.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Yo, just chill. It's just beer. Try this, drink fresh, drink local. Try some Heady Topper ? What area do you live in? There should be some local breweries and brewpubs your area. Start there. Yes, seasonals are just that. I'm in MA and we have a great brew scene here. The left coast can suck it. WE have beers they will never taste. Do you pine for the trails you can't ride? Be content in being present, just that.

banned
    Apr 2009
    Just beer?? not according to what I read (it is an experience...) and what did Ben Franklin say, "God made beer for us!"

--All I like to have is something I can count on.. Like the sun rises in the morning, like my NFL team will make the Playoffs next year, etc etc..

Most importantly, after a hard day of anything I like to come home, relax and have my drink that I want, PERIOD!!! is that too much to ask??

It is nice to change things up (I myself do like different things as the weather changes)--but I live on the East Coast (it gets cold and snows)---it don't even rain in Southern Cali (and is warm and sunny all year..) so I am sure those folks like everything the same (so to speak..)

--It is about NOT having access to certain things (and who in America likes that??)

Craft beers are just another way to deny certain people (geographically) the same experience as someone else.. Do you think it is fair that Only 2 states in America let anyone buy weed legally?? Do you think it is fair that only Las Vegas has Legal Prostitution??

A Lot of folks would equate the availability of things (like I just said..)

--All I am saying is that IT SUCKS!!! --the reason for my posts...

And it would be a good idea for the Big Beer companies to 'take over' these small places (and mass produce EXACTLY how they do it) and make things available to both..

p.s. that is like telling someone who can go to an Ivy League School (No, just go somewhere else that could be almost equally as good....)

Or telling America you can ONLY buy Mercedes Benz on the East Coast (and BMW on the West Coast..) PLEASE---------

mtbr member

I feel that there's so much good, unique beer out there now that there's something for everyone no matter where you're at.

I can get Pliny if I try hard to find it. But there's so many other local brews that I think (I'm not really a beer snob) that are just as delicious.

mtbr member
    Seriously, relax a little. Pliny isn't that mind blowing. I too can get PTE if I try hard enough. But my local breweries are cranking out tasty IPAs that are just as good.
    And I don't think PTY is that great. Way over-hyped beer. Its only ranked where it is because it was the original triple IPA. And its rarity. But its only rare because they don't make very much. My local nano-brewery makes a triple IPA that I think is better than PTY, and they make a lot less of it. Maybe it should rank higher
    FWIW, PTY is somewhat of an outdated recipe. Its actually made with hop extract oils, not real hops, because they could not isomerize enough BTUs to get the bitterness they were looking for. Newer triple IPA recipes are made with all hops.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

Oh so you are just feeling entitled that you should be able to buy what you want when you want it? That's good to know.

Small batches are all about keeping quality high. They may not be consistent and some batches may be better than others but it is that hand made quality that really does taste better, even when it's not as good as the last batch.

Industrial food production has modern people convinced that consistency is good. It is not.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Brewtality View Post
    Seriously, relax a little. Pliny isn't that mind blowing. I too can get PTE if I try hard enough. But my local breweries are cranking out tasty IPAs that are just as good.
    Yep. This.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    This is why I hate beer ratings, obscure or hard to find beers that gets a cult following will always rate high. Nothing wrong with that but that's why you can't look at the scores. Pretty sure about 10 years ago Victory Storm King was the highest rated beer, now still a outstanding beer which never gets mentioned. This is a good time for craft with many, many awesome brews which I promise you can get your hands on so enjoy and don't worry about number chasing. If you happen to come across one, try it and enjoy.

mtbr member
    Glad I don't like IPA...I might be upset I can't get the best beer in the world and I'd have to shed a tear about it.

What I do shed a tear about is that I live in WV and beer selection here SUCKS! Both in the stores and the lack of microbreweries. Simply non-existent. It's sad for sure.

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by 247 View Post
    Do you think it is fair that only Las Vegas has Legal Prostitution?? [/B]
    Stay classy, trollmaster.

Knolliac
    1. Benjamin Franklin never said that.

2. Prostitution is illegal in Clark County (this includes Las Vegas).

3. Big beer companies buying out or "taking over" small craft beer operations is a horrible idea for many reasons.

banned
    Apr 2009
    For the record, here, in a letter addressed to André Morellet in 1779, is what Benjamin Franklin actually did say:

Behold the rain which descends from heaven upon our vineyards, there it enters the roots of the vines, to be changed into wine, a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy.

(Source: Isaacson, Walter. Benjamin Franklin: An American Life. New York: Simon and Schuster, 2003. p.374.)
    --that is what he said, but he did drink a lot of beer at times (I grew up in Philly) and know that to be true. So I am considering his misquoted beer quote to include beer..

----------------------------------------------
    You can drive to the Bunny Ranch from Vegas (I know folks who have)--so 'close enough with that one..
    ------------------------------------------------
    All I know with Big Beer taking over--is that what happened with Sierra Nevada Pale Ale???

All I know is this stuff is in every store in America (and around the world also)---

banned
    Apr 2009
    well I am getting into Craft beers now and will just have to try things like Dogfish Head 60---and be happy I guess....

--Just sucks that the BEST rated stuff you cannot get..

--And yeah, whoever made that Entitlement comment (back at ya')---

Because I know if there were things you could NOT get here in America that you might take for granted (you would be concerned...)

----------------------------------

That is why I HATE MLB Baseball (and LOVE NFL Football and NBA Basketball)----Everything is the same (the court/field itself)--

Baseball fields are all different (like access to THE BEST craft beers)--

SUCKS!!!!!!! because you will always have those at Coor's field who can hit home runs more often (unlike in Boston and that Green Monster wall)------Please I might be wrong about that also (no need to correct me)----YOU KNOW whet I mean...........

--So just have a (second-fiddle) craft beer, and Chill on the responses (hating 247......)

Knolliac

I know what Franklin actually said. You horrible misquoted him in your previous post (actually made up something entirely).

Nevada is a state where prostitution is permitted. Not all counties and cities allow it.

Sierra Nevada Brewing is a privately owned venture and named a top green business in 2010. An award that a corporate beer conglomerates like Anheuser-Busch InBev will likely never get. And they will never produce beers of the quality and variety of a Sierra, Russian River, Stone, Dogfish Head, etc. Why, because the share holders only concern is making profit.

You can keep bending the facts to fit your needs/argument but that doesn't make them true.

mtbr member

I had a draft pint of Pliny the Elder last night in Philadephia. Monks Cafe. Not my favorite beer.
    --Reamer

SC Tallboy LTc
    Ventana ECDM 26
    ventana el Ciclon
    Litespeed Classic
    Seven Ti Axion Tandem
    1989 Stumpjumper

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Hah!, and to think I thought this was going to be a thread about the craft beers out there that taste like ****. Don't get me wrong I like most craft beers that I try but once in a while I get one that just gives me that major blech factor. Just this past weekend, by the recommendation of a friend I tried Starr hill love. It was like drinking a rose in bloom. Need I say, blech. Right now I'm drinking Milwaukee best Ice. The good, 6.50 a 12 pack and actually has a little kick. But probably my favorite craft beer at the moment is natty green buckshot. My 2 cents for what its worth.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Well, at least there is Magic Hat #9 available at all of your area Fuddrucker's, 247. You and all your Fortune 500 boyz will just have to settle for a pitcher of The Hat and your choice of bun toppings until you can get your LA friends to trade you some Pliny for the Sam Adams seasonal pack.
    Noogie...Noogie...Noogie.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Slow Danger View Post
    Well, at least there is Magic Hat #9 available at all of your area Fuddrucker's, 247. You and all your Fortune 500 boyz will just have to settle for a pitcher of The Hat and your choice of bun toppings until you can get your LA friends to trade you some Pliny for the Sam Adams seasonal pack.
    Thank gawd.

mtbr member
    Learn how to brew for yourself and quit being a little ***** about it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by moefosho View Post
    Learn how to brew for yourself and quit being a little ***** about it.
    I was about to post something similar...

banned
    Apr 2009
    You do not the Fortune 500 crowd.. that 1%, those fools will leave you stranded on the side of the road driving their Porsche Turbo's.. My boy from L.A. would have $5,000 in his pocket at all times and NEVER pay for his $12 draft beer (at the clubs in Philly..) Never leave a tip, Nothing..

That crowd is like rolling with Tiger Woods (who NEVER TIPS)----those are Real Jerks!!

Next time I hop a red-eye out there to the Bay Area I am going to replace some Coors light in their Pliny bottles....

or chop up some McDonlads fish sandwiches in their Fishermans Wharf dinner (while they take call from Japan....)

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    You do not the Fortune 500 crowd.. that 1%, those fools will leave you stranded on the side of the road driving their Porsche Turbo's.. My boy from L.A. would have $5,000 in his pocket at all times and NEVER pay for his $12 draft beer (at the clubs in Philly..) Never leave a tip, Nothing..

That crowd is like rolling with Tiger Woods (who NEVER TIPS)----those are Real Jerks!!

Next time I hop a red-eye out there to the Bay Area I am going to replace some Coors light in their Pliny bottles....

or chop up some McDonlads fish sandwiches in their Fishermans Wharf dinner (while they take call from Japan....)
    Hey, I hear you, 247. The 1% can't be trusted. But who else is going to trickle me down some dough so that I can afford Magic Hat #9, or, better yet, the two best beers on the planet: Pliny #1 & Pliny#2. When I'm visiting my boys from NYC, I head on down to Wall St. and wear a sign that says: Will trade stocks for Pliny. I always get my hook-up.

banned
    Apr 2009
    Hey Slow... when I was a day trader on Wall Street that was when I had the Magic Hat#9 the first time... Best beer on the Planet.. pick yourself up some quick...

You need something to drink, bro...

Let me know when you come up to Manhattan, I'll take you out with my old boys' to a spot up there you might like.....

in fact come down to Philly, I drive up to Trenton and catch the train.. I have to take my (old Beamer) out Friday to get it detailed..

Gonna trade this bad boy in for last years M3.... Plus white was too hard keeping clean...

I want t0 get a MAGIC HAT#9 sticker on the bumper also...

p.s. My Boy's from L.A. LOVED the rims on my whip.... must be a West Coast Thing (I do not understand..) the 5-stars I wanted were aluminum and bent to easily...

--ALSO this is my 10%er ride... So there will be no trickle down of my funds to you bro....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Craft Beer (The BAD side..)--Example:Pliny...-eric-philly-bmw.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Hey Slow... when I was a day trader on Wall Street that was when I had the Magic Hat#9 the first time... Best beer on the Planet.. pick yourself up some quick...

You need something to drink, bro...

Let me know when you come up to Manhattan, I'll take you out with my old boys' to a spot up there you might like.....
    Watch for the man wearing the Pliny sign.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast