Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

The Court Jester of Beers Game

I used to believe that the best of beers could be easily detected by the most novice of beer drinkers. I soon ditched that thought when one day, an old man at a bar bet me that I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between my Michelob and the bottom basement brand sold for cheap at the neighborhood grocery store.

I told him to put his money where his mouth was. We ended up betting fifty bucks on the proposition.

He waited for me to go to the restroom. When I returned, there were six cans of beer before me all in a straight line. Each had napkins neatly taped around them to obsure the brand. He told me to pull the ones that I thought were quality beers.

I asked him, "How many quality beers are in this line-up?"

He replied, "You're the expert, you tell me!"

I ended up tasting all six of 'em and snatching three of the beers out of the line-up. He asked, "Are you sure?"

I said, "I pulled them, didn't I!"

What I had pulled, was one Blatz, one Pabst, and one Old Milwaukee! All basement bottom beers! I accused him of playing some kinda trick and asked him why he didn't place my Michelob in the line-up. He told the barmaid to remove the napkins. There was a Coors and a Millers in the line up along with one Michelob. I couldn't even ID my own beer!

That was the fastest fifty bucks that old man ever made in his entire life and I felt like the court's jester!

Since then, I've challenged so many people and won so many bets, that I just thought I'd pass the winnings along.

Line 'em up and win!
    Last edited by MoabiSlim; 05-17-2011 at 02:54 AM.
    God gave birds, wings to fly .... He gave us, Jamis!

mtbr member
    1: those are all garbage beers
    2: those were all probally cold ( cold numbs the palate and masks flavors)
    3: If you had already drank anything your palate would be compromised already anyway
    4: those are all garbage beers
    5: drinking from a can masks flavors because there is no room for aroma to reach your nose. aroma is a large part of detecting flavors. just ask science.
    6: That old man got you good.

Call me a beer snob. People riding walmart bikes call me a bike snob.

mtbr member
    I had to reply again....."the best of beers"? really?

Have you ever heard of beers like:
    -Mother of all Storms? its a 13% Bourbon Barleywine.
    -Chocolate Rain? it's a 18% Russian Imperial Stout brewed with Cacao Nibs.
    -Beatification? Brewed with Saccharomyces, Brettanomyces, Lactobacillus, Pediococcus, it is a sour and tart dry citrus bomb of a sour wild ale.
    -Pliny the Elder? The Amarillo & Simcoe Hop additions give it a tropical & resinous quality
    -Bourbon County Rare? Stout aged 2 years in 23yr old pappy van winkle barrels.

There is no way you could confuse bottles like these with your "best of beers".

When you are comparing 6 beers that have corn as a primary in the malt bill, there isn't much to work with.

smartass
    He had you from the start. It was impossible to pull a quality beer out of that piss water line up.

Beer Please!
    Quote Originally Posted by amish_matt
    He had you from the start. It was impossible to pull a quality beer out of that piss water line up.

No Kidding, Not one of those beers was quality.

You are either trolling this thread like the guy who started the "light beer" thread, or just not really a beer fan. People who drink Bud, Coors, etc etc are not fans of beer.

On a side note, I was able to identify Pliny the Elder in a Blind Double IPA tasting, because for my pallet, I put Pliny below many other Double IPA's. So, comparison beer tasting can be done, if done right.
    telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by amish_matt
    I always considered Budweiser, Michelob, Coors, and Miller's High Life to be pretty much, quality standard American beers.

Are you saying that the average American beer is of low quality?
    Last edited by MoabiSlim; 05-18-2011 at 02:31 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr
    No Kidding, Not one of those beers was quality.

You are either trolling this thread like the guy who started the "light beer" thread, or just not really a beer fan. People who drink Bud, Coors, etc etc are not fans of beer.

On a side note, I was able to identify Pliny the Elder in a Blind Double IPA tasting, because for my pallet, I put Pliny below many other Double IPA's. So, comparison beer tasting can be done, if done right.

Hey there Klurejr,

I know far too many people who drink a six pack of either Bud or Miller's per day to say that they're not fans of beer. Ha!

AND- You would suggest that I might be trolling....why?

I don't comprehend.....

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by MoabiSlim
    If always considered Budweiser, Michelob, Coors, and Miller's High Life to be pretty much, quality standard American beers.

Are you saying that the average American beer is of low quality?
    Troll

Afric Pepperbird
    Quote Originally Posted by Hand/of/Midas
    1: those are all garbage beers
    2: those were all probally cold ( cold numbs the palate and masks flavors)
    3: If you had already drank anything your palate would be compromised already anyway
    4: those are all garbage beers
    5: drinking from a can masks flavors because there is no room for aroma to reach your nose. aroma is a large part of detecting flavors. just ask science.
    6: That old man got you good.

Call me a beer snob. People riding walmart bikes call me a bike snob.
    The man who calls Blatz a garbage beer surely knows not of which he talks.

Sure, you and I and the rest of the world love craft beers, but for light American lagers, when one wants a change of pace, some are head and shoulders above others, and are rather quite quaffable.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer
    The man who calls Blatz a garbage beer surely knows not of which he talks.
    Your right.

I only have Head Brewmasters in other states send me free beer to review, and travel around the country to brew pubs(Bend Deschutes was nice BTW, yes i drove there from chicago) and trade hundreds of bottles a year.

I am an idiot when it comes to beer, my words can not be taken serious.

Now where is that Free Event Horizon i got sent to review................

Afric Pepperbird
    Quote Originally Posted by Hand/of/Midas
    Your right.

I only have Head Brewmasters in other states send me free beer to review, and travel around the country to brew pubs(Bend Deschutes was nice BTW, yes i drove there from chicago) and trade hundreds of bottles a year.

I am an idiot when it comes to beer, my words can not be taken serious.

Now where is that Free Event Horizon i got sent to review................
    That's odd, you only seemed to quote the first sentence of my post. Have you already forgotten the rest??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Supadave
    Troll

Please! Just give me a clue as to what gives you the impression that I'm a troll.

How am I being a troll by asking a legit question?

Anyway, what's a troll?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Please! Just give me a clue as to what gives you the impression that I'm a troll.

How am I being a troll by asking a legit question?

Anyway, what's a troll?
    Seriously? I'll bite.

A troll is someone who says something inflamatory in a forum to get a rise out of people.
    As most folks who appreciate beer would not consider any of the macro brews that you mentioned to be good by any stretch of the imagination, it appears that you've started this thread to get a rise out of people.

mtbr member
    Seriously? I'll bite.

A troll is someone who says something inflamatory in a forum to get a rise out of people.
    As most folks who appreciate beer would not consider any of the macro brews that you mentioned to be good by any stretch of the imagination, it appears that you've started this thread to get a rise out of people.
    Well SupaDave,

In my neck of the woods, Michelob and Miller's Highlife are considered to be good beers.

I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about when you say that the "macro beers" are no good by any stretch of the imagination.

Most people I know consider a case of Bud, Michelob, or Miller's, a blessing. You bring a case of one of these so-called "macro beers" to a barbecue or party and you will rate quite highly.

Perhaps I'm hangin' with the wrong crowd, but they're my crowd!

PS.

Thanx for the explanation...

Whiteknuckle Roller
    While I myself enjoy "Good Beer" the majority of the time, there are times when a cold Coors Light or a Rainier fit the bill. You beer snobs need to get a life and stop taking it so seriously. Tastes vary brother and their ain't nothing wrong with that. And seriously no one cares if Micros send you free beer to test. It doesn't make you a beer connoisseur, just makes you a lucky man. Enjoy it and take it down a notch.
    Ride on!

Afric Pepperbird
    Quote Originally Posted by runkmaster
    While I myself enjoy "Good Beer" the majority of the time, there are times when a cold Coors Light or a Rainier fit the bill. You beer snobs need to get a life and stop taking it so seriously. Tastes vary brother and their ain't nothing wrong with that. And seriously no one cares if Micros send you free beer to test. It doesn't make you a beer connoisseur, just makes you a lucky man. Enjoy it and take it down a notch.
    This ^^^

Of course I'd rather choose a fine crafted ale 98 times out of 100. But a cold PBR or Sewers, err... Coors, after cutting the lawn is very refreshing. It does have a taste. Is the taste as good as an Imperial IPA, or The Abyss? Of course not. But it's still a fine taste if you let it be.

Beer Please!
    Hey there Klurejr,

I know far too many people who drink a six pack of either Bud or Miller's per day to say that they're not fans of beer. Ha!

AND- You would suggest that I might be trolling....why?

I don't comprehend.....

People who think that Bud or MIller's etc etc is good quality beer are correct on one point. That beer is scientifically designed and produced to make sure every single bottle tastes exactly like the next. So the Quality Control is very good. But in the same breath they are people who do not really like beer. Fizzy Yellow Macro Brew is beer you drink because you want a buzz, or you want to maintain your buzz, it is not beer you drink because you truly enjoy the complexities of Hops, Malt, Barrel aging, Belgium Yeasts, and all of the other complexities that make Craft Beer so much better than Macro Beer.

In my opinion people who drink bud, miller, etc are not beer fans in general.

Have you tried any Craft Brew?

And as stated before you are being labeled as a troll because this forum is 99% Craft Beer fans, if you spent a few min looking at some of the existing threads you would see that. No one goes into the "what is your favorite beer" thread and says they like bud.

I will give you the benefit of the doubt, perhaps you have never been properly introduced to a good beer. Start looking for liquor stores in your area that carry good craft beer, spend some time on beeradvocate.com to help you find something that sounds like it will match your pallet. If you cannot find anything in your area, use the Beer Advocate site to help you find ways to get good beer, Visit a Brew Pub. Try a Belgium Geuze, a Belgium Triple, a Belgium Blonde, an American Porter, a Baltic Porter, a Barrel aged stout or porter, an American IPA, Double IPA or Triple IPA, a Smoked Double Bock, etc, etc,etc.

You may not like everything in that list, but I am sure you will find something that will change your mind as to what a good quality beer should taste like.

And then get back to us and let us know if you still think Bud and the crew are Quality Beers.
    telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr
    People who think that Bud or MIller's etc etc is good quality beer are correct on one point. That beer is scientifically designed and produced to make sure every single bottle tastes exactly like the next. So the Quality Control is very good. But in the same breath they are people who do not really like beer. Fizzy Yellow Macro Brew is beer you drink because you want a buzz, or you want to maintain your buzz, it is not beer you drink because you truly enjoy the complexities of Hops, Malt, Barrel aging, Belgium Yeasts, and all of the other complexities that make Craft Beer so much better than Macro Beer.

In my opinion people who drink bud, miller, etc are not beer fans in general.

Have you tried any Craft Brew?

And as stated before you are being labeled as a troll because this forum is 99% Craft Beer fans, if you spent a few min looking at some of the existing threads you would see that. No one goes into the "what is your favorite beer" thread and says they like bud.

I will give you the benefit of the doubt, perhaps you have never been properly introduced to a good beer. Start looking for liquor stores in your area that carry good craft beer, spend some time on beeradvocate.com to help you find something that sounds like it will match your pallet. If you cannot find anything in your area, use the Beer Advocate site to help you find ways to get good beer, Visit a Brew Pub. Try a Belgium Geuze, a Belgium Triple, a Belgium Blonde, an American Porter, a Baltic Porter, a Barrel aged stout or porter, an American IPA, Double IPA or Triple IPA, a Smoked Double Bock, etc, etc,etc.

You may not like everything in that list, but I am sure you will find something that will change your mind as to what a good quality beer should taste like.

And then get back to us and let us know if you still think Bud and the crew are Quality Beers.

Dear Sir,

I've been to Europe on three separate ocassions. I've been to Canada too many times to count. I've been to Mexico seven times. Every time I went to Mexico, I tasted at least five to six different beers. While in Europe, I tasted about twenty different beers. I quite possibly have tasted even more, due to the fact that while in England, a pub owner personally served me one beer after the next in order for me to compare the subtle differences between Irish, Scottish, English, and German ales. After about the fifth beer, I got 'em all mixed up! They were all good!

However, I remember acquiring a special fondness for the Scottish ale. It somehow reminded me of barbecue...

The Canadians and Mexicans all make excellent beer too! Of course, America makes the King of all beers____Budweiser!

The point is, many different countries make similar things, different ways. Instead of finding ways to negatively criticize the different beers.

Why not find ways to appreciate the good things about each beer and about each country?

Especially our own!

The Court Jester of Beers Game-budweiser_wallpaper_0_sml-1.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Dear Sir,

I've been to Europe on three separate ocassions. I've been to Canada too many times to count. I've been to Mexico seven times. Every time I went to Mexico, I tasted at least five to six different beers. While in Europe, I tasted about twenty different beers. I quite possibly have tasted even more, due to the fact that while in England, a pub owner personally served me one beer after the next in order for me to compare the subtle differences between Irish, Scottish, English, and German ales. After about the fifth beer, I got 'em all mixed up! They were all good!

However, I remember acquiring a special fondness for the Scottish ale. It somehow reminded me of barbecue...

The Canadians and Mexicans all make excellent beer too! Of course, America makes the King of all beers____Budweiser!

The point is, many different countries make similar things, different ways. Instead of finding ways to negatively criticize the different beers.

Why not find ways to appreciate the good things about each beer and about each country?

Especially our own!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A Budweiser_Wallpaper_0_sml-1.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	78.0 KB 
ID:	615644
    Seriously no clue, hey?

mtbr member
    Seriously no clue, hey?

If you're referring to my being a troll by expressing my opinion about the virtues of other cultures and their beer, we should all be on the same page there.

If you suspect me of being a troll because I flatly refuse to denigrate American beer, then I stand defiantly in the light of your accusation. I have far too many friends, associates, and relatives who agree with me, that America makes good beer too!

American families have placed their names on the very beer that they have staked their reputations upon. They have taken pride in producing a quality product for which, many Americans have acquired a taste. I am one of those Americans!

Have I placed blinders on and ostracized foreign countries who also share a rich heritage in the cultural development of their own ales and beer? I don't think so.

I think that we can all appreciate something about most brews, be they of micro, macro, or foreign origin. Of course, sometimes there's just something about a specific taste that we dislike in many things, including beer. However, that is usually and individual proclivity based upon personal subjective thought and certainly not any scientific study or empirical research, based upon any objective deduction.

Cheers my friend!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    If you're referring to my being a troll by expressing my opinion about the virtues of other cultures and their beer, we should all be on the same page there.

If you suspect me of being a troll because I flatly refuse to denigrate American beer, then I stand defiantly in the light of your accusation. I have far too many friends, associates, and relatives who agree with me, that America makes good beer too!

American families have placed their names on the very beer that they have staked their reputations upon. They have taken pride in producing a quality product for which, many Americans have acquired a taste. I am one of those Americans!

Have I placed blinders on and ostracized foreign countries who also share a rich heritage in the cultural development of their own ales and beer? I don't think so.

I think that we can all appreciate something about most brews, be they of micro, macro, or foreign origin. Of course, sometimes there's just something about a specific taste that we dislike in many things, including beer. However, that is usually and individual proclivity based upon personal subjective thought and certainly not any scientific study or empirical research, based upon any objective deduction.

Cheers my friend!
    For a Gentleman who uses words such as proclivity and denigrate you appear to lack reading comprehension or understand context.

Any accusations that you are trolling in these forums is due to your promotion of big brand beer and true or feigned ignorance as to why that would draw posters ire in an actual beer forum.

"good" beers productions is not exclusive to any country, so I suggest you take your flag waving nationalism elsewhere, the USA makes some of the most fantastic micro brews, anhueser busch does not.

You are promoting Bigmacs on a fine food forum, you are singing the praises of Huffy bicycles to XC racers.

Derptastic

Especially our own!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A Budweiser_Wallpaper_0_sml-1.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	78.0 KB 
ID:	615644
    Anheuser-Busch is no longer an American company. Neither is Miller or Coors.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Sam Adams is the biggest brew house that's still actually American owned. They make good beer. American Beer is good.

Coors, Bud, Miller etc is NOT good beer. Nor is it American anymore.

Now if you're a fan of lagers there are a ton of good brewers that make a great lager. Try something easy like Full Sail's Session.

Nobody here is saying that after a 5 hour ride when you get back to somebody's car at the trailhead and they're passing out the PBR that we'd pass on it. Just that if they were passing out bottles of Black Butte Porter we'd be happier about it. It is good beer.

mtbr member
    For a Gentleman who uses words such as proclivity and denigrate you appear to lack reading comprehension or understand context.

Any accusations that you are trolling in these forums is due to your promotion of big brand beer and true or feigned ignorance as to why that would draw posters ire in an actual beer forum.

"good" beers productions is not exclusive to any country, so I suggest you take your flag waving nationalism elsewhere, the USA makes some of the most fantastic micro brews, anhueser busch does not.

You are promoting Bigmacs on a fine food forum, you are singing the praises of Huffy bicycles to XC racers.
    Sometimes I'm in the mood for a Bigmac and sometimes I'm in the mood for fillet mignon.
    Sometimes I'm in the mood for roasted turbot smothered in beurre blanc sauce with a side of asparagus and washed down with a nice sauvignon blanc.
    On the other hand, sometimes I'd just like to open a can of sardines soaked in oil and sandwiched between Keebler Crackers, only to be washed down with a nice cold Miller's.
    Words are the vehicles of our mind's expressions. It's nice to have many vehicles. You get to manifest your mood and express your mind's every nuance to all sentient beings willing to observe.

Truly a poets delight!

PS.

I tend to believe that humans understand whatever they want to comprehend. Their hearts and souls pivot entirely upon the subjective. We are an easily led group of mammals who find it difficult to formulate opinion and thought without a leader or guided direction.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    You're such a piece of ****.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast