Thread: Costco Beer

mtbr member

Costco Beer

My local Costco just got a shipment of their Kirkland Signature Beer. $18.99 for a case. It includes:

Pale Ale
    German style Lager
    Amber Ale
    Hefeweizen

I saw a thread about this back in December 2008, but at that time it was brewed by someone on the West coast. The stuff we have is brewed by New Yorker Brewery out of Utica, NY. Tried to look them up but couldn't find anything.

Has anyone had an opportunity to try these brews? I have them cooling down right now and will give them a shot tonight. I usually try to stay away from the beer aisle at Costco, but this was too good a deal to pass up on what could be some tasty craft beer. Figured it was worth a shot.
    Signature

mtbr member
    The Pale Ale, in my opinion, was very good. The German Lager was okay. Drank too much to really figure out if the Hefeweizen and Amber Ale are any good. Will need to try those later.
    Signature

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Hefeweizen...amazing stuff.

Chronic 1st-timer
    The German lager & Amber ale were god.
    Thought the Pale ale wasn't quite there, & I ain't a fan of wheat, so I skipped those.

Good deal for $18.99.
    Les grimpées, je m'en fou!

mtbr member
    So I learned something interesting on the Brooklyn Beer tour yesterday. They contract out their regular 12oz beer brewing to the same brewery that is contracted by Costco for this Kirkland beer. Cannot remember the name, but it wasn't called the "New Yorker Brewing Co" as indicated on ths side of the box.
    Signature

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    In a slightly unrealted matter, I don't have a Costco where I live. I have heard favorable comments on their business operations.

Where I live there is a Sam's Club 50 miles away. Every spring they have a Mexican beer sampler that is a good deal. I usaully pick one up.

I guess at the end of the day it is the brewery that a person ultimately supports and not so much the retailer.

I guess if the beer is not old why not take a chance on it? I like to try new beers at least once. I usually do this by the six pack so my investment is small.

mtbr member
    Costco has good stuff, and from what I hear their business operations are a good thing. Unlike Wal-Mart they treat there employees well- pay a good wage, offer benefits...etc. That said, while Costco has quality merchandise, especially food wise, I'm not a fan of the store. The one closest to our house is very popular and I can think of better ways to spend my Saturdays than being dragged through a store buying up stuff that doesn't fit in our pantry and requires a second fridge/freezer.

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by A1an
    So I learned something interesting on the Brooklyn Beer tour yesterday. They contract out their regular 12oz beer brewing to the same brewery that is contracted by Costco for this Kirkland beer. Cannot remember the name, but it wasn't called the "New Yorker Brewing Co" as indicated on ths side of the box.
    The stuff I drank was brewed in San Jose, CA...presumably by Gordon Biersch

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    Weird. I'm guessing it has something to do with alcohol distribution laws/regs or it perhaps they split production to a couple different brewers to guarantee the regions get the freshest beer (i.e. they aren't producing over on the West coast to transport all the way over to the East coast).
    Signature

Waiting for my Obamabucks
    I wasn't impressed with any of the Kirkland's in that case. I'm in SoCal. My local liquor store has Stone and Chimay. I'm set.
    2010 Santa Cruz Blur LT2, Fox TALAS Terralogic, Fox RP23 shock, SRAM X0, XTR Trail Brakes, Stans/Chris King Wheelset

mtbr member
    May 2004
    FWIW - most states have laws that dictate that alcohol sales cannot be restricted. ANYONE can buy costco's beers (or any of the beer they sell).

I would do a quick google search, print out the law reference and take it with you if you are going in.

mtbr member
    I'm not sure where I heard this, but I was told it was from Red Hook brewery. Brewed in San Jose would let me believe GB also.

I know some local pubs around here that have beers named after themselves are brewed by Red Hook also.

My other ride is your mom
    I just googled it....found several sources saying Gordon Biersch does the brewing.....and they also do the brewing for my other favorite budget beer.....Simple Times sold by Trader Joes.

For the sampler at Costco...it's a good deal. For the 6 pack of Simple Times at $2.99....it's a steal.

Thread Killer
    supposedly, the costco/kirkland coffee is similar...i've been told that costco sources their coffee from fair-trade farmers and uses the same processing facilities that starsucks uses.

mtbr member
    Costco brand albacore tuna is manufactured by either Bumblebee or StarFish (can't remember which). Good stuff and super cheap.

I'm going to shoot an email to Brooklyn Brewery to see if they can tell me the name of that brewer in NY who does their berr and Kirkland's beer.
    Signature

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    this is correct
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/14828/48555

mtbr member
    Saranac Brewery (also known as Matt Brewing) is a major brewery in Utica, and I assume the brewery contracted by Costco. They have good beer, I used to drink it all the time when I lived in NY. The Costco case doesn't have styles I am that crazy about, so I haven't bothered to try it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Aldi Beer hahaha

FWIW the Costco near me has fairly inconsistent offerings, but their Kirkland brand does seem to be the Gordon Biersch stuff. Last visit picked up the "case" of three sixers of Belgians, Hoegaarden, Leffe and Stella Artois for $21, maybe 21.99?
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique