mtbr member

Cheap Summer Beer (Kirkland)

With the weather warming I have to begin thinking about things like cutting the grass, working in the garage, and burning things in the fire pit. All of these activities warrant drinking cheap watery beer. I've implemented a strict beer allowance for myself this year and need to maximize my investments. I typically enjoy the popular IPAs and local microbrews but I still can respect a good refreshing Busch light from time to time. This brings me to Kirkland Light beer from Costco. Has anyone actually tried this? It's about $22 for a 48 pack! I'm skeptical about anything this cheap but I'm also skeptical of the beer-snob reviews online. please share your experience.

Cheap Summer Beer (Kirkland)-b4igs0qcmaeinvj.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I have a friend that picked some of this up on a Costco run. It's what you would expect for a cheap light beer. Would definitely be a suitable lawnmower beer.

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
    I wish my Costco sold it, I'd drink it. I'm an equal opportunity drinker. I don't discriminate.

mtbr member
    I went and picked up a "crate" of this beer today. It's apparent that I'm not the only one that was intrigued. as I was loading my cart a man on the phone quickly hung up and asked me if I've tried this beer yet. I explained my curiosity and convinced him to go ahead as it's only $20. I'll kick back a few tonight and report in the morning.

mtbr member
    Did Hadnut ever survive his night with the Kirkland?

mtbr member
    It's like any domestic light beer, pure poison!!

mtbr member
    I did and it's really not bad at all. I was expecting it to be super watery but it has a decent flavor to it. more so than bud or busch light.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn View Post
    It's like any domestic light beer, pure poison!!
    This was the response I was expecting. Snob!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudnut View Post
    This was the response I was expecting. Snob!
    I'd rather be a snob than a smuck who drinks cheap shitty beer, any day! Go experiment with some good beer for a while and then go back and try to drink that poison. It's like ridding a top mountain bike for a while and then trying to ride a Wal Mart bike. You'll throw the WM bike away and never look back.

beater
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn View Post
    I'd rather be a snob than a smuck who drinks cheap shitty beer, any day! Go experiment with some good beer for a while and then go back and try to drink that poison. It's like ridding a top mountain bike for a while and then trying to ride a Wal Mart bike. You'll throw the WM bike away and never look back.
    ^this assumes that he (or anyone else) has never tried a quality beer, or didn't appreciate it. I stopped feeling defined by the beer in my hand when I was in my early 20s.

As much as I prefer and would almost always choose an artisanal wood-fired pie, sometimes a deep dish fried meat lovers "pizza" from Pizza Hut sounds pretty good. There's a time and place for anything. For example, spending the day floating is not the time for 6.9% ABV craft IPA. Not much of it, anyway. There are times when I'm perfectly happy to crush sh!tty beers for hours.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    ^this assumes that he (or anyone else) has never tried a quality beer, or didn't appreciate it. I stopped feeling defined by the beer in my hand when I was in my early 20s.

As much as I prefer and would almost always choose an artisanal wood-fired pie, sometimes a deep dish fried meat lovers "pizza" from Pizza Hut sounds pretty good. There's a time and place for anything. For example, spending the day floating is not the time for 6.9% ABV craft IPA. Not much of it, anyway. There are times when I'm perfectly happy to crush sh!tty beers for hours.
    Someone has to keep shitty beer companies in business.

mtbr member
    A friend swears by the Costco brand. I didnt like it as much as Bud Light or Coors Light, but to each their own. I did drink all of it though

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'll stick to my aluminum pints of Coors Light. To me the Kirkland beer is a nasty spawn of bud light and key light. It's not a bad taste I guess.. it's just weird.