Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Sockaholic
    Oct 2005

Cooking with beer

Making a family favorite, split pea rarebit with Stone Smoke Porter w/ chipotle peppers.

Yum!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cooking with beer-100_0519.jpg  

NONDURO
    Nice! I use beer in cooking on a regular basis. Marinades, sauces, reductions, in soups/stews, in bread, etc. Of course I save plenty for me though!
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

Paper Mill Aleworks
    Sounds great!
    I try and utilize it where I can...stew, chili, baked goods, reductions, etc.
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Winston Churchill

Retired User

How about freezing with beer?

Homemade Guinness ice cream.

Beer Please!
    That actually sounds like a good use for a chilli beer.

My wife picked up some cheap KBC Pumpkin ale 2 weeks ago, it was not very good. HOWEVER, she used it for a batch of beer bread and it was amazing! The pumpkin spices came through in the bread just a wee bit, which was perfect.
    telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by norton55 View Post
    Making a family favorite, split pea rarebit with Stone Smoke Porter w/ chipotle.
    What's the recipe?

Sockaholic
    Oct 2005
    OK, here is the recipe.

This is 5 portion recipe so adjust accordingly.

Cook 1/2 split peas firm, don't overcook as they will get mushy in the sauce.

Saute, in oil, one small or medium onion chopped. I like onions so I go with more. Saute until carmelized.

Cook 1.5 cups brown or white rice. This is a vegan recipe so it calls for rice, but the traditional way is to use toasted bread.

Make cheese sauce. 1/4 cup oil, 1/4 cup flour, 12oz. beer, 1/2 tsp salt, 1 tbsp tomato paste, dash of nutmeg, 1/4 tsp dry mustard, 1/2 tsp worcestershire sauce, pinch of dried chili peppers and 1 cup grated cheese.

Make the roux, ( oil and flour ), let the flour get brown ( approx 2-3 min ) on a low flame, add the beer and all other ingredients (not cheese ) and stir until it gets thick. Add the cheese and cooked onions and pea's, keep stirring until smooth. You may need to add more beer if it gets too thick. Serve over the rice or bread, pour cold one and enjoy.

This is a great cold weather meal.

Note, using a blond beer makes the sauce lighter in color and a dark beer will make it darker.

My kids use to love this meal.

Beer Please!
    Sounds good, i did not think Vegans ate cheese.
    telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

Paper Mill Aleworks
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    Sounds good, i did not think Vegans ate cheese.
    He may have meant gluten-free?
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Winston Churchill

Sockaholic
    Oct 2005
    Sorry, I meant lacto-vegan.

derp
    I only use it when steaming clams and other shellfish, i sometimes use as a substitute for white wine when it happens to be out of it.
    But steaming any type of shellfish in beer is freaken awesome, just yesterday i steamed a couple of white and Vietnamese clams in beer and they tasted terribly good !
    Last edited by danielsilva; 10-23-2012 at 02:43 PM.
    2006 Cannondale Rush 650b
    2010 Cannondale Trail SL 650b
    2013 Norco Range Killer-B

Sockaholic
    Oct 2005
    Hey all, I'm wondering if we should sticky this thread and post all of our beer recipes?

Beer Please!
    wow, never heard of that.

Hey all, I'm wondering if we should sticky this thread and post all of our beer recipes?
    I second this motion.

You meant vegetarian.

Either way, sounds delicious.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Id scrap the passion forum all together, its a breeding ground for unicorn milkers, rainbow chasers and candy cotton farters.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Yes, wheat beers with the clams / mussels. Stay a way from the hoppy ones if you are reducing volume, they get too bitter. Brown ales/ porters work well. I like stouts in my chilli.

R.I.P. Pugsley.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    A great use for that cheap beer that someone inevitably brings to your house for a party and "lets you keep" when they leave.

Pour how ever many beers are left into large pot, add as many brats as you can fit and boil until they are cooked.
    Then when you are ready to eat them throw them on the grill for browning/reheating.

I've tried this with quality beer as well as garbage and it doesn't seem to make a difference in the final product. One caveat....do this outside, cooking bud light inside is somewhat nauseating.

Beer Please!
    Quote Originally Posted by TBarnaby View Post
    A great use for that cheap beer that someone inevitably brings to your house for a party and "lets you keep" when they leave.

Pour how ever many beers are left into large pot, add as many brats as you can fit and boil until they are cooked.
    Then when you are ready to eat them throw them on the grill for browning/reheating.

I've tried this with quality beer as well as garbage and it doesn't seem to make a difference in the final product. One caveat....do this outside, cooking bud light inside is somewhat nauseating.
    That sounds fantastic! I will have to try this at my next BBQ.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I worked at a fondue joint during college - here's a beer base cheese for your gluttony. We do them around the holidays, and really no other time because they are so rich. Ideally you will make these in a double boiler, where boiling water is heating the cooking bowl. This allows the cheese to melt without burning.

4 oz. beer
    4 oz. salsa
    1-3 cloves of garlic, minced in a little olive oil
    Hot Sauce
    ~ 8 ounces of 80/20 mix of sharp cheddar/emmenthaler swiss shredded and tossed in enough flower so that the shreds of cheese don't stick to one another.
    Cayenne pepper
    Black pepper
    hot sauce
    3 oz. small shrimp (optional)

pour beer and salsa into the double boiler and wait for it to steam. Stir in garlic and stir in cheese, adding small quantities of cheese so that melting is easy and you can gauge consistency. Whip the cheese with a fork until smooth, then add hot sauce, red and black pepper to taste. Put the shrimp in last if you choose to include it in the recipe. If the pot is full and the cheese is too runny, you can add flour to thicken.

Cubed up Granny Smith apples go incredibly well with this cheese, as do the other usual dipping subjects such as broccoli, carrots and bread. You can experiment, but I generally like to make the cheese with a malty beer (you get to finish the rest of the bottle while you're making the cheese) and pair it with a nice hoppy IPA.

NONDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by TBarnaby View Post
    Iíve got two brats, but I donít have a pot large enough to stuff them into.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

Sockaholic
    Oct 2005
    ^^^ sounds yummy! Boognish.

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
    Beer can chicken anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Id scrap the passion forum all together, its a breeding ground for unicorn milkers, rainbow chasers and candy cotton farters.

Sockaholic
    Oct 2005
    ^^^ The beer and cheese soup looks yummy!

Sockaholic
    Oct 2005
    Threw this in the crook pot, with potatoes, celery, carrots, onions, garlic and 1.5 bottles of Ballast Point Pale Ale.

Crock Pot Beer Chicken
    A wonderful and easy Chicken Crock Pot Recipe that tastes great and has just 3 Points +. This Slow Cooker Beer Chicken also makes a great Weight Watchers Super Bowl Recipe idea.

Ingredients
    2lbs skinless, boneless chicken breasts (I used 8 breasts, 4oz ea)
    1 bottle or can of your favorite beer (I used Guinness)
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp garlic powder
    1 tbsp dried oregano
    1/2 tsp black pepper
    Instructions
    Place all ingredients in the crock pot, and cook on high for 4-5 hrs, or low for 6-8 hrs.
    Feel free to change out the spices and herbs and use whatever youíd like.
    Preparation time: 5 minute(s)

Cooking time: 6 hour(s)

Read more: Crock Pot Beer Chicken Recipe - 3 Points + - LaaLoosh

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast